4.0 out of 5 stars A terrific read, more subtle than it might initially appear
Published on 8 May 2002 by A. Craig

3.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent study of the consequences of actions
Easy - but intelligent - reading, will try other novels by this writer. Not a cliched crime novel, not actually a 'crime novel' at all, more of a psychological study/study of the consequences of seemingly random actions.

Published on 22 April 2008 by Sarah W

4.0 out of 5 stars A terrific read, more subtle than it might initially appear, 8 May 2002
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Final Demand (Paperback)
Moggach's theme here, as in the superb Tulip Fever, is the conflict between greed and love. Natalie is a pretty, ambitious girl working for Nu-Line telecommunications and fed up with her grotty life and dull boyfriend. She yearns for money, and one day gets the idea for a very simple fraud: all she has to do is find a husband with the right initials, and she can cash the cheques mistakenly made out in payment to the company to her own name. The consequences of her fraud ripple out, disastrously.
Less richly satisfying than Tulip Fever, this may disappoint those who wanted another historical novel. Moggach is much better at depicting artists and lovers than she is at making very ordinary, slightly squalid people interesting, but carries your interest by the quality of her style and plotting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent study of the consequences of actions, 22 April 2008
Sarah W (North West London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Final Demand (Paperback)

It clearly illustrates the reality that one person's acts of of petty selfishness or greed can have a huge impact on other people. I disagree with the view that it is 'preachy' but, if it is, perhaps people should listen to its sermon.

I'm not sure this is a hugely memorable book, but it was certainly stimulating and enjoyable at the time, which is a great deal more than can be said for this year's Booker prize winner (in my humble opinion)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Natalie and the Chaos Theory, 3 April 2013
Susie B - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Final Demand (Paperback)
Natalie is a bright, beautiful, thirty-two-year-old who wants more from life; her parents have more-or-less abandoned her; her boyfriend of three years has found someone else; her car has been broken into; the bills are piling up and she is stuck in a boring, dead-end job in the accounts department of Nu-Line Telecommunications. Seriously fed-up, extremely broke and longing for some excitement in her life, Natalie sees a chance to make some money for herself when she notices that a large number of customers pay with cheques incorrectly made out to N.T instead of the company's full name. If only her surname began with the letter T, Natalie thinks, she could bank the cheques in her account and, if she's careful, no one need be any the wiser. She just needs to find someone with the right surname. After several problematic (and somewhat amusing) false starts, Natalie meets Colin Taylor, a kind, naive gas board employee, who comes to Natalie's flat to disconnect her after the non-payment of a final demand. And so starts Natalie's deception; she will fool Colin into marrying her, and once she is Natalie Taylor, her plan can be set in motion. After all, she tells herself, the company can afford the loss and no one will get hurt - but Natalie is wrong; people do get hurt and, due to Natalie's deception, more than one person loses a whole lot more than just their money. (No spoilers - we learn most of this early on in the novel).

Fast-paced, blackly comic in some places and tragically sad in others, this novel, which uses the chaos theory to good effect, makes for engrossing and entertaining reading. You will, however, need to suspend your disbelief at times - for instance, would it not have been easier for Natalie to have changed her surname by deed poll than to fool some poor, unsuspecting man into marriage? Would enough people (even ten years ago when this book was first published) have paid their bills by incorrectly completed cheques, to have made the risk worthwhile? How many very large companies have accounts departments where letters are opened and processed manually and by one person? However, if you put those questions to one side, you may find yourself turning the pages rather quickly as you become caught up in Natalie's unusual and unsettling story, keen to discover how far she is prepared to go in her deception and how long it will be before her crime is discovered - and what about poor old Colin?

4 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've read this book about 5 times!, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Final Demand (Kindle Edition)
....so I thought I'd review it, as I'm always recommending it to people!

The plot is excellent and unusual - I won't start explaining it because you can read it in the blurb. I loved the way that Ms Moggach wound two stories together so cleverly, making the reader really care about the family to whom the disaster happens, before the reason is revealed. I love stories that jump from one plot thread to another, and this does it smoothly and so well.

