Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 November 2015
The early chapters of the book make for compelling reading, full of interest and detail. There does come a point when one wonders how much one really wants to know about Venice, and one imagines Ackroyd felt the same because the style deteriorates to becoming list-like as the feature of Venice (e.g. churches) is exhaustively documented. It does pick up again for the last chapter and provides a really insightful look at Venice and its history, a city we all think we know of but in fact readers will find they don't know it well. Readers of Donna Leone will find it interesting!
on 7 August 2011
What a pity Peter Ackroyd doesn't have anything interesting or original to say about Venice. This book comprises a series of seemingly unrelated and unsubstantiated assertions, without the benefit of any argument or evidence. I, too, could make a lot of sweeping generalisations about Venice, but why would I? And who would believe me? I don't believe Peter Ackroyd and I don't know why any publisher felt that there was a need for this book.
on 13 April 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read it just before taking an art history course on Venetian art and subsequently a trip to Venice. It therefore gave me a good understanding of Venice's history and its people prior to embarking on both. Peter Ackroyd's books are so informative and this didn't disappoint.
on 2 April 2015
It is a sort of history of Venice, It has only just arrived, so I can only describe it as an interesting book with some very nice pictures, a lot are old black and white with lots of details, plus some coloured ones. The Author is a good writer so I am looking forward to reading it.
on 15 January 2016
An easy synopsis of Venician history for beginners on the trade and quirks of ritual in venice, however I did find one chapter quite hard to follow in regards to the Venician army but despite of that one of the best historical cultural quick reads I've liked reading in a long time
on 28 October 2013
This is a history and analysis of the rise of Venice written with a novelist's eye. Ackroyd's ability to conjure a sense of place is overwhelming and turns history into a vibrant, sensual journey, rather than the standard dry rendering facts and supposition.
on 11 June 2014
I am a big fan of Peter Ackroyd. I started with his History of Britain books and decided to buy Venice as a result. It does not disappoint in any way.
on 13 April 2016
Great book - if you are visiting Venice this adds so much to your understanding of the City if that makes a difference to your enjoyment of your visit.
on 25 February 2011
I was really keen to read a popular account of the history of Venice, but this one, I'm afraid, doesn't work for me. On page 30 (that's as far as I got after five or six attempts to get into it), the author says "The city was built in brick but disguised by marble" - I think this could serve as a valid metaphor for the author's attempts at linguistic and philosophical embellishment of his own edifice.
on 7 December 2015
Purchased as gift for a very frequent visitor to Venice. I am sure it will be well received and is excellent value.