5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Make time for talking
Published on 3 Oct 2006 by Mrs Lynne P Howie

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting!
Completely inappropriate!
As a Primary School teacher I found the book absolutely unsuitable for young children. SOME of the pictures were suitable for young eyes, however, the text is very much on an adult level. A lot of the questions discussed are not necessary for Infant children.
Published on 1 Oct 2003 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Make time for talking, 3 Oct 2006
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Paperback)
If your child is starting to ask some of the more "challenging" questions and you're not quite sure how to pitch the answers, this book give the prefect opportunity to sit down and chat, rather than get red-faced in the supermarket. By asking your child what they know about the questions raised in the book, it gives you a greater understanding of how their little minds work and all the little stories they might over hear and not fully understand outside their home. I was disappointed to hear people did not like it which has prompted me to write this as to me this book is all about fun and beginning to understand real life rather than wrapping our children up in cotton wool which will not help them or keep them safe as they grow up and experience the big, wide and sometimes scary world that is out there. This book purely gives you an opportunity to talk to your child and help them understand, along with some very funny pictures. The one thing to be prepared for is maybe having to answer some of the questions yourself. Such as "why do mummy and daddy shut the bedroom door?", but what you tell your children can be pitched at whatever level is right for them, such as "because we want some time alone to cuddle". You don't even have to mention sex if your child is not ready. And if we tell children about male female relationships without mentioning sex why can't we do they same for same sex relationships?! I love this book and always laugh and giggle every time I open it, isn't that what children's lives are about?

5.0 out of 5 stars mummy never told me there were so many narrow minded folk out there..., 24 Oct 2010
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Paperback)
A lot of the negative reviews of this book seem to be me to be pretty homophobic to be honest. Why is it inappropriate to talk about two women or two men loving each other - Irregardless of how young the audience? Surely it should be as normal as talking about two people of opposite sexes? It seems like common sense to me to address such topics openly with children at home before they get some warped notions from the schoolyard.
Woe betide any of these people worried about discussing homosexuality with their kids actually have a son or daughter who is gay ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed that people still find homosexuality offensive, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Paperback)
I am amazed at some of the attitudes regarding this book, especially homosexuality! I love this book and I want my children to grow up knowing that sometimes girls love girls and boys love boys, and that is just as normal as girls loving boys. It is a subject we've talked about in various conversations. If my children grow up to be gay that is 100% as okay with me as if they are heterosexual.
I believe in teaching children to be open minded and accepting, there is already too much intolerance in their world.
The book does not go into any graphic detail, more just acknowledges that some girls love girls. I don't find that any more offensive than saying some girls love boys.
I bought this book before my 1st child was born as I loved it, and it still gets read 6 years later.

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, 3 Jun 2008
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Paperback)
It's amazing that people who think they are not prudes suffer so much to raise issues of sexuality with their children! We found this book helpful and humourous in its gentle exploration of a child's curiosity about all sorts of unanswered questions. Telling how the critics are only bothered about the lesbianism and homosexuality - shows us all where they stand, doesn't it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Its about time!, 22 Sep 2005
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Paperback)
I think this book is fantastic. I was dissapointed to read other peoples negative reviews. This book touches on real life subjects and introduces children to the real world...its about time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Age appropriate..., 8 Jan 2008
Janie Doe (Canterbury, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Paperback)
I was slightly disappointed with this book but not because of any of the smallminded reasons some people sited, more because I was hoping it would introduce the normality of homosexuality to my son who has somehow picked up a negative attitude towards this at the age of 9. My only disappointed however is that I wish I'd had this book to show him 4 years ago when he was younger as it a bit young for him. I should have perhaps looked more at the synopsis before buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely appropriate!!, 5 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Hardcover)
This book is a god send-- thank god for realistic authors who don't fill their books with fairy pictures & flowers!! the pictures are humerous and and ask the questions that many children think! i.e why do old men have hair on their ears but not their heads..! also asks questions like why do two women sometimes love eachother-- this book deals with realistic issues which only become taboo if we make them so for our children!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Paperback)
just love Babette Cole books, illustrations are as hilarious as the text & subjects, adding to the collection for future generation

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting!, 1 Oct 2003
Completely inappropriate!

1.0 out of 5 stars A horrible book, 3 May 2004
This review is from: Mummy Never Told Me (Paperback)
The publishers review makes this book look humorous. I ordered this for my 5 year old daughter. I stopped reading after 3 pages (at my daughter's request..as well as mine!) I am not a prude but a 5 year old is absorbing enough at this age without being "forced" to question lesbianism, plastic surgery and teenage pregnancy, accompanied by pictures which are the stuff nightmares are made of.

Mummy Never Told Me
Mummy Never Told Me by Babette Cole (Paperback - 4 Mar 2004)
5.99