4.0 out of 5 stars Dotty, bonkers and batty, 14 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Professor Branestawm Stories (Red Fox Summer Reading Collections) (Paperback)
I think I would definitely give the original Professor Branestawn stories (those from "The Incredible Adventures") 5 stars. The Professor himself must be a cousin of Cuthbert Calculus of Tintin fame. The stories are eccentric and delightfully batty, while set in a reassuring 1930s world of vicars, majors, colonels and commanders (retd) as well as long-suffering housekeepers and endless cups of tea. My 8 year old had no problem at all identifying with the professor and his mad inventions.

Where this particular collection loses out for me are that there are rather a lot of typos (maybe one of the Professor's machines was let loose on the printing) and the "fillers" in between stories - things to do and make - have dated more than the stories themselves, although I believe these are from the 1970s. Many of these call for items that you just don't have around your house any more, such as metal toothpaste tubes or lead weights.

I would recommend buying the original collections of stories from the 1930s such as "The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawn" rather than this collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Dec. 2013
Came really fast even though brought at last minute for a xmas present, it arrived in time. Packed welL
It was brought for an 8 year old she loved it. I had this book myself as a child years ago in the 60's for xmas and loved it.
She was reading to herself in bed and we could hear her chuckling away .
I will use this seller again and again

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 4 Feb. 2004
I've been looking for these books for a while. I can remember all the hours I've spent laid on my bed when I was a kid chuckling away at the inventions that Professor Branestawm made. Brilliant books and a must for anyone with an active imagination. I've been hunting these books for my children to read and I'm sure they'll be chuckling away themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Popular for young juniors, 14 July 2013
It is always a winner for children - this series should be in all libraries for the 7-9 year olds.

Professor Branestawm Stories (Red Fox Summer Reading Collections)
Professor Branestawm Stories (Red Fox Summer Reading Collections) by Norman Hunter (Paperback - 27 July 2000)