5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the best book ever written :-)
I first read Illusions 28 years ago, and it blew me away to find this guy saying so simply and so engagingly all the things that I'd struggled so hard to find out for myself .. all the things that really matter in life, but written like a fairy story, or an hour round the fire with a good friend, or ... well, you get the idea, I'm sure.

I kept having to put the...
Published on 1 Oct 2007 by ImReallyAnElf

3.0 out of 5 stars Story
Quite a nice story with some interesting little maxims hidden in it, i would recommend it for a holiday read or a toilet book
Published 2 months ago by Tao

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational approach to Life, 25 April 2001
By A Customer
I was recommended this book back in 1978, since when it has been my constant companion. As a psychotherapist, I find it says more, in an entertaining way, about the mystery of why we are here, than I could get across in half a dozen sessions with clients. So I recommend them to read it for themselves.
The underlying concept that we are free to do whatever we like in this life, is one of the simplest, and most effective 'guilt- busting' tenets available. It does however need to be tempered by the proviso - 'as long as we are prepared to accept the consequences of our actions.' But then, as Bach says, "Everything in this book may be wrong."
If you are not in the habit of buying books, this is definitely one you should beg, borrow or steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original Epic- Needs a movie on it, 21 July 2008
This review is from: Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (Paperback)
I can some up the book in my own conclusion on our now living reality -
Theres two Religions-
1) Religion of Rules & Formulas (limited logic, left brain)
2) Religion of FREEDOM (boundless wisdom, Right brain)

We question again & again - If Messiah's lived 100's of year ago (WITH WIZARD LIKE POWERS OVER ANYTHING THEY WISH) then why haven't we seen any NOW?
Because We don't want to! We don't want some know it all to shatter our illusions! As you fnd out in this Rear book, & in the demise of Christ in the bible.
Any one into anything (LIFE) WILL LOVE THIS MASTER PIECE

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you will ever need to read, 6 May 2008
I remember a friend gave this book to me and when i read it I felt life made a little more sense. It is amazing to think we think we have free will and we can change things, but we choose not to. I have read this book maybe a hundred times and it seems always fresh everytime.The book is probulay one of the 20th century classics. I have bought it for a few friends over there years and they have passed the message on "life is an illusion".
The main plot is about a byplane pilot that befriends a messiah that walked out on the job and decided to give rides for dollars in his byplane around the midwest of america. Thoughout the journey the author discovers the true meaning of the universe and you are swept away by the lessons that you learn along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 9 July 2001
I was suggested this book by a close friend and was very sceptical at first. I decided to take a quick peek at the book when I got home. Two hours later I had nearly finished it. The story is captavating and its little "pearls of wisdom" (taken from his "Messiahs Handbook"!) placed throughout the book are beutifully phrased and very insightful. Every time he made another insightful comment it brought a smile to my face because of their simple, yet deep and inherent truth. This book is a absolute must.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book to read is this one, 7 May 2000
By A Customer
This is the book which changed my life in so many ways, and all of them good. I always end up giving away my current copy of this book as it contains a message that I want everyone to hear. It is simple. If you pass this one by you are missing a GREAT opportunity to learn new ways of looking at things, especially yourself. Take my word for it: You will never regret buying this book. If you do, send me an e-mail and I might even consider refunding your money myself and you can still keep the book. Proof of purchase may be required ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Key Book for life -skills, 2 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Few authors have written so metaphorically and effectively about personal responsibility.
This an accessible yet philosophical book which will form a good basis for any teenager struggling with the issues of simple day to day decision-making about interpersonal issues: exactly what am I responsible for and to whom?
There is a subtle Taoist background to the writing and the italicised 'quotes' from the mystical book have a Zen-like quality yet couched in phraseology accessible to the occidental mind.
This can be read as a simple fairy story or as a source of self-analysis and understanding.
Highly recommended to all autonomously-minded readers and a very close second to Erich Fromm in an humane approach to living.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!, 11 Feb 2002
Jensine (Essex, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I first read this book about 4 years or so ago, and I loved it then. In between now and then I've read loads of books, Seth, Conversations With God books, other Richard Bach Books....all great!!!
But when I read it again a few weeks ago, I found I saw it in a totally new light. It was incredible the way I see it now, to back then. Its so full of wisdom, humour and at the end I looked up from the book and saw the world with fresh renewed energy about life.
I've never come across anyone who didn't love this book!!! The best Richard Bach one by far in my opinion!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 23 Mar 2001
I remember sitting on the tube, reading illusions back in November 1998. I'd been worrying obsessively for a long time, most of my life if truth be told. Worrying about work, about my relationships, things I'd done in the past, things that hadn't happened yet in the future. And then I began to read illusions. The words contained in the first 10 pages changed my life forever

4.0 out of 5 stars All just illusion, 14 Oct 2011
I love the witty humour with which this book is written. It is so clear and obvious that life is just an illusion. Reading this book made me look at the world differently. I was however bitterly disappointed by the end :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Illusions, 10 July 2011
This is a fabulous little book,everyone should have a copy. I was fortunate to discover this early on in my life and have bought countless copies, as gifts, over the years.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (Paperback - 12 Mar 2001)
5.59