Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2008
These tales of woe are quite brilliant. I'd heard one read on the radio and had to get the book. HOWEVER, you may notice Amazon offers you a buy together deal with a smarter, hardback book. Their content is the same - pick one!!!
on 14 January 2010
Anyone - adult or child - who hasn't read these gloriously witty and cynical verses is missing a great treat.

I bought this book to replace one that I had when I was a child, and it was with enormous pleasure that I re-read those verses that I hadn't already committed to memory.

I'm too old to learn verse by heart now, but this is a wonderful book for a child whose memory is a sponge, soaking up all sorts of things with the greatest of ease.
on 18 June 2010
I had forgotten this fabulous book, read to me and by me as a child, until a colleague reminded me of Strewelpeter, and it set me thinking of Cautionary Verses, and I ordered it from Amazon. I've since dipped in to it, read it to my chidren and been reminded how much fun - and good advice - there is inside! Gloroius illustrations too. Highly recommended.
on 15 March 2012
Had this book as a child and my copy is falling apart. This poetry book is hilarious but there are important lessons for children to learn such as the consequences from telling lies. I recommend this to read with your children but the language used will need to be explained to younger children.
on 25 August 2012
These poems were written in Victorian and Edwardian time, but they always had fascination to me as a child, Matilda and Eustace particularly. As an older adult I decided to revisit them, and found them on Amazon, and they still hold their charm and fun for me.
on 21 June 2011
I am not into sophisticated poetry but adore anything clever that rhymes. I had this book as a child and read selected poems to my own children but could not find my original copy when I decided to introduce them to the grandchildren. At first I was reciting my favourites from memory, which proved such a hit with the 5 & 6 year olds that I decided to buy another copy. The book still gives me enormous pleasure.
on 4 March 2013
I had this book as a child, now enjoying it all over again reading with my nieces ( and on my own if I'm honest ) One of those books that will never age!!!!
on 27 September 2013
We bought this delightful little book for an ambitiously stretched son, who needed to relax and step away from his busyness for a while, and this did it, as we laughed together at the genius of each cautionary tale. The laughter changes things, relieves tensions and opens so many conversations - quite a healer really - great little book, to be shared and loved.
on 9 February 2013
I was looking for poem that we had to recite in a school performance when I bought this, I have since had many dips into it and many a light moment of escapism, I have also shown some of the moral poems to my boys to chivvy them along with such social niceties that come with this enjoyable book.
on 13 January 2014
I defy anybody not to laugh out loud at these extraordinarily amusing 'Cautionary Tales' written in Belloc's inimitable style.Highly recommended to put a smile on the most doleful countenance.