Format: PaperbackChange

on 25 October 2003
As a primary school teacher, I used to read this to my Year 1 class. The mixed up shopping list is so irresistably 'correctable' the children would be almost yelling with frustration and enjoyment to put it right! I'm buying it for christmas for my 3 yr old neice as I know she'll love it.
0Comment27 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2010
This was a book I loved when I was a child, so was chuffed I could find it for my son as I knew he'd like it too. It is a great little book about getting muddled up.
It still works all these years later, and now works as a 'retro' book.
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2011
The children I work with enjoyed this book. It had a nice rhyming text and the chldren all tried to remember the correct things to go for. It was funny all the things that sounded the same but were all wrong. Would recommend this book. Have seen from some of your reviews before I bought this that some people thought it out of date. The children I work with certainly did not and neither do I.
on 16 March 2012
I love the theme of this book- a misremembered shopping list. It is a simple and funny idea, and one that I think young children can grasp and that would be familiar to them. BUT! the illustrations - which are important for the visual jokes, and for the age of the children this is aimed at, are so ghastly and amateurish they are distracting. Instead of being able to read the book I find myself staring in horror at the appallingly drawn people who consequently look like distorted, wooden, lumpish, oafs. This book is such a lovely idea that I wish it would be reprinted with professional illustrations.
on 31 December 2015
My children loved this book in the 1980s but it was so well read that when I got it out for my 4 year old grandson it fell to bits and he was very disappointed. I am delighted to have been able to buy a new one which I know he will love. Children love the play on words where the boy is trying to remember what he is meant to buy and the illustrations are fun. It is great for me to introduce the book to the next generation.
on 20 June 2013
I know this book from reading it many times at storytelling sessions. It is an easy repetitive story which young children love to help out with. Buying this to add to my granddaughter's library, she is 15 months and enjoys her growing bookshelf.
on 5 April 2014
The book was in very good condition and well packed when it arrived. The book is a really good story for young children. The pictures are lively and bright and the book is excellent for reading aloud.
on 8 September 2013
Brought this book for my 3 year old,he wasn't very interested in it really. Maybe he's a bit young for it.
I always remembered this book being really good.
Just hope he's gets to like it.
on 5 March 2011
I loved this book as a child and can not wait to read it with my little boy. Haven't read it for so many years and never see it in book shops. So pleased to have found this book!
on 28 December 2011
Its brilliantly retro, its got a lovely rythm to it and it causes my niece to yell 'DONT FORGET THE BACON' at every possible opportunity! It is as great as I remember.