5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely read from the brilliant Melissa Nathan.
Published on 20 Dec 2006 by cybergeek

3.0 out of 5 stars The Waitress
Published on 7 Nov 2004 by Newsbitch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely read from the brilliant Melissa Nathan., 20 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
By the time I read The Waitress, I had already read as many of the late Melissa Nathan's books as I could find (Persuading Annie is the last one to get!) as I was totally hooked by her style of writing. My favourite would have to be The Nanny; however, The Waitress was also a most enjoyable and satisfying read which had me staying up too late because I had to finish it!

The heroine is a woman with a personality which will strike a chord with many readers. She's funny, neurotic, strong willed and, yes on occasion, annoying and selfish, but who isn't? This is something Melissa Nathan was particularly good at; even though her heroines are all quite different she breathes real life into them and this humanity is what gives her books their warmth and vibrancy.

Kate can't quite decide what to do with her life, and matters are complicated further by -- you've guessed it -- a man. Not just any man either; he's her new boss. What follows is an engaging, realistic story which has plenty of laughs and some real poignancy and emotion, not forgetting some really well written romance. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 28 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
A beautiful book about the indecisive nature of life and how eventually you have to choose. The second book I read by Mellisa Nathan (the Learning Curve was the first) and just as enjoyable, if not more so. It is a shame that Melissa only ever published 5 books.

You can relate to this story really well. You will find it very hard to put down as it is such an excellent plot and will involve you all the way through. Excellent charcters that you really feel you get to know and a very interesting read. A brilliant love story: it will put you in a great mood. You may get lost in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb. Superior to the The Nanny, 29 Aug 2004
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
Worth 'waiting' for!!! Absolutely fantastic - I loved every page. The Nanny was, as we all know, completely brilliant, but the Waitress is even better. The characters are more rounded and more believable and the plot is gripping. We all know that the girl is going to get the boy right? But despite that it still keeps you guessing and hoping ... and laughing. The book is so clever in the way it has a theme about waiting in your life but it never makes it obvious and doesn't rub your nose in it. This isn't chick lit, this is literature. Buy it, read it, love it, read it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Waitress, 7 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
Melissa Nathan's The Waitress is her second novel after the success of chick-lit favourite The Nanny. Unfortunately, I had not had the pleasure of reading The Nanny before I picked up this title before work one day. The brief synopsis looked amusing, and as a fan of this modern genre I decided to purchase it. I adore reading, especially this kind of novel, and in all honesty, was very pleased with this book.

I am constantly engrossed in the chick-lit world, most probably due to the reason shared by many: we aspire to these characters. Being a student, I thoroughly understand career woes. The wonder, the confusion, the worry of where I will be ten years down the line...a lot of us have been there. And it was somewhat refreshing to see a novel boasting a future-confused heroine, as opposed to the office-based, high-flying city girls in the majority of these stories who appear to have it all, though obviously not - they're SO unlucky because the equally-successful boss they like doesn't love them back. The horror.

Heroine Kate Simmonds is a waitress. Not that she actually wishes to remain a waitress. But she has yet to decide on a career she is happy with, and one which will please her old-fashioned mother. Privately-educated Katie dreams of owning her own restaraunt and being her own boss. But the cafe in which she works is about to be taken over - by the man who she left in a restaraunt a week or so before after a disatrous date.

There is love in all chick-lit books, but I usually give the obviously lovey-dovey ones a miss. However, I found The Waitress quite amusing, however self-centred the main character may have seemed (someone so rude and ignorant and the best of times would not have been in a job long enough to eventually get it all, but hey, it's merely fiction,)

The book focuses mainly on Katie, though swicthes to different characters throughout the book, giving an insight into the lives of the people around Katie, which works perfectly well with the subplots. The characters are also entirely pleasing. Like Sukie - the out-of-work actress, and Katie's flatmate Jon; the serious, aspiring writer.

Admittedly, after reading the first chapter it did make me contemplate reading further. But I'm glad I did - I found the book hard to put down. The ending seemed to be rather hurried, though I found it enjoyable nonetheless. I loved the writing style, the humour, and the tale of a girl who does a normal job like the majority of women out there.

In all, a good read. I am going to purchase The Nanny in near future owing to its great reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Dissapointing, 23 Aug 2004
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
I absolutely loved The Nanny and was really excited about this book, but felt a little dissapointed when reading the Waitress. it was still a really good read, but i had rather high expectations which were let down and thus resulted in my disapointment in this book. the main chracter Katie felt a little unreal and undeveloped in relation to Jo in the nanny. As well as in The Nanny, Melissa nathan looks at more than just the main character, so the reader is able to explore many other people in greater depth. i felt that this was not done as good as it was in the nanny.
My high expectations of this book from all of nathan's previuos books perhaps clouded my jugdement of the waitress slighty. it is still entertaining, funny and a good read but not as to the same brilliance as The Nanny.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what you need!, 23 Oct 2005
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
I read the waitress in a couple of days because once i got into it i couldn't put it down. It's an excellent read and if you like a love story then it will suit you even more.
I think that kate (main charactor) relates to most people as she constantly changes her mind about what she wants to do with her life (a bit like myself) At one point i was laughing the next i was crying and had to put the book down to wipe my eyes thats how good it is. After reading this book i am now going to read mellissa nathens other books. Enjoy the read. michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and warm, yet drags on!, 14 Aug 2004
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
After reading Melissa Nathan's book 'The Nanny', I was really looking forward to another well-written, funny and uplifting novel.
The book seemed promising at first but soon began to wear thin - the main character's self-obsessed plights make for dull points in an otherwise good plot. I kept waiting for the fun to start, and this never really happened.
The characters were pretty one-dimensional and I never could really emphathise with them as I was able to in 'The Nanny'. However, the novel did have high points too - Nathan's easy style of writing and enticing scene descriptions add to an otherwise average book.
My advice? Buy it if you're a Melissa Nathan fan, but if you're looking for a better book search elsewhere!

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappoinment, 24 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
I really tried to finish this book but couldn't bring myself to do so. The "heroine", Katie, is possibly one of the most self-indulgent and annoying fictional characters that I have had to read about (or endure). She's either being purposefully aggressive and confrontational with the love intetest, Dan, or feeling sorry for herself as she can't decide what to do with her life at 24 (who does!) and reckons that she is past it... I found the parts, when she wasn't in it (Matt and his teenage angst, Jon's adventures into the world of writing etc.) more exciting and appealing.
I think that "The Waitress", after "The Nanny", which I really enjoyed, is a let down. If Melissa Nathan is going to follow this up she has got to make the main character far more likeable (have some bad points, but some good too - unless she wants all of her characters to be the Ronnie and Reggie Krays of the light, frothy, romantic literary world).

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, 12 May 2006
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
This is the second book by this author that I've enjoyed, the first being "The Nanny". Interesting characters,quick plot twists,and very funny dialogue! Laugh out loud funny!Buy this if you need a good laugh! It will lighten your day! I look forward to reading more from this author!

2.0 out of 5 stars A by the numbers book, 14 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Waitress (Paperback)
The heroine is Katie Simmonds a waitress who changes her mind every other week on what career she will go into so stays a waitress. She shares a flat with Jon a budding author (who has trouble with inspiration for his 2nd novel - now there's and interesting coincidence!).
Katie goes on the date from hell with Dan, who then ends up owning the café she works in. Dan meanwhile is engaged but not in love!
The 2 main characters you really don't care about, however some of the minor characters lift the book from being a totally dull been done before read.
This book is way too formulaic and long.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Waitress
The Waitress by Melissa Nathan (Paperback - 19 Aug 2004)
6.39