4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully written book, that will appeal to adults/kids.
As an SEN assistant, this has got to be one of the most beautiful books I have ever had the pleasure of sharing with children of all abiltities and ages.
Published on 7 Oct. 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars wouldn't it be nice...
Wouldn't it be nice if disabled children were all 'just like you and me,' as this book claims? The fact is they're not. My autistic children are not like you or me - and there are far more autistic children than the 100,000 mobility-impaired children in the UK. Random House publishes this book about a girl in a wheelchair and then sits back while the praise and cash roll...
Published on 13 July 2005 by Jc Landsbert-noon

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully written book, that will appeal to adults/kids., 7 Oct. 2001
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Paperback)
The book is written so that young readers can read it to themselves or share it with their friends or family. The beautifully illustrated pictures show Susan doing general day to day activities which children can relate to. This is a book with enough depth to form the basis of a discussion with children of all ages. It looks with insight, and without sentimentality at an issue that is relevant to all our lives and with clever picture shows Susan to be like any child in our lives, we only realize that Susan is a child with special needs at the very end. There are only a few words in this book, but it delivers a powerful message. Well done Jeanne Willis and Tony Ross, for providing a positive image of children with special needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 17 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Paperback)
I'm a childminder and I read this to some 3/4 year olds. Everyone was very excited at each activity "I can do that, too!" and we talked about how much fun they had swimming, pony riding and the rest.
I think the last page came as quite a surprise! It certainly gave them food for thought to know that children with disabilities are actually just the same as they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has a very strong message., 22 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Hardcover)
Susan laughs is an excellent book with a very strong message in it. It is about a girl called Susan that can do everything an average child can do but, at the end of the book it has a picture of Susan in a...I won't spoil the story for you!!! It's a fully illustrated book with strong words. I give it 5 stars because it's so cool! You'll regret it if you don't read this book.
RATING:10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book!, 25 May 2005
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Paperback)
If I could give this book 100 stars, I would! Okay, so the story's simple, but the meaning behind the story is not just something children need to learn. It's for all of us. I used this book recently with a group of 4-5 year old children and they loved it! It opened up a discussion time on disabled people during which the children made a great contribution. I'd recommend this book to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars autism is not the only disability, 21 Oct. 2005
K. Hammond (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Paperback)
I do like this book, unlike Jen from Belgium. One of my children is both mobility impaired i.e. phyiscally disabled, and autistic. I find that there are plenty of books on the market for children about autism - a quick search on autism through children's books on amazon will reveal that. This book is no less valid because it is not about autistic children, hearing or visually impaired children. It has a valid contribution to make to young children's attitudes to one type of disability just as Looking after Louis or My Brother is Different have when it comes to autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple approach to understanding disability., 19 April 2008
Wendy Sparkes (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Paperback)
Susan laughs, sings, cries, is happy & sad, waves, paints, grins - just like most children. The end picture you see her sitting in a wheelchair with the words "That is Susan through and through - just like me, just like you."
Very simply, but effectively, written. As a Nursery Nurse I have used this book in the nursery, particularly when I have had SEN children in the class. It provides discussion on what can be a difficult subject, helping to teach understanding and care.
Highly recommended.

Ringo the Flamingo

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, remarkable, children's book, 4 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Hardcover)
It is a grand book and quite an unusual one. It makes us fall in love with young "Susan" before hitting us with its surprise-shock ending on the final page and making us think. Uplifting. One of the best "disability" books for children I have read.

Susan is a lot of fun as she goes through the whole gamot of emotions and gets up to some defiant mischief. One for parents, teachers and children to enjoy.

Charming illustrations.

It is also a good book for a child with delayed language (or starting reading) as it is a "proper" illustrated children's book - not a board book, yet only a few simple words on every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 13 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Hardcover)
This is a great subtle book that is very clever in getting the message across without it being in your face. I would definetly take this book into school for my son to share with his classmates and help them gain some insight into disability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 30 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Paperback)
A beautiful book which has really been appreciated in my home, shows inclusion without being too obvious and is simple enough to read for the littler ones too. Item received in good time and in good condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan Laughs, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Susan Laughs (Paperback)
A wonderful story that shows Susan is just like you and me and lives life to the full, even though she is in a wheelchair. An endearing book which expresses a message of equality in a simple and effective way. Recommended reading.

Susan Laughs
Susan Laughs by Jeanne Willis (Paperback - 3 May 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01