4.0 out of 5 stars a witty, hilarious romantic comedy!
As Jo Green blows her candles out on her 23rd birthday cake, she realises she wants more from life than ending a village nanny stuck with her predictable boyfriend Shaun.So she takes a nannying job in London and is catapolted into a vastly different world of riches and confusion with no time to spare.
The tapestry of characters woven into Melissa Nathan's third novel...
Published on 10 April 2003 by welsh_anna

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!
I bought this book knowing that I was buying chick lit and it turned out to be exactly that:
funny, witty, relaxing.
I recommend it if you want to spend some time relaxing and forgetting your troubles.
It is good!
Enjoy it!
Published on 1 Jun. 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars a witty, hilarious romantic comedy!, 10 April 2003
This review is from: The Nanny (Paperback)
The tapestry of characters woven into Melissa Nathan's third novel is impressive,from the childrens antics at school to the nannies and bickering parents, each person is presented in depth.The sexual tension between Jo and her new flatmate Josh is entertainingly written.
You could be deceived by the cover into thinking this is just another chick lit.Its addictive to read, hilarious in parts, i found it hard to put down.I was only dissapointed when i finnished it that there wasn't more.This book is definitely on a par with 'Ralph's party'
Give this one a try - you wont be dissappointed.Its an interesting insight into the life of a nanny, and a satisfying love story, full of wit and humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this Book!, 25 April 2003
This review is from: The Nanny (Paperback)
I've read Melissa Nathan's other books - Pride, Prejudice, and Jasmine Field and Persuading Annie and really liked them. I loved the Jane Austen twist and Nathan exhibited quite a hand with cute plots and clever dialog. Liking those books as I did, I made a point to purchase The Nanny as soon as it came out in paperback. I have to admit - I was blown away by this book. Much as I liked the other two, this one is in another class. Nathan's talent seems to have just exploded - this book is much more satisfying. It's still full of her trademark humor (a bit sarcastic and I love it - but it's not off-putting). The plot takes several wicked twists with all kinds of roadblocks being thrown up for our Jo, the nanny. But it's the complexity and the finesse of this book that really grabs you - it's just a darn good tale. Jo leaves her safe village and her safe (it seems) relationship with Shaun, her friends, her family to go off the London to care for three (sometimes more) children, the offspring of Dick and "Scary Spouse" (as her eldest stepson, the Hornblower look-alike Josh, calls her.) Well, obviously no good can come of this drastic move and soon Jo's world is completely turned over - as is everyone else's in the book. All through, it's funny, sad, gentle, abrasive, silly, profound. Jo emerges a stronger and happier person at the end, as does pretty much everyone that you might care about in the book. You know that the ones you don't care about get what they deserve too - always satisfying! And best of all, although the ends aren't tightly tied up at the end, you also know it's all going to be OK for the good guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars hugely enjoyable, 17 April 2003
This review is from: The Nanny (Paperback)
If you like Jilly Cooper's pre-bonkbuster books (ie Imogen, Harriet etc), you will enjoy The Nanny. The feuding parents, children in assorted flavours, a hero to fall in love with, and comical policemen. Lots of laughs, a few tears and a satisfying ending. A Jolly Super read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A LITTLE GEM!, 20 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Nanny (Paperback)
I was captivated by this novel from start to finish. I loved all of the characters but especially the tempermental Josh & the 2 detectives. The story was very funny & even the way Melissa Nathan wrote the dialogue for the children was perfect. I read The Waitress almost 3 years ago & was very disappointed & it took me that long to read The Nanny. I am truly sorry I waited so long to do so. I have 2 other of her books at home & intend reading them very soon. I was sad to read that Melissa had passed away as I think there would've been room for a sequel to this little gem. The Nanny would make a terrific film, so if there are any producers out there looking for their next project..!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Read, 31 Mar. 2003
J. A. Barton "mad4plaid" (Minneapolis, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Nanny (Hardcover)
I have now read enough Chick Lit books that they all start running together, but Melissa Nathan's books still continue to remain distict, separate stories.
I especially enjoyed the character of Jo, as she tried to unravel her own wants and desires -- and opinions! Josh was so very well written that I know at least six men exactly like him -- and it does seem to be rare that we see well rounded and thoroughly created male characters in books these days.
The Nanny did a great job of occupying a sleating spring day, and has now begun its journey through my friends! Keep up the wonderful writing Ms. Nathan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and funny, 9 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Nanny (Paperback)
`The Nanny' is the second Nathan book I've read (the other being `the waitress'). I'm not usually a fan of chick lit finding it a bit predictable and annoying and although `the nanny' had its points (I could see many of the revelations from a mile away) I actually really enjoyed it! Even to the point of staying up until 2am to finish it!

A story of a nanny, Jo, would moves from her small village and boyfriend of six years to London where she begins working fro the dysfunction Fitzgerald family. Just as she's finding her feet their 25 year old son, Josh moves in, and of course, complicates everything!

It's easy, sweet and charming. And also very very funny! Most of the humour comes from the various similes and analogues used which are pretty inventive and from some of the children's cute comments.

On a down side the characters seemed to be spilt into `goodies and baddies' even if it took a while for you to be able to decide which category they fitted into, which I found a little irritating at times and the plot line could be a bit predictable. However I think just how much I laughed aloud meant the book was allowed it to get away with these few faults.

Great relaxing read where you just know everything's going to be alright in the end! Lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book To Change Your Life, 9 April 2003
Mrs Helen M Brookes (Birmingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Nanny (Hardcover)
This book has everything you could possibly want. Humour, tears, relationship problems, romance, family life and some wonderful laugh-out-loud bits.
It might sound an exaggeration, but it actually made me re - evaluate the priorities in my life and about how I view it!
I was able to identify with the character of Jo, and her hopes and aspirations. Her safe relationship with Shaun, her claustrophobic family, and the frightening realisation that not every body lives their lives as her family does.
You experience the gradual freedom she feels as she meets Pippa, and of course the relationship with Josh, as their friendship develops. The writing of Vanessa and Dick's conversations is wonderful, and also the childrens characters are beautifully created.
This book had me laughing and crying. A book you will not want to put down, and one that will make you want to go out and take life by the scruff of the neck!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nanny, 18 May 2003
This review is from: The Nanny (Paperback)
The Nanny was a brilliant read! I couldn't put it down. The book is hilarious, moving and exciting. Having been a nanny myself, i could relate completely with Jo's hectic life. The story has many different characters in it and allows you to see things through their eyes as well as the main character's, which makes the read more enjoyable and less biased. i would recommend this book to anyone with sense of humour and a weekend free! I can't wait for the next book by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book!, 17 July 2003
This review is from: The Nanny (Paperback)
This book is very good! One of my favorites. Its funny and Melissa makes the characters features so real you can see them. There is more than 1 story line in the book, but this does not make it confusing. Venessa is the typical working mother and Dick makes you laugh with his comments! The children are by far the best characters in the book. Read it its very good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly enjoyable, 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Nanny (Paperback)
This isn’t my style of book, but I read it after reading an excellent review. The style is informal, and the language rather too strong for my liking in places. Nevertheless I kept reading and finished it in a couple of days, despite over 500 pages.

23-year-old Jo goes to work in London as nanny for three children. She suffers some culture shock, and also starts to query her own mind, her friendships, and her love-life. Characterisation is excellent, at least for the most important characters, and while some of the conversation was a bit trite, it was never enough to make me cringe.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

The Nanny
The Nanny by Melissa Nathan (Paperback - 3 April 2003)