on 19 June 1999
This book is very good and I'd reccomend it to you. It's about two lads who have thought of a way to stop every emergency they can think of, but not how to stop Marv Hammerman beating them up, this is the eighteenth emergency. It's very funny and read it if you want a good enjoyable book to take up some of your free time.
on 19 January 2000
I have recently read this book to a class of 30 children aged 11 and 12. They were thouroughly enthralled in the story. The book has a lot of humour in it and the children could relate well to many of the experiences especially those relating to bullying. The book goes through a number of 'emergencies' which the children in my class shared their opinions on. All the time they were eagerly waiting to find out just what the 18th emergency would be. What was it?.... You will have to read it to see!
on 30 September 2012
I read this book four times back in the seventies when I was a ten tear old boy.I was delighted to see that it was still in print now, so i bought it for my ten year old son, He has loved it too and I have re read it again as an adult in my forties.
I am now able to appreciate the efortless way that Betsy Byars gets into the mindset of a young boy,in fact I can't believe that she was not one herself at some point!!Joking aside this is a lovely warm and witty story that, although not mentioned by name is obviously set in New York, as you can almost smell and taste the city.
on 30 May 2012
Dear Readers

Personally as a child I love the story and will recommend it to another child or adult.
I think this book is all about encouraging people not to bully people and not to encourage bully's. It's not easy but not hard to read it is just in the middle.

What will Benji do when he comes face to face with a bully. Why had he have done such a dumb thing. Will he ever face his fears. Read it to find out!!!
on 31 July 2014
As a teacher this has been my all-time favourite book to read to my class. My copy is falling to pieces and I must treat myself to a new one. The class I'll have this year will be the correct age for the story and I'm hoping they will enjoy it as much as I do. It also lends itself well to doing a topic on American life and culture at the same time as reading the novel.
on 11 May 2014
I read this book several times as a child and loved it! I don't know what made me think of it 20+ years later but I had to order it and read it one more time! It didn't disappoint - just reading the first line brought back what happened in this fabulous tale! I won't ruin it for you but I loved it as an 8 yr old and I still love it as an ..... adult.
on 9 March 2002
I have fairly enjoyed this book, with its hilarious, exciting solutions to unbelievable problems such as getting caught in a quicksand or with a shark in the sea!!! The best thing I have really enjoyed is that it just describes how a young boy's life would generally be at school, and the basic problem he would surely face there, being bullied by older boys. It is very annoying but in this book it is hilarious how they all fear one particular boy,Marv Hammerman,up to an unvelievable extent. Here is where all the humour lies! But Betsy Byars ended the book in a fairly enjoyable way which teaches us one very inportant moral, never give up but stand up and fight and try hard because you might do it, you never know, and Mouse certainly did. I really didn't give it a rating of five because in spite of the excellent storyline of the book, the level of excitement was not kept fairly high throughout the book. The story was sometimes rather lame but other than that, the story still kept its humour and interesting hilarity! If you have enjoyed othe books by Betsy Byars, then you better read this one too!
0Comment8 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2013
This book was my daughter's Year 7 designated book this term. The story is fun to read, has some great vocabulary and is a wonderful story about friendship, courage and what to do in an emergency!
on 1 September 2013
Daughter enjoyed and said it was a good book, although quite a small book so quick to read. It is part of the school curriculum
on 21 October 2003
I liked the book, but sometimes it got boring when he kept thinking about Hammerman.Hammerman is a bully. He threatens to kill Mouse (Benjie). I think Benjie should have been a bit tougher about it; he should have stood up for himself a bit more. If it were like this it would have been more interesting.
Ezzie is his best mate, I like him he is funny and my favourite.
There is also a dog called Garbage Dog who scruffs around the neighbourhood, he' s smelly and scruffy. Read this book and you'll find what else happens..............
By Shannen age 9
0Comment7 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse