4.0 out of 5 stars Odd
Husband and I don't get this book, we both feel we're missing something. Clearly we're wrong though, 7 year old and 2 year old are either reading it themselves or asking for it several times every day!
Published on 3 April 2011 by Duechristmas

2.0 out of 5 stars hmmmm
bought this for a friend's 2-year old but now i have it i doubt i shall give it to him. not suitable for young readers both in content and pictures.
Published 13 months ago by helen ford

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd, 3 April 2011
Duechristmas (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all children, a night time journey to fun, 22 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: In the Night Kitchen (Hardcover)
I first read this book, over 25 years ago, and it had me thrilled then and it still does. Sendak has a way of bringing out your night time journeys under the duvet with that torch and your midnight snack, and he knows what you want. The colourful pictures bring out the imagination to its full vivid glory. There is a Max in all of us. Thank you Maurice for giving company to a child and thank you for keeping that child always there. It's a must for all children of all ages, you too granma :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Every child needs this book, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
This book has been around since my childhood. It is timeless - weird and beautiful and whimsical and adventurous. I love the cityscape imagery as well as the blur between Mickey's dream and reality. A great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 19 Nov 2011
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
Our 3-year-old loves it, and knows it so well she can say most of the words. Also makes a great birthday present for friend's children.

5.0 out of 5 stars much giggling!, 26 July 2011
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
I remember this from when I was a little girl in the early 70s.... but only after seing it here did I recall its title and author! I now have a copy for my little girl. We giggled as youngsters at the naked little boy in the story (always a source of much hilarity for kiddies!) so I can't wait for my little one to read it herself. The story is so bizarre and imaginative, it must have come from a dream! Absolutely wonderful. Pity it's not a board book, though, as my toddler would probably want to eat it...

5.0 out of 5 stars A FAVORITE OF MY GRANDCHILDREN AND GREAT-GRANDCHILDREN! AWESOME AUTHOR/ILLUSTRATOR!, 17 April 2006
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
This book has survived the test of time and is one of the favorites of my grandchildren and great grandchildren.

A highly unique concept of a boy who has a 'dream' experience in the night kitchen of a baker! Yummy dessert delights as well as a feast for the eyes ... the illustrations are out of this world ... and a feast for the ears ... the chantable text is delightful! Highly recommended for kids of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic!, 9 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
When I was little this book was called "Mickey in the Night Kitchen". The name has changed but the book is still magic. Charming and cheaky. Micky jumps out of bed and into the Night Kitchen where he flys a dough plane, gets chased by three bakers who look suspiciously like Oliver Hardy and dives naked into a bottle of milk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning picture book, 2 Mar 2007
young man (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: In the Night Kitchen (Hardcover)
This book is the second in the "loose trilogy" which follows on from where the wild things are, it is a VERY loose connection and definitely not the wild things mark 2.

Every child I have read this to has been totally engaged by it, there are no monster pictures (like where the wild things are and Outside over there) to scare a young child and so is lovely to read before bed. I would particularly recommend it to a young child as they will loose themselves in the pictures and love the flow of the text and won't care that it doesn't make all that much sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great work, 21 Mar 2007
This review is from: In the Night Kitchen (Hardcover)
Fantastic art work, you would expect this from Sendak, a dreamy story which is easy for the young child to learn by heart and lots of repetition and small phonetic words to help with learning to read.

A masterpiece, deserves to be up there with "where the wild things are".

5.0 out of 5 stars brought for my daughter, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
Not as well known as Where the Wild Things Are but every bit as wonderful and magical with utterly beautiful illustrations. I remember being read this book as a child by my dad so I brought if for my daughter who loved it every bit as much as I do. So nice to read childrens books where the illustrations are like wonderful works of art.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

In The Night Kitchen
In The Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak (Paperback - 5 July 2001)
5.24