4.0 out of 5 stars The strongest third of a fine trilogy.
Published on 2 Mar 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not quite up to Par
For anyone who's read The Wild Roads and The Golden Cat, they'll know the standard of those books was high. I felt in some way The Knot Garden didn't live up to my previous experiences with these writers - it seemed a little inconsistent, and for me the human characters just didn't work. There was little engaging or like-able about them.

The theme of animal...
Published on 16 April 2008 by gruffler

4.0 out of 5 stars The strongest third of a fine trilogy., 2 Mar 2001
This review is from: The Knot Garden (Paperback)
I have just literally finished this book and I found it to be fantastic. I was unsure what to expect as I had assumed King had finished with his cats and wild roads after 'The Wild Road' and 'The Golden Cat'. I was thrilled to discover 'The Knot Garden' continued his feline saga. Be warned, the main characters of this novel are both human and feline and this tale borrows very little from its predecessors. A sinister tale about the power of dreams, threaded with a subtle 'environmental' message, 'The Knot Garden' also deals with reincarnation, family, and for lack of a better word, romance. The characters are nicely understated and, save for one enigmatic old friend, features none of the players from King's previous books. I enjoyed discovering these new personalities in the context of a world we've already been made familiar with. Like the wild roads of the novel, this story has branched the franchise into an exciting and mature new direction. Gabriel King's style has become tighter and his themes more relvant. His language and tone is full and satisfying. I do hope he continues to follow this winning formula. I look forward to the possibility of another installment in the 'Wild Road' series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting development of ideas in the Wild Road, 31 Dec 2001
This review is from: The Knot Garden (Paperback)
I found this an enchanting book, with fresh, interesting ideas which developed some of the themes in The Wild Road and The Golden Cat in a satisfying way without depending on previous characters (apart from the fox). However, I thought the feline characters were more convincing and rounded than the humans, but that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to reading The Nonesuch. The cats' activities could so easily fit in with what cats allow humans to see of their lives and activities, that sometimes the narrative seems like a documentary. The recurring theme in the three books of how humans use animals is deftly handled; thought-provoking without preaching.

5.0 out of 5 stars MARVELOUS!, 26 Nov 2001
This review is from: The Knot Garden (Paperback)
Where can I start?...The cover of the paperback IS misleading, in fact the whole cover of the paperback IS terrible. The hardback cover is much better. Yes it IS about cats, but it is also about people. As the cover blurb says, it is a supernatural love story, one which I think is excellent. How anyone could have trouble reading this amazes me!... If anyone has read THE WILD ROAD or THE GOLDEN CAT, then they will not be disappointed witht this. To anyone with a little imagination and a love of fantasy/horror this book is a goldmine! Read and Enjoy...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, and so grown up!, 9 Mar 2001
This review is from: The Knot Garden (Paperback)
A thrilling, sexy, disturbing story about the past and how, if we're not careful, it refuses to let us change and develop. I loved the humans in this book even more than the cats. Gabriel King has a satisfying and hitherto undisplayed talent for writing about people and their affairs. Anna Prescott is a little confused, a little unsure of herself, but determined to get what she wants from life. What she wants is John Dawe. The problem is that his cousin wants him too. And his cousin isn't quite what she seems. King is always good at locations: but in "Nonesuch", the dilapidated Tudor mansion at the centre of this maze of jealousy and possessiveness, he transcends himself. The house, with its maze-like passageways and peculiar past, entangles all three of them--not to mention Alice the barmaid and Orlando the cat, who have romantic and sexual problems of their own. A statisfyingly Gothic ending and King's usual animal rights message complete this attractive read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellously Magical, 1 Jun 2005
J. Austin "cloudgirl" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knot Garden (Paperback)
I didn't realise when I bought the book that some of the main characters would be cats. The author puts you into the mind of cats and sees and explores the world ostensibly through their eyes. If I had known this I probably wouldn't have bought it but I have to say I am very glad I did and it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I have never read anything by Gabriel King before but I love the way he/she writes.
The aura of mystery and magic is created purrrfectly. If I have one criticism it's that I would have liked slightly less of the cats and and slightly more of the human characters.On a few ocassions when the cats were out on about having supernatural adventures on the wild roads I did flick past the odd page or so because it was getting a bit tedious and I was anxious to find out what was going on with the humans
I will definitely be reading 'Nonesuch'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not quite up to Par, 16 April 2008
gruffler (northumberland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knot Garden (Hardcover)

The theme of animal experimentation is strong - for that I applaud the writers as it can't be said often enough, but the book itself left me disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Knot Garden (Hardcover)
The book itself is great by an excellent author but i was dissapointed to find it was ex library and not in very good condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Original Book, 22 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Knot Garden (Paperback)
Wonderfully written book. I am not a cat owner, but once I got used to the idea of a story written from both the human and feline perspective, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Combines mystery, fantasy, suspense and romance. Very absorbing - a great read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book I have read for a long time!, 8 Nov 2001
This review is from: The Knot Garden (Paperback)
The review on the back cover of this book describes it as a supernatural love story with the focus on a young woman and a couple of cats that appear to adopt her. The front cover claims that Barbara Erskine loved the book, and being a huge fan of Barbara's work I decided to buy 'the knot garden' and settle down for a good read. I could not have made a worst choice - the description on the back cover was completely misleading - I am on page 100 and so far the book has been based mostly around the thoughts/communication between cats which have some strange (and ill described) supernatural experiences. The book is dire! I did not buy this book thinking that it would be written from the points of view of various cats - if the back cover had informed the reader of this is what it would be like I would not have touched it! It is an utterly confusing and unreadable book. I almost always finish what I am reading, but in this case the book is going to the nearest charity shop on my way home tonight!

The Knot Garden
The Knot Garden by Gabriel King (Paperback - 28 July 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01