5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Collection

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 22 Nov. 2009 by D. Bateman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Collection, 27 Feb. 2007
A. Cox (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome To The Monkey House and Palm Sunday: An Autobiographical Collage: "Welcome to the Monkey House", "Palm Sunday" (Paperback)
Kurt Vonnegut has got to be my favourite novelist around. His writing is so unusual, captivating and unique. I've already loved his major books and wanted to read some of his acclaimed short stories. I got this mainly for the 'Welcome to the Monkey House' section which is the first 300 pages and for this alone gets the 5 stars. The short stories are so varse; some science fiction and others traditional love stories, they work so well as a collective. Major highlights are the titled story 'Welcome to the Monkey House' which is strangly beautiful. As well as the interesting 'The Euphio Question' and quite cruel 'All the King's Horses'. The second part is good but i alone recommend anybody to buy it purely for the short stories. An accumulation of old stories that ended up in magazines. Buy this book, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars RIP KV, 1 April 2010
D. Pidgeon - See all my reviews
The idea of describing anything Vonnegut wrote as a 'pot boiler' is bizarre! This marvellous collection of fiction, essays and autobiography should accompany you through the rest of your life. I've been revisiting it regularly for 15 years or so. Vonnegut's prose is quirky and unusual, and deceptively simple (apparently a simplicity achieved by endless revision and honing), but always extremely thought provoking and wise. What impresses me most (and this is a quality of all his work) is his sound moral sense. He was one of the good guys, and I wish he were still with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for the free thinkers, 7 April 2009
TheMummy (St Leonards on Sea) - See all my reviews
I read the short story collection 'Welcome to the Monkey House' 30 years or so ago. Since then my original copy has long been lost/borrowed or given away. Several times I bought new copies as gifts. A few years ago wanting to introduce my children to Vonnegut I was devastated to discover that it was out of print. The only copy available to buy anywhere that I could find was in the library of a recently deceased rock star - so it came with a celebrity price tag.

I am telling you to buy a copy now and read it - the stories will stay with you forever, but the book probably won't because you will want to share it with friends and the like minded.

I presume this has been released following the death of Kurt Vonnegut jnr. Who knows how soon before it is out of print again?

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and wonderful, 8 Sept. 2009
Not many writers can vary styles and genres, but this guy pulls it off amazingly from one short story to the next. Interesting and unusual. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of short stories from various sources, 1 July 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book is a collection of 25 short stories. They are simple but you can if you want read great depth in them. These stories would make good starters for a reading group or circle. They are professional but not extraordinary or unique.

"The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal in every way."

I bought this book for one story in particular "Harrison Bergeron"; I bought the movie with Sean Astin and thought even if the story was fleshed out to be more like "This Perfect Day". So I thought it would be time to read the story. Unfortunately the short story can not hold a candle to the movie. It never really gets off the ground and comes to a curt conclusion never resolving the conflict.

5.0 out of 5 stars World of Books offer an excellent array of books, 10 Aug. 2014
World of Books offer an excellent array of books. Speedy and seamless delivery - I just wish they offered a postage deal for 3 or more books....

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Nov. 2009
D. Bateman (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
I only purchased this book because I saw a reference to one of the stories (Harrison Bergeron) which sounded intriguing. The story started promisingly but the resolution was flat and unimaginative. I thought the same about the rest of the tales, 'The Monkey House' I thought was plain silly. I have to admit, though, that I do not much care for short stories. The last half of the book was devoted to 'Palm Sunday', a sort of autobiography, which held no interest for me. This book will find its way to a charity shop.

I can't see, from this offering, why Vonnegut is so popular, maybe the novels are better, on his own admission these stories were only pot-boilers while he produced the longer works.