Natalie Taylor is an unusual heroine, too; she's not terribly likeable on paper, but I found myself liking her all the same. I wanted to weep for poor Colin. The book is very 'current' - I know it was written over ten years ago, now, but it still has that feel to it.

One thing I LOVED about it is the way in which, near the beginning, there are a few little passages showing how Natalie's fradulent actions affected other people's lives, people she would never know about. It really made me think about how the things we do have such an effect on the world as a whole, not just our own lives, even if we don't realise it at the time.

A terrific book, an 'easy read' but also very clever. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars petty crime - major, far reaching consequences, 4 Aug 2008
UK reader (Nr Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Demand (Paperback)
Reading the first sentence I wasn't sure I was going to like this, but it turned out to be a real page turner and a thriller.

Set in Leeds and the north-west, Natalie, working in accounts has a plan to extend her income. It involves marriage to a man with a surname beginning with T. That's the start of the plan. Little does she know the consquences and the effect on people's lives, particularly Chloe and her family.

I was quickly hooked and to be honest thought it very believable and utterly logical (except toward the end when I thought it went slightly in the direction of implausability). Natalie managed to hoodwink many and gained.

I thought this was an interesting psychological study as well - how people who appear strong are actually vulnerable, and how the past affects actions in the future. I think Natalie was a confused and needy individual, and didn't really consider what she was doing.

I have bought another book by Moggach on the back of reading this. I didn't buy Tulip Fever (not a huge fan of historical dramas) but instead chose something less well known. Would definitely recommend Final Demand - good holiday or commute read or indeed a good weekend read (which is how quickly I read it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read - and so say all of us!!, 20 Feb 2008
This review is from: Final Demand (Paperback)
I found this book in a secondhand book shop and took it on holiday - I simply could not put it down until I had finished it! The main character of the novel, Natalie, starts to 'scam' money out of her employers with little thought for the 'ripples' her actions cause to the unwitting 'victims' of her scam, including her husband who she only marries to get a name - this book explores these repercussions superbly. I then passed the book on to several members of my reading group, all of whom sang its praises as well. We all feel sure that it would make an excellent TV mini-series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 5 Aug 2006
vivsy (rural hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Demand (Paperback)
I sat down one Saturday monring and read Final Demand cover to cover in one sitting, pausing only to make a cup of tea. I found it completely gripping.

Natalie is an accounts clerk who wants to escape from her dull life. Having her car stereo stolen one night sparks off a chain of events that she hopes will lead to a brighter, more exciting future. A money-making scam is launched and the story really gathers pace as she plunges headlong into a web of lies and deceit to achieve her goal. The plot in engrossing and I felt like shouting at Natalie to stop.

In the end, she goes too far with tragic consequences far more wide reaching than she could have possibly imagined. This is a rollercoaster of a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINAL DEMAND - A REALLY GOOD READ, EXCELLENT STORY, 9 Jun 2014
J. E. Yull - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Demand (Paperback)
I ENJOYED THE BOOK VERY MUCH, BUT I WONDER IF ANYONE HAS A COPY ON DVD OR VIDEO OF THE BBC
DRAMA OF "FINAL DEMAND".

I MISSED IT AT THE TIME, AND WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO SEE IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quick read, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Final Demand (Paperback)
This is the first novel I have read by Deborah Moggach and I quickly became absorbed and engrossed in it, reading it in a day. It is the story of Natalie, an unfulfilled girl with a tattered past who tumbles upon an opportunity to commit a clever fraud and get away with it. But the consequences of her fraud are far reaching. Based on the novel, I would definitely read more by this author and would heartily recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good plot, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Final Demand (Hardcover)
A good holiday read, engaging whilst not demanding on the little grey cells. A thoughtful look at the results of unintended consequences.

Final Demand
Final Demand by Deborah Moggach (Paperback - 2 May 2002)
8.99