5.0 out of 5 stars The must read of the NJO!!
I thought Star by Star was the best novel in this series, but I was proved wrong when I read this book. Star by Star was the first book I bought in this series, but I wish I had started from the begginging. This book cast a shadow over Vector Prime and out classed Star by Star.
Published on 17 April 2005 by Richard Sutherland

3.0 out of 5 stars Stackpole is back; meaning more comic-book posturing
I liked Vector Prime; the Vong had promise, and I think killing off a big character like Chewie took guts (but name me one important thing he ever did, on the scale of the other characters). However, to follow it up with one of the more comic-book style Star Wars authors was not the best decision.
To be fair, the book lacks the same volume of...
Published on 9 Jun. 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The must read of the NJO!!, 17 April 2005
This review is from: Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Star Wars - The New Jedi Order) (Paperback)
It leads on from Vector Prime perfectly and althought the pace isn't so quick it still is an excellent read. With all the Jedi on seperate missions I find it brilliant that the main Jedi encounter the Vong.
Luke and Jacen encounter the Vong ship yards, where Jacen is caught by the Vong and only the true master Luke can save him. Corran has to travel with a newer character Ganner to save Agamar sudents. This is brilliant as at the begginging of this partnership Ganner and Corran are like lightsabers and reject each other in fierce sences. In the end Corran and Ganner come to a greater understanding and this is an excellent turn of events. With Anakin and Mara on Dantooien Anakin comes to think of the force as a gift that should be used lightley and not as much as he does.
The book also benfits from the return of Rouge Squadron and more intense battles against fierce oppents. Another good thing is that every one ends up at Dantooien and the first test of Vong tactics happens. The reasons that this book is great is because everywhere they think is safe turns out not to be and the senate won't listen to Leia. This book is truley magnificent and a must read. Stackpole is truly the best Starwars novelest ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great continuation of the series started by r.a. salvatore, 17 July 2002
This book is an excellent sequel to vector prime, in which alien invaders from an unknown, and previously unreachable galaxy, are trying to conquer the star wars gAlaxy. We discover that the original invaders were simply on a scouting mission for the real yuuzhan vong, and that this particular onslaught is still yet training for the Vong.
I would recommend this book to any star wars fan with a rough history of the expanded universe ( the continuation of the trilogy) , BUT ONLY IF THEY'VE READ VECTOR PRIME.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had to have it surgically removed!, 5 April 2000
By A Customer
WOW! After years of stories based around the same characters and enemies, the continuing adventures in the Star Wars universe were starting to get decidedly dry. Then, suddenly, along comes veteran Star Wars writer Stackpole and blows us away with a mind-blowing story packed with fast paced action and thrills. This book will move you, thrill you, enthrall you and then do it all again! It was so good I had to have it surgically removed!

4.0 out of 5 stars NJO Dark Tide: Onslaught Pt.1 Review, 7 Jun. 2005
After reading I, Jedi i have become a big fan of Stackpole and was realing looking forward to reading this book.
I have never read any of his Rogue Squadron books so i was a bit in the dark with characters like Gavin Darklighter, but he was introduced to him and other characters very well.
Of course Corran Horn is a hero, and enjoyed every moment he was in the book, especially with his interaction with Ganner.
I liked the realtionship that Mara Jade has with the Solo kids, like i said in my review of the last book, i have missed the last 10 years in the Star Wars Universe so have missed the development of these characters.
There were only two things that i didn't like about this book, the first was the under use of Han Solo, i think he only figured in about one chapter, which was a bit of a shame. The second, was probably not Stackpole's fault, but seems to be a trend in this era at the moment and thats the way Kyp Durrons character is progressing at the moment. I think that this character has got real potential and since his debut in Jedi Acadamy he has never really grown the way he could of. I don't like that fact that it seems that he is leading a rebelious Jedi faction against Luke Skywalkers way of teaching. Hopefully though over the course of the series this will pan out and Luke and Kyp will once again be on the same side (where they ever on the same side?!).
Really looking forward to the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars class book!, 18 Aug. 2000
M Smedley (Bidston Village, Wirral, GB) - See all my reviews
I have all the x-wing books so I was pleased when i came across this book by stackpole. He does a good job with the characters, he carries on where vector prime left off on how kyp has been influenced by the events in the acadamy triolgy & I, jedi. It shows how luke since marrying mara has mellowed, from being a person who has to be in the action, to a someone who is now finding it coming his way when all he want's to do is train, and guide his jedi. Hhe handles his first real usage of leia & co with great skill, it is a shame about the lack of han but stackpole does a good job with out him.
We could have done with a little more Lando, or a little more of Rouge Squadron, he does a good job of transfering command from Wedge and Tycho to Gavin, but fails to explain gavin's problems where as anakin's problems are raised and fixed, he doesn't say what gavin's problems are.
Overall it is short but a good read and worth the money and worth getting ruins just to see if it will be up to the same standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 23 April 2000
By A Customer
Well after the slight disappointment of the flawed but promising Vector Prime, I had mixed feelings about this one. But I bought it anyway. The price may seem a bit much for a book this size, but believe me, it IS worth it.
Stackpole takes our old friends (lacking one of course) and gives them a new lease of life. Luke Skywalker in particular, obviously having seen The Phantom Menace, shows us what he's REALLY made of!
However, Han Solo only puts in a brief appearence. This is a curious decision, but obviously is paving the way for his Agents of Chaos duology later in the year.
However, like Vector Prime, the ending seems flawed, and over far too quickly. However, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna buy the second part, Ruin, in June!

4.0 out of 5 stars great atmosphere - and very cool, 17 Oct. 2007
great first part to the next part of the Vong war! really exciting - this series is shaping up so much stronger than the original sw novels. full of huge war battles and troop and space battles, and many one on one style jedi vs Vong battles, many with nail biting finshes. and it is full of cliffhangers - on most chapters! Jacen solo takes his first tentative steps and philosophical decisions towards his impending descent. and the corran horn fight (so many atmospheric fights!) is shaping up well - with a great cliff. i can't wait! Bring on RUIN!

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars is back!, 8 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
Well Stackpole is back! What a Story! THis is the best Star Wars book for a long time. The plot is fast and action packed. I thought this book wouldn't satisfy as it is less than 300 pages but, how wrong could I be! It is about time we actually see Luke reach his full potential and the jedi kids really come ito their own. I was scepticle about The New Jedi Order after reading Vector Prime. After reading Stackpole's latest effort I am definatly a convert! In short, BUY THIS BOOK! Brilliant, Unforgetable. Can't wait for Dark Tide: Ruin!

5.0 out of 5 stars mike stackpole does it again, 2 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
Stackpole's writting can always be relied upon to be fast moving, detailed and intricate. his is another great addition to the starwars universe. i esp like were i think the jedi thread is going, with the split factions around luke and kyp.
im a long time reader and thought the new publishers would maybe ruin a so far amazing and exhilirating expereince, but the have propelled the star wars galaxy higher, creating worlds i wil continue to visit for a long time still to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but was a tad slow in places., 12 July 2000
By A Customer
This book was great. I have read all the star wars books and this was one of the best. Although it was quite slow, this was probably due to the fact that it was only half of the story with "RUINS" still to follow. Stackpole, in my opinion is the best SW author, even better than Timothy Zahn. Corran has always been my favorite character ever since i read the first x-wing book. This book is ace.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Star Wars - The New Jedi Order)
Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Star Wars - The New Jedi Order) by Michael A Stackpole (Paperback - 3 Feb. 2000)