5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a man, don't bother!
Published on 31 May 2006 by N. Higgs

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read... but not much else
I read this book on a long haul flight and it was perfect diversionary material. But not much else. While the pace is good and the story is a compelling one, the characterisation is very poor and there are significant gaps in the plot. As other reviewers have suggested, the story line is cliched and key characters (e.g Julia and Margaret) are under-developed. The main...
Published on 1 Sept. 2007 by Lucy Talk

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a man, don't bother!, 31 May 2006
N. Higgs "nina's room" (kent, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
I thought this book was excellent....I stayed up till 2am to finish it (a rare thing indeed being the mother of two small early rising children.) This book IS about post natal depression, but not just that...i'ts also about relationships, the fact that Sally had given up everything to live in a foriegn country....finding a home, job, friends, all while pregnant and in a very short space of time. I won't spoil it for anyone but if you have kids, suffered PND, then read this book!! Reading a good book for me is entertaining, makes the time pass and stops me doing housework. This book is all that and more! Plus, who cares if things aren't 100% accurate? (aka the breastfeeding incident mentioned by a reviewer) great writers are just that.....making great works of fiction, not fact!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read!, 8 Sept. 2003
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Hardcover)
Having read Kennedy's previous book, The Persuit of Happiness, in around 3 days I decided to give this one a go too and see if it was as good as I hoped. I was not dissapointed, although it is a little heavy going in the beginning, half way through the book there is a excellent twist and had me gripped all the way to the end. It was an excellent follow up to his previous work, I read this one in 2 days! Definitley recommend it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read, 27 May 2007
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I've read. It's gripping throughout and is really difficult to put down. You are taken on a journey through the real highs and lows of the character and feel both frustration and sympathy as her relationship with her husband goes from good to bad. I read State of the Union prior to buying this book which again is excellent. The author has an exceptional talent for writing from a woman's point of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever !, 19 May 2005
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
Wow, what a good read. Douglas Kennedy never lets his readers down. Totally addictive book, couldn't put it down. It caused me to be late for work on a few mornings! Interesting characters and so well portrayed and gripping storyline. Also read Mr Kennedy's book 'The Big Picture' - fantastic, wonderful, thrilling - it's a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars A special Relationship, 11 Oct. 2003
mandy esseen (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Hardcover)
This is the first Douglas Kennedy book I have read - thanks to a purchasing order error, and I must say I am most grateful for it! Idly flicking through it to see what the style was like, I chanced upon the section where Sally, the bewildered Mother of a newborn son, is trying to clear her blocked milk ducts before she can breastfeed him. It was at once accurate, grimly humorous and immensely readable. I decided at once to keep it and read the whole book in the course of a Saturday (to the chagrin of my children!) The characters are psychologically rounded - especially Sally, and I am absolutely impressed that a man can represent both the frailness and strength of a woman with such integrity. Read it and see!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Story, 23 Sept. 2008
A. B. Taylor "Allie" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
Once again Kennedy impresses me with his ability to write empathetically from a woman's perspective!

I found this story compulsive and read it very quickly as I was so caught up in the narrative. Sally's character was well drawn and I cared about her from the off. We had less insight into Tony, the prize Rat, but as it was essentially Sally's story, this wasn't a problem.

The attention to detail was excellent and the scenes in the hospital and the courtroom convincing.

Where I must tell Kennedy off however, is that he insisted on caricaturing almost all the Brits, presenting the worst elements of our society in each scenario Sally found herself in!
This particularly applied to the English as the two most sympathetic female characters, Maeve and Julia were Irish & Scottish respectively.
Nigel Clapp was allowed to be a hero, if an unlikely one and Rose Keating, a salt of the earth type, was only a minor character.

I wondered too about the significance of Elaine Plunkett (none as it turned out) I'd carefully filed her away as a probable bit player in Sally's downfall, but all to no avail ~ perhaps the plot was changed?

However, all in all a terrific read and maybe Mr.Kennedy, especially as he resides in London, might wish to acquaint us with some nice English people in future!

4.0 out of 5 stars Piling on the agony, 27 Mar. 2006
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
Once you start reading this roller-coaster book, it's hard to put it down, the events and the agonies come so thick and fast. A certain suspension of belief is necessary as there are one or two rather too convenient occurences that help Sally out of her dilemmas. It was hard to believe that it was possible to take a child from its mother while she is in the throes of postnatal depression.
Tony is truly devious, and Sally's sister an awkward pain, but the mauling Sally received at the hands of the English legal system made a shiver run down my spine. But I was particularly taken with Nigel Clapp, her saviour.
I read the book very fast as it is such a page turner, and then enjoyed it just as much on the second breathless reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Special Relationship, 24 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
I do not write reviews easily but felt compelled to comment on this book.
After reading about one-third I found the book hard to put down and on several occasions found myself smiling or near to tears on Sally's behalf (a rare occurence). The book was vastly different to what was expected and I was suprised the author was male as his insight into motherhood and the emotions attached were so real.
I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended..., 26 Jun. 2004
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Hardcover)
I haven't read a more interesting book than Kennedy's "A Special Relationship". I liked the way he presented the up-and-downs of his heroine, Sally, during and after her postnatal depression and the way he switches events and conversations in a glance. The pages kept me going on and on, especially from the middle of the book onwards. The story is a reflection of love, motherhood, life (up and down), tragedy, destiny and betrayal. I would highly recommend it to everyone...

5.0 out of 5 stars READ IT!, 20 Feb. 2008
Caroline Amy Chamberlain (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Special Relationship (Paperback)
What a brilliant, brilliant book! I have managed to avoid work for 2 straight days due to the fact that once I started - I simply couldn't stop. I hadn't read a Douglas Kennedy book until now and am as a result about to order them all. The story is heartbreaking, gripping, slightly nerve wracking for anyone thinking about the possibility of having a baby (me - up until reading this book!) and absolutely brilliantly written. I was amazed that the author was male, how fantastic that a man should go to such an extent to get himself inside the mind of a woman suffering from any kind of depression. All I can say is buy it - read it - and enjoy!

A Special Relationship
A Special Relationship by Douglas Kennedy (Paperback - 5 Aug. 2004)