5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece
This book is a masterpiece for me. It accompanied me throughout a long journey that I took in Europe in the past. It is written in a poetic way that makes you think, reflect and enter into the fantastic world of the invisible cities of Kublai Khan's empire, created by Calvino. Marco Polo works for the Khan. He has to visit many towns of the Mongolian empire so that later...
Published on 27 Oct 2006 by Luis A. G. Prado

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality Pretentiousness?
Authors like Calvino (along with similar authors such as Gabriel Garcia Marquez) tend to produce extreme reactions in their readers - as evidenced by the reviews for this book, which range from one star to five.
This is predominantly due to the elusive nature of the text. Upon a swift first reading, "Invisible Cities", could be regarded as a pleasing collection of...
Published on 23 Feb 2004 by M. Short

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Always love a good classic, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Invisible Cities (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
A short but sweet book, Calvino goes through so many faces of cities and does it very engagingly. Would definitely recommend to friends interested in urbanism and something a bit surreal

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Invisible Cities (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
Even though it struggles in the final chapters this is a truly outstanding work encompassing so much that to each reader a new city will given and experienced. Profound and beautiful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one thing or another, 5 Sep 2009
This review is from: Invisible Cities (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
Not poetry, not brilliant prose, not even any hint of hidden truths or meanings behind each description. A half a page of vague statements about some city, repeat several times, add in a few pages about interviews with the 'Khan' that are to be fair promising but never fully fleshed out, but then it is back to another series of half page descriptions. Repeat.

Sorry, I realise that this is an official vintage classic, and I have no doubt that no end of far more academic worthy persons than myself have certified this as such, and I never even made it to the end despite it being such a slim volume, but there are far better ways to spend my reading time than this.

Of course, maybe people who have researched some background to this book or author may get more out of this than me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear....., 19 Dec 2003
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Invisible Cities (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
......I suspect I am going to be massively outvoted in my thoughts on this book.
What is the point? Nothing happens. It bored me. It's only saving grace was that it was so short.
Ok maybe I'm being a tad unfair, there were afterall some beautiful descriptions but I just don't get it. I can see the appeal for some. Just not for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, 23 Sep 2012
Officer Dibble (Zummerzet) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It's short. Marco Polo recounts his adventures to Kublai Khan without a common language. Cue a raft of descriptions of cities with made-up names. These are each a couple of paragraphs long and they constitute a chapter. These are occasionally wrapped in more musings.

So much for the lay-out but what's it like to read? Mind-numbing.

Potential purchasers should read the reviews before buying. For some reason I didn't. Invisible Cities now has the dubious honour of being the first, and so far only, book which I have deleted from my kindle.

1.0 out of 5 stars oh my!, 25 Sep 2008
Nt Deregowski (Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invisible Cities (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
My eyelids feel heavy and sleep overcomes me whenever I open this book.

It is extremely dull to read this book, though I suspect you're considered a total Philistine for saying so in polite company.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Invisible Cities (Vintage Classics)
Invisible Cities (Vintage Classics) by Italo Calvino (Paperback - 2 Oct 1997)
5.59