4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, but Buy together's a con, 12 April 2008
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) (Paperback)
These tales of woe are quite brilliant. I'd heard one read on the radio and had to get the book. HOWEVER, you may notice Amazon offers you a buy together deal with a smarter, hardback book. Their content is the same - pick one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious stuff!, 14 Jan 2010
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) (Paperback)
Anyone - adult or child - who hasn't read these gloriously witty and cynical verses is missing a great treat.

I bought this book to replace one that I had when I was a child, and it was with enormous pleasure that I re-read those verses that I hadn't already committed to memory.

I'm too old to learn verse by heart now, but this is a wonderful book for a child whose memory is a sponge, soaking up all sorts of things with the greatest of ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) (Paperback)
I had this book as a child, now enjoying it all over again reading with my nieces ( and on my own if I'm honest ) One of those books that will never age!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun verses, 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) (Paperback)
These poems were written in Victorian and Edwardian time, but they always had fascination to me as a child, Matilda and Eustace particularly. As an older adult I decided to revisit them, and found them on Amazon, and they still hold their charm and fun for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny with serious undertones, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) (Paperback)
Had this book as a child and my copy is falling apart. This poetry book is hilarious but there are important lessons for children to learn such as the consequences from telling lies. I recommend this to read with your children but the language used will need to be explained to younger children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff!, 18 Jun 2010
S. Paine (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) (Paperback)
I had forgotten this fabulous book, read to me and by me as a child, until a colleague reminded me of Strewelpeter, and it set me thinking of Cautionary Verses, and I ordered it from Amazon. I've since dipped in to it, read it to my chidren and been reminded how much fun - and good advice - there is inside! Gloroius illustrations too. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw caution to the wind and read these poems to your Grandchildren !, 21 Jun 2011
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) (Paperback)
I am not into sophisticated poetry but adore anything clever that rhymes. I had this book as a child and read selected poems to my own children but could not find my original copy when I decided to introduce them to the grandchildren. At first I was reciting my favourites from memory, which proved such a hit with the 5 & 6 year olds that I decided to buy another copy. The book still gives me enormous pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cautionary Verses, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) (Paperback)
I defy anybody not to laugh out loud at these extraordinarily amusing 'Cautionary Tales' written in Belloc's inimitable style.Highly recommended to put a smile on the most doleful countenance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sillyness, laughter and relaxation., 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Hardcover)
We bought this delightful little book for an ambitiously stretched son, who needed to relax and step away from his busyness for a while, and this did it, as we laughed together at the genius of each cautionary tale. The laughter changes things, relieves tensions and opens so many conversations - quite a healer really - great little book, to be shared and loved.

5.0 out of 5 stars A family favourite improved., 22 Jun 2013
Mr. Ronald W. Francis "Ronderbear" (Melton Mowbray. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) (Paperback)
Having enjoyed the original, I was pleased that my son of eight years enjoys reading this expanded version of the book.

Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books)
Cautionary Verses (Red Fox Poetry Books) by Hilaire Belloc (Paperback - 7 Sep 1995)
5.24