4.0 out of 5 stars vast improvement

3.0 out of 5 stars So Far, Quite Good
Published on 30 Mar 2009 by Good Book Fan

4.0 out of 5 stars vast improvement, 10 April 2010
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Dance to the Music of Time: vol.2: Summer: Summer Vol 2 (Paperback)
I am slowly working my way through the entire sequence of twelve novels which make up A Dance To The Music of Time. They comprise an epic project in which Powell looks at upper class British society in the first half of the Twentieth Century from the point of view of his main character, Nicholas Jenkins. The first three books, which make up the Spring trilogy I found fairly hard work. There were lots of characters to get to grips with and orienting myself in the complex social rituals that make up the world Powell depicts was hard. In this second volume things are much easier. The writing picks up, the characters become more interesting and the story fairly zips along. The novels are in a kind of rough chronological sequence overall but Powell uses Jenkins' memoirs to zip backwards and forwards in time, so we move from Jenkins' childhood pre WWI and his impressions of the impact of that war, to the dawn of WWII, ending just as Jenkins is attempting to get called up. Engaging, wittily written and absorbing. I am looking forward to reading the Autumn years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning crystalline prose, 19 Jan 2009
I agree with the above - how anyone could read this and be left with the impression that the characters are cardboard cutouts is beyond me - the sequence is one protracted and complex procession of deft characterisation! I picked up these for one holiday and was mesmerised. Powell's writing is of a quite extraordinary standard - his evocation of people in time is quite astonishing. I too feel that I'm a better doctor for having read these novels. Anyone who is interested in people, thought and exquisite language will relish these.
I particularly loved his reconstruction of Aleister Crowley - I think he did too, so much so he reincarnated him in the last book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthony Powell, 31 May 2013
Duncan Bush - See all my reviews
Powell was a slowly-acquired taste for me – the current seems slow-moving at the beginning (i.e vol 1 of the 12) of this most riverine of romans fleuves. But patience is rewarded as the pace picks up – or one's own enjoyment of Powell's uniquely waspish asperities and humour. This volume leads up to the outbreak of war in 1939, and to Volume 3 in this omnibus edition – London during the Blitz – which is one of the finest pieces of sustained writing on the war I've read (superior even to Waugh's Sword of Honour trilogy - and funnier).

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 6 Mar 2008
Dr. Peter G. Upton (Woolston, Southampton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Anthony Powell's reputation has suffered as his snobbery and elitism emerged from his memoirs; his work stands up to Evely Waugh's (another author who was not a nice person) and the Roman a clef element is still fascinating- the Moreland/ Constant Lambert character is wonderfully drawn. I devoured the series while revising for finals in the 1970's and I think the books made me a beter doctor than my reading of Gray's anatomy (the anatomy textbook, not the TV series). As many of the characters are versions of real people I am amazed that one reviewer found them cardboard!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars So Far, Quite Good, 30 Mar 2009
Opinion seems divided on Anthony Powell's work, with two extremes of rapt praise and utter indifference. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Powell was undoubtedly an utter snob, whose work is a tribute to a small section of the higher reaches of society. However, he always writes beautifully, subtly and with growing confidence about his subject. I read the first three books and thought they were nothing special, but volumes four to six are where things start to get interesting. I found myself starting to care about the characters, in particular the drunken Stringham. If the next three books are as good as they promise to be I might even join the rapt praisers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hyped, 14 July 2004
Mr. D. C. Sexton "Devourer" (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
A very poor book. The author has gone for width at the expense of depth. The characters are poorly drawn, just a lot of different names stuck on to cardboard cut outs.

A Dance to the Music of Time: vol.2: Summer: Summer Vol 2
A Dance to the Music of Time: vol.2: Summer: Summer Vol 2 by Anthony Powell (Paperback - 2 Oct 1997)