on 16 March 2006
Bought this book for my 7 year old daughter who had been asking questions about "Where do babies come from?" - and I didn't want to fob her off. This book tells children the biological truth to their question in a fun way with great illustrations and provokes some laughter in the process. If you don't want to lie to your children but don't want to frighten them either - this is a great book. Have recommended it to friends with children of the same age. Being truthful with your child at this age and on this subject in particular is so very important and means they can ask open questions without feeling that the subject is taboo or dirty in some way. Babette Cole's books are a joy and I highly recommend them
22 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2006
I bought this for my 5 year old daughter who has been asking for more information than "Daddy gives Mummy a seed!" This book really helped me to answer her questions without me lying or getting embarrassed. She was really interested in the information but not put off or appalled by it! It is a non-threatening read and I'd thoroughly recommend it for this age group.
on 22 January 2004
This is my childs favourite book. I think it could be mine as well!
I laugh at the illustrations of mummy & daddy fitting together on a skateboard whilst my son laughs at the idea that boy babies are made from slugs & snails & puppydogs tails!
Excellent-I've bought all my friends a copy for their children.
A 'Red Fox Mini Treasures' edition.

Mum and Dad decide to tell their kids (twins) where they came from. But their far-fetched ideas don't impress their offspring, who teach them the true story.

My son and I (4) have recently enjoyed Nicholas Allan's 'Where Willy Went', and I wanted this to complement that. It does in some respects. This is funny - Mum and Dad try and encourage the kids to believe in dinosaur delivery, slugs and snails, and gingerbread babies. This could, for some children, be confusing potentially, my son enjoyed saying "nooooo!" when Mum and Dad got it wrong.

The children of course, get the right story, with picture detail (though I wasn't too keen on the pictures of how a mum and dad join together - a space hopper?!), but the vocabulary is there - seed, egg, tube (Allan also used sperm, which I thought helpful, though seed makes sense as well).

Wasn't quite sure about the ending, but the content is good, it's a great introduction for curious young minds. I wouldn't go for the Mini Treasure edition though - very small and hard to make out the detail on some pictures, especially those with small speech bubbles.
on 9 December 2010
My eight year old had started asking questions so I purchased this book as it had been recommended to me, the cartoons were simple and my son although clearly suprised enjoyed the book. At first I thought it may be too young for him but it has been a great starting point I have a younger son of 6 and would happily show him the book if he started asking questions now.
on 19 October 2008
When my daughter started asking why you needed a man and a woman to make a baby (after the cats had had their operation!), I knew the time was coming close to my explaining 'how babies are made'. When the subject came up again (for some bizarre reason in the middle of the X-Factor), I explained the basics, without going into unnecessary detail, but she still wanted to know how the man's seed got into the woman! I feel that it is important to be honest with children and give them truthful answers appropriate for their age group and this book does just that. I decided to buy this book from Amazon, but after having read a couple of negative reviews about it on this website, I wondered whether my memory was failing me as to its content, so I went into town and looked at all the books available. In my opinion this was by far the best. All the others went into far too much detail with complicated scientific diagrams and information which just isn't necessary for a six year old. This doesn't. I read it to my daughter and asked her if she had any further questions and she didn't really as it had just reinforced what I had said verbally with cartoon pictures. Neither of us were embarrassed and it was a great basis for further discussions when she is ready and older. As a teacher I have found that if you aren't honest about this subject with your children, they just get half truths from their friends and are too embarrassed to discuss it with their parents. The book starts with parents telling their children silly ways in which babies are made such as them growing in the garden etc. The children tell their parents that they are wrong and draw some basic cartoon pictures to explain the process clearly to their parents in an age appropriate manner.
on 2 August 1999
I just love Babette Cole's illustrations, they alone make me laugh! This is a really cute way of introducing your child to sex. Even if the topic embarrasses you, you'll find this book easy to read to your child. My son and I both love this book.
on 20 April 2015
Fantastic! Bought this for our 4 and a half year old as he was asking his mother a lot of questions on the pregnancy. The explanation of "They'll come out from between mammy's legs" didn't sit right with him. He concluded himself that they came out of each knee (twins expected). We looked at this book and were shocked. Showed friends who were equally shocked. But after about a month we showed it to him, particularly the "...between mammy's legs" part. He said and asked nothing. When his aunty, equally shocked by the book, asked him in passing"So do you know where babies will come out of?" he answered nonchalently "...from between mammy's legs". Job Done (fingers crossed)!
on 8 January 2012
Got this to start the process with my children (girl 7, boy, 5, girl 4, boy 2). Had already given them some ideas as things arose in the day-to-day. When I read the book for them, the oldest turned to me and said - "they're trying to tell us what you told us already!" which I thought was fantastic. The pictures are hilarious. My children really identified with the kids in the book, trying to explain things simply to their daft parents. My older boy cracked up seeing the couples together - said if his wife sat up on him like that he'd kick her off! But it was all within a context and they accepted everything really well.I even overheard them explaining how babies are made to my unsuspecting husband later!
on 17 October 2003
A new baby on the way, a three-year-old asking the obvious questions, a daddy referring all said queries to mummy...Babette Cole to the rescue.
Other 'facts of life' fodder was way too in-depth for my daughter to cope with. However after several sessions of reading 'Mummy Laid an Egg' she suddenly piped up and said "Oh so it comes out of your bottom" and hasn't wanted to know any more since.
The pictures are hilarious, the text is concise yet still gives enough information for ages 3+ to digest and more importantly understand. A brilliant book either for answering those awkward questions a prospective sibling provokes or introducing the subject they'll all be fascinated with by puberty.