• Simp

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 October 2001
An early work of John Burningham's, Cannonball Simp, tells the story of a stray black pup (Simp)who nobody seems to want. Simp ends up at a circus and acts as a cannonball in a clown's act. The audience and the management of the circus are thrilled by the act. The clown's job is saved and Simp becomes Cannonball Simp, and lives with the clown.
The illustrations are bold, bright and beautiful. The pup is a truly engaging character and the circus is one where animals are treated with respect. The text is both poignant and lively.
This is a Burningham classic.
on 11 May 2012
My class (year 3) are currently studying John Burningham and they thought this book was "simp"ly amazing! The children loved the fact that an abandoned and unloved dog became the star of the show. The part where Simp was fired from the cannon was the part most liked best and they loved it when they discovered that Simp was based on the author's real "fat, round and ugly" dog Lulu (no offence to Lulu!).

All in all a wonderful book written (in our opinion) by an incomparable author. Thank-you for the pleasure you have given us reading your books this term.
on 11 October 2009
This is a great book. I read this book to my Year 3 class and they loved it. They were hooked once they realised it was not one of the usual happy stories we read. They were desperate to know what happened to poor Simp.
on 8 October 2011
When I mentioned to my two sons I'd bought Simp for my grandson, they both wanted to read it! Having read it to them countless times over thirty years ago proves it has stood the test of time. It's a wonderful story, superbly illustrated, up to the usual John Burningham standard.
on 22 April 2016
I bought this book for my class and they absolutely loved it! We could have planned a good two weeks worth of lessons out of this book! I now have it at home for my own children and they ask for this book over and over again at bed time!
on 2 August 2014
This is such a sweet book, the story of an unloved doggy who finds her place in life. Recommended for kids and adults alike. If you're not moved by the story and the pictures of cute little Simp then you have no heart! Buy this book!
on 11 March 2013
The first time I read this for my 3 3/4 year old, he was utterly enchanted. His words when I finished: "Read it again mammy".
That's the only time that's ever happened (usually he wants another book) and says it all.
on 31 March 2014
We had this as kids, really beautiful drawings and great story, just as wonderful as I remember as a kid
on 4 March 2009
Having owned and cherished John Burningham's classic 'Mr Gumpy's Motor Car' as a child, I set out as a parent to see if he had written anymore. I was thrilled to discover a whole range of Burningham efforts, each with the distinctive artwork and the deceptively simple stories. Cannonball Simp is the slightly surreal tale of a dog who finds out where he really belongs; the book is not my favourite of Burningham's but is still better than most childrens' authors could ever produce. However, it is the illustrations that really resonated with me, and I suspect, thousands of others over the years.
on 22 September 2014