Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 November 1999
The Temp was an excellent read. I have been a temp in the past but not in an office situation. However, I could really relate to the heroine in the book. The characters are all people types I have come across during my varied working career. I want to know when Serena Mackesy's next book is going to hit the bookstands.
on 1 December 1999
It is so rare to find a book where you can relate to the main character and this is definitely one of them for me! It was so true and described in such a funny way that I couldn't stop giggling on the tube, everybody was staring! I loved it and read in a few days! I can't wait til the next one, HURRY!!!
on 11 December 2007
Hilarious writing in which i found myself relating the charectors described to real life work colleagues.It is the perfect book for passing time or a holiday with the easy to read writing style and interesting story although i was slightly dissapointed with the ending, but hey its worth buying!
on 16 December 2000
I enjoyed reading this book because it's funny but has its serious moments to bring you back to reality. It appealed to me and should appeal to temps everywhere! Especially funny is Serena's view on company personnel and how she compares people to characters from Children's books. Enjoy...
on 15 October 1999
An extremely funny and well-observed novel which illustrates perfectly all the many frustrations of being a temp and a house-sharer. The characterisations are spot-on and the plot is a real page-turner. I read it in one go and thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
on 14 September 2010
I bought this book as it appears to reflect my life. After getting a great grade in my media based degree i am still working as a p/a trying to make my break. this book told it how it was and didnt sugar coat anything. enjoyable read with a suprising dark twist in it.
on 7 January 2000
This book made me believe that there is a chance for everyone to succeed in their job. I loved it. All the characters were brilliantly portrayed (especially Ben). This book touched all your emotions and it was an excellent read. Hurry along with the next one Serena!!!
on 24 October 1999
This is the best book I've read in ages. I picked it up in the supermarket after seeing all the ads on the Tube and I could not put it down. It is spot on if you've ever been a temp or lived in a flat share. I want to read it again because I'm sure I've missed bits.
on 28 December 1999
Serena Mackesy's first novel, the Temp, is excellently written and a really entertaining book. Easy to read and to engage with the principal characters. The book is great for reading on the tube/bus on the way to your temporary (or permanent) employment ...
on 4 January 2000
The Temp is witty & irreverent yet creates empathy for the main characters (Ben was the favourite). After reading The Temp I can hardly wait for the next Serena Mackesy novel!