5.0 out of 5 stars Borka, 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: Borka: The Adventures Of A Goose With No Feathers (Paperback)
Used this to create a simple story map and to talk about migration. Also brings in notion of difference and how the other young geese treat Borka (who is different because she has no feathers) This led to development of vocabulary such as unkind, insensitive, thoughtless etc. Then there is the contrast between Borka's new friends who help her to find a good place to be.
Lovely story for all age groups. Used the artwork to consider colour, texture and techniques as a way of depicting a cold lonely landscape. The pictures produced by a Yr3 class were stunning and accompanied by writing that contained beautiful descriptive phrases to accompany the part where Borka sees the other geese flying away from the marsh.
Highly recommended on all levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite all time story!, 9 Sep 2007
I LOVED this as a child & now read it to my class of Year 1 children. It is such a heart warming story of a goose who was a "bit different". Lovely pictures and a great ending (I won't spoil it, you'll have to buy it).
Absolute classic - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emjay, 8 Oct 2011
M. Johnston (France) - See all my reviews
I bought Borka for my grandson on the strength of other reviews and was not disappointed. Great story, wonderful illustrations, I'm sure it will remain a favourite for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Borka is brilliant by Seb age seven, 20 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This is one of my favourite stories. Borka is a bald goose who can not fly. When the other geese migrate Borka has to find a new home... This is John Burningham's first book. A great story with brilliant pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply lovely, 16 Jan 2014
Borka is a really lovely book about a goose born with no feathers and his mum knits him a jumper. The other geese laugh at him so he leaves them in the and finds new friends. My daughter had the book at school and she talked about it at home so I bought it for her so we could enjoy it together at home. A simple message that conveys even if we are different we can all have friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely version of a classic children's picture book, 2 Sep 2013
This is an old favourite that I read to my children many years ago, and then read to their children... the Kindle transcription is completely faithful, with the only real addition compared to a facsimile of the book being the ability to enlarge the text on a page to make it easier to read.

The whole point of Borka, as with other books by John Burningham is the really wonderful illustrations, which are real paintings, still accessible to a child, but miles away from a literal 'Ladybird' approach: it would be great to put almost any page of this book in a frame on one's wall.

Clearly this book has to be seen in colour, so (I think) there's not much point in trying to view it on a black and white device like a basic Kindle. It's fine on a Kindle Fire, tablet or desktop computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Borka John Burningham, 23 Jun 2011
I ordered this book for my three year old grandson as I remembered reading with his father! My memory had not let me down and I was not disappointed. The book is just as lovely as I had remembered - it is an endearing story giving young children the opportunity to empathise with poor Borka. All is well in the end of course and Borka resolves into a happy ending. Beautiful illustrations with plenty of detail and good wordy text which does not talk down to young children. I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 Oct 2010
What a lovely book :) Mentions Kew Gardens as well so the kids at school loved it:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Master storyteller, 4 Mar 2009
Having owned and cherished John Burningham's classic 'Mr Gumpy's Motor Car' as a child, I set out as a parent to see if he had written anymore. I was thrilled to discover a whole range of Burningham efforts, each with the distinctive artwork and the deceptively simple stories. Borka is not my favourite but is still better than most childrens' authors could ever produce; the tale of the goose who didn't fit in is a great variation on an old idea. But it is the illustrations that really resonated with me, and I suspect, thousands of others over the years.

Borka: The Adventures Of A Goose With No Feathers
Borka: The Adventures Of A Goose With No Feathers by John Burningham (Paperback - 4 Mar 1999)
4.89