4.0 out of 5 stars Fire and flint Candace Robb.
Fire and flint accompanied me to hospital when I had to stay for a while. It is a long time since I read her books but I did enjoy the rest and a good story.
Published 5 months ago by Mrs. Stella E. Bliss

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read
Published on 26 Feb 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read, 26 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Fire in the Flint (Paperback)
Fans of Candace Robb's excellent Owen Archer mystery series are likely to be disappointed with the Margaret Kerr series, because for a start these are not really mysteries. Much like the first in this series "A Trust Betrayed", this book has little mystery in the storyline, the main character undertakes no detection or investigation to speak of, and the narration creates no suspense.
Lovers of historical novels may be sufficiently entertained by the period details and more realistic approach to the "Braveheart" figure of William Wallace and his contemporaries. But if, like me, you prefer your historical crime fiction to contain a entertaining *mix* of detective story and convincing historical background, this book is probably not for you.
I would advise to wait patiently for the 9th Owen Archer book "The Guilt of Innocents", which will apparently be published in April 2006 in the UK. If that's too long a wait, you can always go and read the Owen Archer short story called "�The Bone Jar�" available on Candace Robb's official web page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fire and flint Candace Robb., 15 May 2014
Mrs. Stella E. Bliss (Devon) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, great delivery., 30 Jan 2014
Naizby Noble "Aged bookworm" (Not Humberside, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fire in the Flint (Paperback)
Very good value for condition, which was exactly as described, if not better. The book is a good read if you like historical who dunnits.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Medieval Mystery, 25 Feb 2013
Mrs. Doreen L. Kellett (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fire in the Flint (Paperback)
Candace Robb has maintained the high standard she set for herself in previous books that I have come across. I was pleased to add this one to my collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not as good as the Owen Archer series, 30 May 2011
This review is from: The Fire in the Flint (Paperback)
The Edinburgh tavern where Margatert lodges is searched and a local drunk is killed. Margaret's husband returns but this does not put an end to her problems, In fact things soon get worse and she has increasing doubts about their relationship. They return home to Perth but it is a frightened city with armies on the march and threatening. Then her father comes back causing difficulties for both Margaret and her mother.

I started this series as I liked many of the Owen Archer books but it just doesn't work for me. I find it hard to put my finger on quite what is wrong but two areas stand out. Firstly, the murders and solving them seem to get lost in the complex politics of the time. They become stories about those politics rather than crime fiction. Secondly, I can't find any reasonable explanation why the characters take the sides they do in those political struggles. These are not the sort of 'belief' politics we are familiar with but ones based on patronage, networks and related interests. It is not clear how such connections affect the main characters who are merchants in status. So why would Margaret care greatly about which Norman lord is King of Scotland?

The Fire in the Flint
The Fire in the Flint by Candace Robb (Paperback - 2 Sep 2004)