5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the best book ever written :-)
I first read Illusions 28 years ago, and it blew me away to find this guy saying so simply and so engagingly all the things that I'd struggled so hard to find out for myself .. all the things that really matter in life, but written like a fairy story, or an hour round the fire with a good friend, or ... well, you get the idea, I'm sure.

I kept having to put the...
Published on 1 Oct. 2007 by ImReallyAnElf

2.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: The picture is NOT correct
Don't get me wrong, I really like this story. If you approach it with the right attitude it can be a very helpful message. The problem is that the picture shows the old original version of this book. The actual product I received was a different edition with wide blank margins and a font that is so small that it is not comfortable to read. It also makes note taking in...
Published on 25 Oct. 2011 by A. Popa

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Original Epic- Needs a movie on it, 21 July 2008
This review is from: Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (Paperback)
I can some up the book in my own conclusion on our now living reality -
Theres two Religions-
1) Religion of Rules & Formulas (limited logic, left brain)
2) Religion of FREEDOM (boundless wisdom, Right brain)

We question again & again - If Messiah's lived 100's of year ago (WITH WIZARD LIKE POWERS OVER ANYTHING THEY WISH) then why haven't we seen any NOW?
Because We don't want to! We don't want some know it all to shatter our illusions! As you fnd out in this Rear book, & in the demise of Christ in the bible.
Any one into anything (LIFE) WILL LOVE THIS MASTER PIECE

5.0 out of 5 stars The only "bible" you need, 25 Dec. 2009
The only "bible" you need. If you take your time to read it slowly, all the wisdom you need is in there - if you are open-minded and is prepared to believe that everything you just read might not be true ...

Old beliefs from the bible are questioned, like the Golden Rule. Everybody might not like to be treated as you would like to be treated. Everybody has different preferences. A masochist for example ...

In a very simple, but profound way, the author makes you think thanks to the several quotes that line the text and are illustrated by action. Even if the book is short it gives you enough food for thoughts to keep you awake ...

I found this book better than Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, because it deals with more topics than just freedom and going your own way. Anything is possible! It's up to you to believe it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational approach to Life, 25 April 2001
By A Customer
I was recommended this book back in 1978, since when it has been my constant companion. As a psychotherapist, I find it says more, in an entertaining way, about the mystery of why we are here, than I could get across in half a dozen sessions with clients. So I recommend them to read it for themselves.
The underlying concept that we are free to do whatever we like in this life, is one of the simplest, and most effective 'guilt- busting' tenets available. It does however need to be tempered by the proviso - 'as long as we are prepared to accept the consequences of our actions.' But then, as Bach says, "Everything in this book may be wrong."
If you are not in the habit of buying books, this is definitely one you should beg, borrow or steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, 1 Feb. 2010
Mr. S. Peters "Stu Peters" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
This is probably the sixth copy of 'Illusions' I've bought since first being introduced to the book in the mid-1980's by a friend. I just love the elegant simplicity of it, the outrageous concepts and the gentle 'aw shucks' way that Richard Bach conveys huge possibilities in a comfortable down-home style.

Trouble is, I lend the book to friends and never get it back - so ought to put in a regular order...this copy has gone to my girlfriend and she's not returned it! In fact, I'll take a look in the Handbook (which I just bought and KEPT) for the answer!

As with 'Jonathan' Richard Bach proves that you don't need to write a complex story over a thousand pages - as with any great artist, just a couple of brush strokes is enough to change the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful learning, 7 Nov. 2002
Mr. R. N. Lock "Ricky Lock" (bexley, kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Illusions is a wonderful experience. You are taken on a spiritual journey that will be insightful, enjoyable and engaging. I loved this book and learnt a lot about myself and where I am on my journey at this present time. Richard Bach has a brilliant way of making difficult concepts easy to understand. This book will be one you never forget and one you will pass on to your friends, so they can have this wonderful experience as well. my last words on Illusions : read it and learn more about yourself and our physical reality. brilliant !

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 9 July 2001
I was suggested this book by a close friend and was very sceptical at first. I decided to take a quick peek at the book when I got home. Two hours later I had nearly finished it. The story is captavating and its little "pearls of wisdom" (taken from his "Messiahs Handbook"!) placed throughout the book are beutifully phrased and very insightful. Every time he made another insightful comment it brought a smile to my face because of their simple, yet deep and inherent truth. This book is a absolute must.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book to read is this one, 7 May 2000
By A Customer
This is the book which changed my life in so many ways, and all of them good. I always end up giving away my current copy of this book as it contains a message that I want everyone to hear. It is simple. If you pass this one by you are missing a GREAT opportunity to learn new ways of looking at things, especially yourself. Take my word for it: You will never regret buying this book. If you do, send me an e-mail and I might even consider refunding your money myself and you can still keep the book. Proof of purchase may be required ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Key Book for life -skills, 2 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
Few authors have written so metaphorically and effectively about personal responsibility.
This an accessible yet philosophical book which will form a good basis for any teenager struggling with the issues of simple day to day decision-making about interpersonal issues: exactly what am I responsible for and to whom?
There is a subtle Taoist background to the writing and the italicised 'quotes' from the mystical book have a Zen-like quality yet couched in phraseology accessible to the occidental mind.
This can be read as a simple fairy story or as a source of self-analysis and understanding.
Highly recommended to all autonomously-minded readers and a very close second to Erich Fromm in an humane approach to living.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!, 11 Feb. 2002
Jensine (Essex, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I first read this book about 4 years or so ago, and I loved it then. In between now and then I've read loads of books, Seth, Conversations With God books, other Richard Bach Books....all great!!!
But when I read it again a few weeks ago, I found I saw it in a totally new light. It was incredible the way I see it now, to back then. Its so full of wisdom, humour and at the end I looked up from the book and saw the world with fresh renewed energy about life.
I've never come across anyone who didn't love this book!!! The best Richard Bach one by far in my opinion!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The seventh copy I have bought, 19 April 2011
C. Milnes - See all my reviews
Brilliant book - this is the 7th I have bought in my life, and given away to various poeple. It tells of a man who meets the messiah in a modern setting. It is NOT religious in any way (you probably have to read it to understand that sentence), and is deeply thought provoking for our own lives. It is quite a short book, so if you get bored by massive tomes, this is a nice bite-sized evening of reading.
A delight, and I cant reccommend it enough

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (Paperback - 1998)