5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a man, don't bother!
Published on 31 May 2006 by N. Higgs

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read... but not much else
I read this book on a long haul flight and it was perfect diversionary material. But not much else. While the pace is good and the story is a compelling one, the characterisation is very poor and there are significant gaps in the plot. As other reviewers have suggested, the story line is cliched and key characters (e.g Julia and Margaret) are under-developed. The main...
Published on 1 Sep 2007 by Lucy Talk

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a man, don't bother!, 31 May 2006
N. Higgs "nina's room" (kent, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
I thought this book was excellent....I stayed up till 2am to finish it (a rare thing indeed being the mother of two small early rising children.) This book IS about post natal depression, but not just that...i'ts also about relationships, the fact that Sally had given up everything to live in a foriegn country....finding a home, job, friends, all while pregnant and in a very short space of time. I won't spoil it for anyone but if you have kids, suffered PND, then read this book!! Reading a good book for me is entertaining, makes the time pass and stops me doing housework. This book is all that and more! Plus, who cares if things aren't 100% accurate? (aka the breastfeeding incident mentioned by a reviewer) great writers are just that.....making great works of fiction, not fact!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read!, 8 Sep 2003
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Hardcover)
Having read Kennedy's previous book, The Persuit of Happiness, in around 3 days I decided to give this one a go too and see if it was as good as I hoped. I was not dissapointed, although it is a little heavy going in the beginning, half way through the book there is a excellent twist and had me gripped all the way to the end. It was an excellent follow up to his previous work, I read this one in 2 days! Definitley recommend it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A special Relationship, 11 Oct 2003
mandy esseen (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Hardcover)
This is the first Douglas Kennedy book I have read - thanks to a purchasing order error, and I must say I am most grateful for it! Idly flicking through it to see what the style was like, I chanced upon the section where Sally, the bewildered Mother of a newborn son, is trying to clear her blocked milk ducts before she can breastfeed him. It was at once accurate, grimly humorous and immensely readable. I decided at once to keep it and read the whole book in the course of a Saturday (to the chagrin of my children!) The characters are psychologically rounded - especially Sally, and I am absolutely impressed that a man can represent both the frailness and strength of a woman with such integrity. Read it and see!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read, 27 May 2007
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I've read. It's gripping throughout and is really difficult to put down. You are taken on a journey through the real highs and lows of the character and feel both frustration and sympathy as her relationship with her husband goes from good to bad. I read State of the Union prior to buying this book which again is excellent. The author has an exceptional talent for writing from a woman's point of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever !, 19 May 2005
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
Wow, what a good read. Douglas Kennedy never lets his readers down. Totally addictive book, couldn't put it down. It caused me to be late for work on a few mornings! Interesting characters and so well portrayed and gripping storyline. Also read Mr Kennedy's book 'The Big Picture' - fantastic, wonderful, thrilling - it's a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Special Relationship, 24 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
I do not write reviews easily but felt compelled to comment on this book.
After reading about one-third I found the book hard to put down and on several occasions found myself smiling or near to tears on Sally's behalf (a rare occurence). The book was vastly different to what was expected and I was suprised the author was male as his insight into motherhood and the emotions attached were so real.
I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended..., 26 Jun 2004
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Hardcover)
I haven't read a more interesting book than Kennedy's "A Special Relationship". I liked the way he presented the up-and-downs of his heroine, Sally, during and after her postnatal depression and the way he switches events and conversations in a glance. The pages kept me going on and on, especially from the middle of the book onwards. The story is a reflection of love, motherhood, life (up and down), tragedy, destiny and betrayal. I would highly recommend it to everyone...

4.0 out of 5 stars Piling on the agony, 27 Mar 2006
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
Once you start reading this roller-coaster book, it's hard to put it down, the events and the agonies come so thick and fast. A certain suspension of belief is necessary as there are one or two rather too convenient occurences that help Sally out of her dilemmas. It was hard to believe that it was possible to take a child from its mother while she is in the throes of postnatal depression.
Tony is truly devious, and Sally's sister an awkward pain, but the mauling Sally received at the hands of the English legal system made a shiver run down my spine. But I was particularly taken with Nigel Clapp, her saviour.
I read the book very fast as it is such a page turner, and then enjoyed it just as much on the second breathless reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars nobody better than kennedy, 10 Oct 2004
Amazon Customer "anitamcskimming" (derby england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Hardcover)
I bought this book from amazon and it arrived just in time for me to read after my first baby was born. I didn't know at the time it was about post natal depression amongst other thingsbut it didn't spoil any enjoyment for me.
Kennedy has a knack of story telling and if you've ever read any of his others you'll know how different they all are. How on earth does a bloke know how to wirte about PND????
Hurry up with the next one Douglas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Gripping and heart wrenching..........., 8 Jun 2006
Ms Kl Pumpr "Kim" (Cadiz, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
As my title reads...........it was a fantastic first read. I couldn't put it down and read it within 2 days. This book was the first book I had read of Douglas Kennedys work and once I had finished the book knew it wasn't going to be the last. I could relate to this book and felt so much sympathy towards the main character Sally. I was amazed how well Douglas had got into the mind of a woman, it showed how sometimes men can be so selfish and neglect their wives at times when they need that extra support. When I read this title I neglected the housework and forgot to prepare the dinner..........it was so enthralling that my husband took 2nd place too !!!!!! I went out to the book store and bought another..........Pursuit To Happiness, which again was amazing. My husband is also hooked as every book I purchase written by D.Kennedy is read by him too. Now when he goes back to the UK He always looks for new masterpieces and Temptation is the only one left we haven't purchased to go on our bookshelf........Hurry up Mr.Kennedy with your latest novel and please start immediately on another.

A Special Relationship
A Special Relationship by Douglas Kennedy (Paperback - 5 Aug 2004)
5.59