4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly entertaining read
Published on 25 July 2003 by Darren Simons

3.0 out of 5 stars Original idea and very funny.
Published on 11 Sep 2001 by v.lowe@talk21.com

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly entertaining read, 25 July 2003
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Paperback)
The story here is your run of the mill problem... whilst in a drunken state, a soon-to-be-married guy (Andy) bets he can visit every underground station within a day. Sure enough, his "mate" takes him up on his offer and Andy starts the day without honeymoon tickets, passport, credit cards and lots of other useful things, only able to retrieve them should he win the best - oh yeah, and for winning the bet he can also get some collectable train tickets.
Needless to say his wife-to-be (Rachel) is thoroughly unimpressed, unable to fathom why the guy she believes she wants to spend the rest of her life with, is in fact... a TRAIN SPOTTER, is proud of it, and is willing to jeopardise everything over a stupid bet.
The story takes you through the day in question, with extra little challenges along the way, a tramp for Andy's company for most the journey, derailed trains, a gentle jog around North-west London, and a train timetable which isn't running quite to schedule.
The book seems to be remarkably well researched, and although there is another thread to the story about why Andy's mate wants Andy's marriage to end in failure, it's fairly weak and doesn't add much to the story. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which I didn't really expect to be as good as it was.
Will he make it or will he fail? Well, there's only one way to find out - read the book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable (but unsophisticated) reading, 4 Nov 2002
Mr. T. H. E. WHITE (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Paperback)
This is a very enjoyable novel about a young tube-enthusiast on the eve of his wedding. He has had a bet with his "friend" that he can visit every single tube station on a single day and still make his 1 a.m. appointment at Waterloo Station where he is to take his Eurostar train with his fiancée to Paris, where they are to get married.
The problem is, his "friend" has forfeited the hero's passport, Eurostar tickets, honeymoon tickets and other things, and has placed them strategically around the London Underground, leaving clues at each place with the location of the next items, thereby making it much harder for our hero to follow a working route.
Accompanied by a tramp who has nothing better to do, our hero sets off from Morden station early in the morning, and begins to panic almost immediately.
This novel will appeal to everyone who travels frequently on the London Underground, and has been subjected to the various delays. It will be particularly appealing to tube-enthusiasts who will surely wonder whether they too would have taken the same route, given the obstacles. But don't let that put you off reading the book. It has just the right balance of humour and trainspottery to keep every Londoner amused.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and strange, 30 July 2006
R. D. Eager "rde42" (Herne Bay, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Paperback)
This novel was much darker than I expected; not the usual 'treasure hunt' type of thing. The plot has been explained elsewhere, so I won't repeat it.

I quite enjoyed it, but I did find it vaguely depressing at times! It was interesting; it's useful to have the 'Way Out Tube Map' beside you to appreciate what the main protagonist and his companion are going through.

What did irritate me was that it wasn't written in English, but in American. This edition was printed in the USA, so perhaps it was a translation, although I doubt it. It's the one with white spots on the cover, if that helps; softcover. Lots of American spellings and word usage; this for a book written in the 'first person' where the narrator is English.

Slightly imperfectly researched; I'm not a Tube geek but I noticed a couple of things. You don't generally go up to the main line station when changing from the Victoria line to the Circle Line at Victoria; this is a minor point but as it happens it's the station I know best. And when you arrive at Fenchurch Street on the overground, you don't usually run through City streets to get to Tower Hill tube. Never mind!

All in all, a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An intresting and completely different read., 4 Mar 2003
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book it was very different from anything else that I have read. I found the plot hilarious and couldn't wait to see how it all ended up. I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Original idea and very funny., 11 Sep 2001
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Hardcover)
For a first book this is promising. The presentation has immediate involvement with the reader. Every line needs to be read in order to follow the story which is something one cannot say about most books. The author obviously has first hand knowledge of the London underground system and must have travelled the circuit for the story to be convincing. I like Brian, the tramp, who was quite an educated man, as some tramps are and have just not fitted into modern society. I look forward to reading the author's next book, "Chocolate.com"

