5.0 out of 5 stars Explained with fun and laughter !
Published on 16 Mar 2006 by MRS TRACY RIVERS

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not for preschool agegroup
No problem with book condition or delivery, but it was not appropriate for pre schoolers (in my opinion).
The illustrations of the different positions I felt was not needed and if it wasn't for this page I would of kept the book.
Just not for me.
Published 17 months ago by marie thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Explained with fun and laughter !, 16 Mar 2006
This review is from: Mummy Laid An Egg! (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
Bought this book for my 7 year old daughter who had been asking questions about "Where do babies come from?" - and I didn't want to fob her off. This book tells children the biological truth to their question in a fun way with great illustrations and provokes some laughter in the process. If you don't want to lie to your children but don't want to frighten them either - this is a great book. Have recommended it to friends with children of the same age. Being truthful with your child at this age and on this subject in particular is so very important and means they can ask open questions without feeling that the subject is taboo or dirty in some way. Babette Cole's books are a joy and I highly recommend them

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun and frank introduction to the birds and bees, 6 April 2006
K. Jordan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mummy Laid An Egg! (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I bought this for my 5 year old daughter who has been asking for more information than "Daddy gives Mummy a seed!" This book really helped me to answer her questions without me lying or getting embarrassed. She was really interested in the information but not put off or appalled by it! It is a non-threatening read and I'd thoroughly recommend it for this age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Light of a Difficult Subject!, 16 Feb 2007
D. Starkey (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mummy Laid An Egg! (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I am currently expecting a second bundle of joy, and my sister in law bought this for my 3 year old to explain to her where babies come from.

This is a hilarious book, it explains how babies are made, and yes, this does include the fact that the act of love making does need to occur. However this is dealt with in a fun and inoffensive way. If people honestly think that this will encourage children to try it out for themselves, I say go ahead, let them try, it will be safer than contraception as there is no way I can work out how to make love whilst tied up with helium balloons!

My 3 year old is happy with the explanation, and like the other reviewer, believes the baby comes from the bottom and has asked no further questions. This is a good, light hearted way to give children the basics correctly which can be developed when the time comes for the next stage of the `birds and the bees'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Babette Cole!, 17 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Mummy Laid An Egg! (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
A new baby on the way, a three-year-old asking the obvious questions, a daddy referring all said queries to mummy...Babette Cole to the rescue.
Other 'facts of life' fodder was way too in-depth for my daughter to cope with. However after several sessions of reading 'Mummy Laid an Egg' she suddenly piped up and said "Oh so it comes out of your bottom" and hasn't wanted to know any more since.
The pictures are hilarious, the text is concise yet still gives enough information for ages 3+ to digest and more importantly understand. A brilliant book either for answering those awkward questions a prospective sibling provokes or introducing the subject they'll all be fascinated with by puberty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for my 6 year old without unnecessary details., 19 Oct 2008
Mum22 (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mummy Laid An Egg! (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
When my daughter started asking why you needed a man and a woman to make a baby (after the cats had had their operation!), I knew the time was coming close to my explaining 'how babies are made'. When the subject came up again (for some bizarre reason in the middle of the X-Factor), I explained the basics, without going into unnecessary detail, but she still wanted to know how the man's seed got into the woman! I feel that it is important to be honest with children and give them truthful answers appropriate for their age group and this book does just that. I decided to buy this book from Amazon, but after having read a couple of negative reviews about it on this website, I wondered whether my memory was failing me as to its content, so I went into town and looked at all the books available. In my opinion this was by far the best. All the others went into far too much detail with complicated scientific diagrams and information which just isn't necessary for a six year old. This doesn't. I read it to my daughter and asked her if she had any further questions and she didn't really as it had just reinforced what I had said verbally with cartoon pictures. Neither of us were embarrassed and it was a great basis for further discussions when she is ready and older. As a teacher I have found that if you aren't honest about this subject with your children, they just get half truths from their friends and are too embarrassed to discuss it with their parents. The book starts with parents telling their children silly ways in which babies are made such as them growing in the garden etc. The children tell their parents that they are wrong and draw some basic cartoon pictures to explain the process clearly to their parents in an age appropriate manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Factual, Fun for Kids and Adults too..., 18 Mar 2002
Bought this book in a hurry as we know and love the books by Babette Cole and thought it would be just another zany story like the others we have read. I did not expect it to be about the facts of life. My husband and I were intrigued and delighted by what we read and I was forced to telephone my sister to tell her to buy it immediately just so she could share in the humour of it. My two year old thoroughly enjoyed it and successfully identified 'willy' from the delightfully amusing illustrations. (She has a baby brother.) The point of the book is probably beyond most two year olds but buy it now to give yourselves a laugh and put it by for when they are three or so and asking about mummies and daddies bits - this book will be invaluable then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, exactly what I was looking for!, 28 April 2007
This review is from: Mummy Laid An Egg! (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
I totally disagree with those who found this book inappropriate. My daughter is nearly 8 and has been asking questions. I searched for a book that I felt had enough detail but wasn't too explicit and this is spot on.

The illustrations are basic in the 2nd half of the book because it is supposed to be the children drawing the pictures to explain to their parents what really happens after mum & dad are too embarrassed to tell them the truth. It's a fantastic way of explaining things and I think my daughter understood it more because it was done in this basic format.

I would totally recommend this book for both boys and girls. As parents we know when our children are ready to know about this subject and this is a great introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mummy Laid An Egg, 29 Mar 2009
I was worried I'd given the "birds & bees" talk too early, she is only 7 after all. However, this book has become a favourite already. Information is presented clearly, with just the right amount of silliness to make it non-threatening. Best of all, the kids in the book get to present the correct solution to the conundrum of where babies come from, while the parents remain clueless. Really, this is hysterically funny to 7/8 year olds, believe me.
The only thing I would say against this book is that it will appeal to quite a small age-range. Much younger than 6/7 and it will be incomprehensible, much older than 8/9 and it may be too childish.
I've recommended it to everyone I can think of, and will be passing our copy on to younger neices and nephews.

5.0 out of 5 stars A giggly introduction to the facts of life, 10 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Mummy Laid An Egg! (Red Fox Picture Books) (Paperback)
When I told my 5 year old daughter a simplified version of the facts of life ('the man puts his willie in the lady's bits and together they make a baby'), she got the giggles: 'Mummy, you're joking!' The giggles didn't stop with this book, but at least it corroborates my far-fetched story! Thanks again to Babette Cole from the mother of a real Princess Smartypants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun for Kids & Adults, 22 Jan 2004
This is my childs favourite book. I think it could be mine as well!
I laugh at the illustrations of mummy & daddy fitting together on a skateboard whilst my son laughs at the idea that boy babies are made from slugs & snails & puppydogs tails!
Excellent-I've bought all my friends a copy for their children.

Mummy Laid An Egg! (Red Fox Picture Books)
Mummy Laid An Egg! (Red Fox Picture Books) by Babette Cole (Paperback - 1 Jun 1995)
5.59