4.0 out of 5 stars Poor style
Published on 26 Oct 2005 by Mr. J. Xiao

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This book is a fairly shallow re-write of "Manwatching" an analysis of body language that was published in 1977. Sadly, what was ground-breaking and innovative twenty-five years ago seems rather underwhelming today. Do we really need someone nowadays to tell us that we cross our arms when we're feeling insecure?
Desmond Morris was one of the first writers to get...
Published on 28 Oct 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor style, 26 Oct 2005
This review is from: Peoplewatching: The Desmond Morris Guide to Body Language (Paperback)
I've read this edition first, which was enjoyable , but then I saw the earlier edition in a second hand book shop. I was amazed by the contrast because the earlier edition was thoroughly illustrated with photographs, which made it very appealing and attractive. This edition have a short section of pictures attached in the middle, but sketch drawing used throughout to illustrate, which I find it rather dry to reading. I brought the earlier edition too as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 2 Jun 2004
By A Customer
I think Mr. Morris did an excellent job with Peoplewatching. I think it's a book that anyone wanting to learn more about human non-verbal communication can learn from. My other favorite book on body language, though a little more intimate, is The System by Roy Valentine. These are two books I will have and study for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 1 Sep 2010
This book is fantastic. It goes into great detail & is very informative. Desmond Morris tells it in a way that keeps you interested even at the boring parts. I'd definitely recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 Oct 2004
By A Customer
Desmond Morris was one of the first writers to get people really to think seriously about body language. If he wants still to hold our attention today, though, he needs to come up with something slightly more original and profound than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed if slightly flat, 7 Feb 2011
There is no doubt Desmond Morris has gone to great lengths to detail the workings of the human body and why we do the things we do. If anything, the detail is so extreme that parts can seem a little boring. However this is a very minor problem as the vast majority is informative.

One slight criticism I would have is that some comments seem to be more of the authors own personal thoughts rather than factually correct. Again, just a minor complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book on human behaviour, 1 July 2014
A formidable book on human behaviour. So well researched and explained. A most interesting work to help understand your own species. A must read at some time in your life, It should definetely form part of your home library. If you are interested in understanding what others do and why you should read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars People Wataching, 6 April 2013
this is a book to dip in and out of .It is always interesting and thought provoking i am enjoying it .

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating book, 6 Sep 2014
Was recommended this book following a course and I wasn't disappointed! Very comprehensive assessment of the human animal. A little old school in style but he writes with great authority. Book condition fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful tips, 22 Sep 2014
Includes a lot more about variations between cultures and countries than I expected.
Useful tips

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Nov 2014
Makes one wary of ones body language

Peoplewatching: The Desmond Morris Guide to Body Language
Peoplewatching: The Desmond Morris Guide to Body Language by Desmond Morris (Paperback - 2 May 2002)