5.0 out of 5 stars A top read for all tube-travellers, 1 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Paperback)
This is a great read - ideal for whiling away those long hours spent on the Northern Line every day. Lowe has created a superb character in his protagonist, Andy, who is torn between a bet with his tube-spotting mate to travel round the entire London Underground in 24 hrs - and his fiancee, Rachel, who has no interest whatsoever in all things 'tubular'. The tone is immediate, it is pacy and you just want to keep reading until the end. If you are a regular tube-traveller you will appreciate the characters that Andy observes on his journey - from the lost Japanese tourist to the hordes of foreign schoolchildren. Of course I won't tell you how it ends, but it doesn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 29 Jan 2013
ShaunOK "Book Addict" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite books and I have lost count of the number of times that I've read it. The thing that made me want to read it in the first place is the fact that it's set on the London Underground. I am a self-confessed tube nerd, I love everything about it and spend most of my time on trips to London on the Underground and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Most people go to see the sights but I've seen them enough times. I just love everything about the Tube.

The storyline here involves Andy who bet his tube geek friend Rolf that he could travel the whole system (not entirely true as this book was written in 2001 and so Andy misses out a lot of the Jubilee Line and the whole of the DLR [which I love]) in 24 hours. At the end of the 24 hours he needs to meet Rachel so they can catch the Eurostar to Paris.

Unfortunately the majority of the characters bar one are pretty weak. The best character for me and the star of the book is Brian. Brian is a tramp who Andy bumps into at his first station of the day and Brian sort of latches onto him and follows (and eventually helps) him throughout the day. At first Andy thinks Brian is a plant by Rolf but eventually comes to trust him and realise that it's better to do the system with someone else than alone. And of course for the reader it is much better for Andy to have somebody with him as it would be quite boring reading about him travelling around by himself. I didn't like the character of Rachel and the character of Rolf sounding revolting. And as this is supposed to be one of my favourite books I didn't even like the main character, Andy much. However the main character for me is the tube and that is what makes me keep wanting to read this book.

Unfortunately for Andy he picked the worst day to travel the tube. He runs into the most annoying and unbelievable situations that you can't help but laugh. In all the times I have travelled the tube I haven't once had a delay, in fact a train has always arrived within seconds or minutes of me arriving at the station. Of course this would be different if I lived there and travelled every single day but for the sake of this book Andy had the absolute worst luck he could have had.

The ending of the book felt quite rushed but it was fairly satisfying. I loved the chapter with Brian at the end and I'd actually have liked an Epilogue which perhaps looked at the characters years down the line. Anyone who has been to London has seen a tramp of some sort and most people including myself pass them by without a second thought, but a lot of them are just like Brian. Normal people who have been dealt a bad hand, it is easier to end up like that than some people are aware of and reading about a tramp as nice as Brian makes you look at them twice.

Overall probably not a five star book and if you don't have even the slightest interest in the Underground then this probably isn't the book for you but I always enjoy reading it, especially before a trip to London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise Hit, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Paperback)
I was a bit dubious when I picked this up - whether a book about an underground trip could really be that interesting, but after a slightly slow start this had me gripped. The background information about the underground lines, stations etc I found more interesting than perhaps I should, and the story of how the pursuit of a bet threatens the upcoming marriage of (tube) 'train-spotter' and Rachel is brilliantly developed. A great read and I almost found myself getting an underground map to try to plot out the route to see how the journey described could be done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tunnel Vision, 28 Dec 2008
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Paperback)
One of the recommended titles of the Booktrust's Get London Reading campaign, the story is of a guy who on the eve of his wedding has a bet to travel to every station on the London Underground network. As a London resident who regularly uses the Underground service, I could relate to the sentiments and imagery. Was a little surprised at his method and found myself thinking about the logistics of such a challenge. For the central character who is such an enthusiast for all things to do with London Underground, how he manages to be engaged is a little far fetched. Overall, an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, very pacy read, 16 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Tunnel Vision (Paperback)
I am genuinely surprised by the reviewer here who didn't like Tunnel Vision. There are one or two bits where the author gets a bit too involved in tube trivia, but the main character's a trainspotter, so that fits in perfectly with his character. And if you travel on the tube every day like I do, it paints a really vivid picture of what it's like down there. But it's not only a book about the tube. This is a story about one man's journey through his obsession, while he tries to come to terms with losing his bachelorhood. Andy and Brian have thoughts and feelings we've all had at one time or another, but not necessarily put down in words. It's not James Joyce, but it's the sort of book you really can't put down. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants something fun to read, and a bit more thoughtful than your average chick-lit.

Tunnel Vision
Tunnel Vision by Keith Lowe (Paperback - 6 Sep 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01