5.0 out of 5 stars That is why it is a Classic
Published on 28 Nov 2008 by Mr. M. Hebblewhite

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, exciting and surprising book.
Emil and the Detectives is about a boy whose mother is a hairdresser. They live in a small village called Neustadt. Emil goes to Berlin to see his grandmother and finds himself chasing a thief. I think this is a good book because you do not know what is going to happen next.
Published on 8 Jan 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars That is why it is a Classic, 28 Nov 2008
This review is from: Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics) (Paperback)
As a child, this must have been one of my most favourite books. 30 years on and bored reading the Horrid Henry books to my son, I decided to find this book and read it to my son, and we had great fun in reading this book. This story maybe from a different decade; however, with such an enchanting story, that is told with sheer vividness, that my son has told all his friends about it and even bought a copy for his best friend. I highly recommend this book, as it's not only a good read; it has some good moral lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little classic! Enormous fun!, 20 Nov 2009
This review is from: Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics) (Paperback)
To begin with Emil leads a double life - he is both responsible for helping his mother who works hard to make ends meet after the death of Emil's father, but he is also rather wild - getting into fights and other mischief.

Having to travel on his own to visit relations in Berlin, and being entrusted to take a large sum of money for his grandmother, Emil takes his duty very seriously. However, this does not stop him from falling asleep on the train, only to find the money missing when he awakes! Then the real adventure begins as he stalks his chief suspect.... but he is not alone - soon he is joined by a gang of local children.

From here, the story has great pace - there is humour and charm in the gusto with which the children organise themselves and track their prey. Patience and ingenuity are required if they are to succeed...

The only strange part to the story is the dream Emil has when he falls asleep on the train - it is rather surreal, but perhaps something children can take in their stride. The only other question I had was regarding the translation - the book goes to a great deal of trouble to explain the sights Emil encounters on his journey, and when everything else in the landscape, including the names, are all German, the money is in pounds!

Published in Germany between the World Wars, it is easy to see how this book has been 'lost,' which is an enormous shame as it is simply wonderful! You could say, given hindsight, these children are a little too organised, but really I found nothing offensive here. In my opinion the story has aged well, just a pity it is not better known.

Pictures are great too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripping children's yarn, 26 Sep 2007
Emil Tischbein and his mother aren't exactly well off. She works as a hairdresser and saves pennies to send to her mother in Berlin. She sends Emil off to stay with his grandma in the holidays, taking the money in his inside pocket. But on the train, someone picks his pocket. Emil jumps off at the Tiergarten to follow the thief and fortunately falls in with a gang of lads who instantly decide they'll become detectives and foil the thief's dastardly plans. Now read on! It gives a detailed picture of prewar Berlin and the children are real-life kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adventuresome children's stuff, 6 Feb 2012
I bought this as I had had it as a child, and like so many books that you knew to be excellent, they disappeared as you grew up. 'Emil & the Detectives' fascinated me then, I think, because like the Famous Five, the children's boldness and potency together knew no bounds, and the writing style is comfortable and occasionally pacey. A really good tale of daring, with some interesting insights into ordinary life in Weimar Germany (sunday suits, train carriage compartments, etc) and some very sweet and satisfying moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its OLDIE but a GOODIE, 27 Jan 2009
This review is from: Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics) (Paperback)
I had this read to me at school in the 1970s and remembered it recently. I read it to my 8 year old and we laughed and were GRIPPED. The story( a theft on board a train to Berlin adn Emils detection) all came back to me and although there were a couple of things to explain, the book retains the sparkle it had the first day it was published. Lovely drawings ( just the right amount) and nice font make it very pleasing to the eye.
This is a book that will make you look forward to your child's bedtime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and adventure - a great combination, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics) (Paperback)
This book is beautifully written with economy and just the kind of details that children like. It is fun, a light hearted and well paced great adventure written with humour and warmth that many commercial childrens books (with hyped up emotions and "jeopardy")lack today. What I like about it? The children in the story range free, they argue a bit,square up, then make up easily, they are cheeky, affectionate and resourceful. Its their story and their world. The only girl character is assertive and funny, speeds around on her bike, and mocks the boys without rancour. And Eric loves his mum, and their relationship is portrayed with humour and warmth, ditto the other adults. Kastner pokes fun at officials, and understands that children can worry too much about getting into trouble for nothing much, and makes it funny. A happy ending with the appropriate delicious food.

4.0 out of 5 stars good old Erich Kaestner, 23 Mar 2010
E. Masih (E.K., Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics) (Paperback)
Since I'm German, I read this and other Erich Kaestner books as a child in German. It is still fun in English for my children (10&5), has not lost it's charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 20 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics) (Paperback)
I had to review this to bump up the star rating; so long as it has its original illustrations, this is a classic suspense tale for young readers, in which the atmosphere of pre-war working class Germany is powerfully evoked. Or are today's kids too sophisticated? Suffice it to say that no film (no English language film, anyway) could do this story justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple fun - just like children's games, 2 Aug 2007
S. Kang (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics) (Paperback)
I don't know how many times I have read this book. I read it first when I was about 9 or 10, and though the title has been clearly lodged in my memory, I keep forgetting what the book is about. So I bought a copy though I'm well past being a child.

'Emil and the Detectives' shows what Kastner is all about. The plot is simple, but at the same time well-set, characters are fun and unique, the dialogue quite witty, and the message ever so clear. This is his most practical, simple, and easy-read at best. I also love his 'Flying Classroom' and 'Parent Trap', but this book, while aimed at slightly younger audience, also has the quintessential simplicity and characters we can warm to in big helpings.

The only disappointing thing is that it is perhaps too thin a book for these detectives and Emil.

5.0 out of 5 stars read these books, u and yr children wont be able to stop!, 4 Aug 2005
Elena (Russia, Moscow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics) (Paperback)
One man said: "when people is growing up they through thier childhood out like an old hat". Erich Kastner is the man who has keeped the childhood in himself.
His books are interesting for all ages - from 8 till 80! He is the great story-teller, he is able to see uncommoness in common things, he speaks interesting with big humor.
Just read these books, u and yr children wont be able to stop!
He wrote 15 books, the most famouse are Emil...,Double Lotthen, Annaluisa and Anton, the 35 of may, when I was little, the flying class , 2 books about the boy from match box

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x99bda9f0)

Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics)
Emil And The Detectives (Red Fox Classics) by Erich Kästner (Paperback - 5 April 2001)