5.0 out of 5 stars A House in Corfu

Published on 8 Jan. 2011 by Issy

5.0 out of 5 stars A House in Corfu, 16 July 2002
Michaela Jordain (Cheltenham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A House In Corfu (Paperback)
I loved this book. Not only is it well written - I was living in a timeless world amongst the olive groves, as of page one - it also answered an important question for me: Most of us probably dream of finding a wonderful, magical place, of being able to do up a crumbling Tuscan farm house or Venetian villa,or of building a dream home on the sea, as Emma Tennant's family did in the 1960's. But, practicalities aside, would we be happy in a foreign land? Would our friends and families come to see us? Would it really work? The answer is a resounding 'yes', if 'A House in Corfu' is anything to go by. I may not manage it myself, but this book made me feel that it is a dream worth dreaming. It also made me happy. Read it. Michaela Jordain

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly written and just plain boring, 8 Jan. 2011
Issy "Issy" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A House In Corfu (Paperback)
I love Corfu. Not the Kavos's and Sidari's which are thankfully far and few between but the hidden coves and mountain villages, so I thought this book would be an interesting read but it is painfully bad. The writing is drawn out and tiresome with very little to say. It could just about have been a good magazine artical if edited but as a book it is hard work and just does not draw you in or make you relate in anyway to the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars very evocative, 23 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A House In Corfu (Paperback)
A gently drifting narrative, very enjoyable for anyone who loves Greece. There is not a lot of structure to the book; it reads like diary entries over years, ending at some arbitrary point. But there are lovely descriptions of landscape and people, with often telling details. The style irritated me a little, as the author has a tendency to insert long asides and comments within already long sentences, overusing dashes and parentheses. But I got used to that and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: A House In Corfu (Paperback)
I have read this book before but lost it. Saving this one for the summer! It is a fantastic book and prefectly described!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointing, 26 Oct. 2008
This review is from: A House In Corfu (Paperback)
Although I did enjoy the book, I did get a little annoyed when she complained about visitors searching out the house. Easy solution - don't advertise the house and the location by writing a (presumably profit-making) book about it!

Readable, but not in the same league as the beautifully written My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: A House in Corfu (Hardcover)
Enjoying this book very much a must read for anyone thinking of living abroad !!

1.0 out of 5 stars A House In Corfu, 8 May 2009
This review is from: A House In Corfu (Paperback)
I was disappointed with this read. I am a huge fan of Greece and travel there at least twice a year so I thought I would love this book. However, it did not live up to expectation.

2.0 out of 5 stars A House in Coru, 7 Jun. 2009
This review is from: A House In Corfu (Paperback)
I liked this book because it was set in Corfu, but it is not as interesting as Chasing Dreams in Lefkas... That had so much more to it as well as being a 'happy read'! Lefkas is a lesser known island which makes fascinating reading! I don't know why this book is not amongst the books about, or set on greeek islands! - IT SHOULD BE!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a bore, 5 Dec. 2008
This review is from: A House In Corfu (Paperback)
The sentence composition is tortuous and difficult to follow, and the narrative is sadly lacking in any depth. The author's parents built a house in Corfu. Yeah, so?

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 29 Jan. 2009
Scott Leslie (Newcastle-upon-Tyne,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A House In Corfu (Paperback)
Loved this book did not want to put it down love reading anything about Greece highly recommened it

A House In Corfu
A House In Corfu by Emma Tennant (Paperback - 6 Jun. 2002)