5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant biography, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Inside The Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer (Paperback)
Let me apologise if this sounds like an advertisement, but the book is certainly the best biography I have ever read. Although I understand the physics, and have read other works about Oppenheimer and many of his colleagues, I couldn't put it down. Neither could a friend to whom I leant it. The book reads almost like a pot-boiler, but the research and quality of the writing are both excellent. I was fascinated to discover all sorts of details and anecdotes of which I was unaware, including yet another brilliant line from Dirac. Anyone with an interest in the Manhattan Project, its protagonists and its aftermath, must read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for a friend, 3 April 2014
He said he absolutely loved the book. Fortunately he has a back ground knowledge in science, without it he would have found it hard reading. Very Happy Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great work of literature, centred around the life of a great man…, 24 Feb. 2015
S. Ward (Warwickshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As great a biography as I have ever read – in fact, one of the greatest works of literature I have ever read – this is certainly as good as the other ‘rave’ reviews state. Utterly well-researched; the science does not get in the way (it is applied lightly, with a deft touch, just at the right moment; and in clear, precise language – just as with all the other research); and the writing is fluent and insightful.

I picked this up after being awestruck by the RSC’s breathtaking new play ‘Oppenheimer’: wanting to know more about the “father of the atom bomb” – and I was not disappointed. It does the great man justice, without attempting to hide the fact that, as well as being a great scientist, and a greater organizer and inspirer of men, he was a human being – with all the pride and flaws that comes with that.

Hard to put down (apart from the fact it’s a hefty thing: even in paperback) – and almost certainly of fundamental importance in vividly documenting an immensely important period of historical, military and scientific development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a previous reviewer, 27 Feb. 2015
Like a previous reviewer, I picked up the book after seeing the play at the RSC. My husband suggested that it might be too long and that I would not read it. Well, I haven't finished yet, but it is an excellent read. The amount of research is staggering, but for all the words (and small print!) it is very, very readable. It just takes a bit of time. But then, I don't really want it to finish :-)

Inside The Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer
Inside The Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Ray Monk (Paperback - 7 Nov. 2013)