5.0 out of 5 stars Gabaldon excells with the continuing saga of Claire & Jamie
For anyone who has read 'Cross stich', there will be hardly any persuasion necessary to encourage you to buy this second book in the series. And now as an audio cassette you can even hear the real scottish burr of Jamie and how on earth to pronounce 'mmmppph' !
Published on 28 Aug 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars they tell a good yarn but when any attempt is made at adding ...
These books are frustrating... they tell a good yarn but when any attempt is made at adding tiny detail to the plot it spouts absolute rubbish that is so annoying. For example, in the first book Claire claims to be able to smell a single clump of clovers at her feet... if she could smell those then she would've been on her back in a dead faint from sensory overload at the...
Published 20 days ago by Nym

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabaldon excells with the continuing saga of Claire & Jamie, 28 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Dragonfly in Amber (Audio CD)
Gabaldon's characters are vivid, real and funny. Claire Fraser is as unconventional a heroine as any normal woman could wish for: big bottomed, strong, intelligent and obstinate.... and Jamie is probably the most beddable Scot other than Ewan McGregor this side of fantasy.
Dragonfly in Amber finds the pair in 18th Century France, taking part in the intrigue and espionage of Versailles.
These books will appeal to anyone who loves history, humour, 18th Century medicine & escaping with a good read. Truely the best stories I have discovered in a long time. Go out and buy them -- it will be the best money you've spent in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again! Amazing, 9 Jun 2005
This review is from: Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) (Paperback)
Yet another absolute gem from Diana Gabaldon. Whatever other mistakes you might make in this life, do NOT be put off by the slightly "Mills & Boony" covers of these books!
I am quite a fussy reader and like books to be well written. This and the other 4 books in this series are without doubt the best I have ever come across and nothing else has quite hit the spot ever since I read them. My copies have been lent to virtually every female friend and relative I have, and they have all bought their own set to read them again.
The characters, especially Claire, Jamie and Lord John are well rounded, interesting, likeable with little quirks and flaws which makes them more human. Jamie, well what can I say. I never thought I would get wobbly-kneed over a ginger, long-haired totally fictitious man in a skirt, but... Afraid to admit my baby son is now called Jamie!
Brianna and Roger are a little disappointing in comparison, but I think this is only because the others are so great.
And to top it all, the epic is set against a wealth of historical events, in various places throughout the world which keeps it fascinating even without the characters.
I cannot recommend this series enough. Only problem is that anything else you ever read afterward will disappoint you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a disappointment, 20 Jan 2008
This review is from: Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) (Paperback)
The first book in this series ("Cross-Stitch" or "Outlander", depending which side of the Atlantic you're on) was rather sheepishly recommended by a friend when I said I needed a "light but intelligent read". I lapped it up, with half my brain telling me it was tosh, but the rest loving every sentence. And the fact is, the book got well under my skin. I even found myself playing around on the internet to see if there were any film versions due (there so should be!!) and, biggest accolade of all, I actually had to discipline myself to read a few other books first, before moving on to "Dragonfly in Amber".

I could hardly wait. Was it a disappointment? Well, curate's egg. In places, yes. But only by Diana Gabaldon's own amazingly high standards.

In this book, we find our heroine, the spunky, brave, outspoken and utterly believable Claire, back in the 20th century. We're not told how or why.. All we know is that she was found wandering and pregnant.. She now has a beautiful 20-year-old daughter, Brianna. Brianna is tall, willowy and has red hair, high cheekbones and blue cat-like eyes.. Ring any bells?? For yes, Brianna is the daughter of the wondrous Jamie Fraser, the hero of the first book, and of this one.

Then, very quickly, we go into flashback. And that, for me, is where the problems start. Claire is once more with Jamie, trying to stop Bonnie Prince Charlie's revolutionary attempts to take the throne of England and Scotland... Because she knows, and has convinced Jamie, that hundreds of his friends and relatives will die in the fateful Battle of Culloden, in 1746. Alas, it's as if the author was so pleased with this idea that she sort of stopped focusing, for a while, on how to achieve it. We have Claire and Jamie in Paris in the mid 1740s, passing the time as successful merchant (a role Jamie handily takes over from a cousin) and his wife, and vaguely trying to influence decisions made by Bonnie Prince C, then also living in Paris. Neat idea. The trouble is, this section drifts on interminably, with details about the minutiae of everyday life (which would normally enthral me), and the inrtoduction of endless characters, some of whom are terrific creations and vital to the plot, but many turn out to be completely irrelevant..
But then, it was as if the author draws a deep breath.. And the old pace picks up and works towards a climax which I found absolutely shattering. For me, it wasn't at the very end, but in the immediate approach to Culloden. For about 50 pages I bawled my eyes out.. But I'm not in the Spoiler business, so I'll leave it at that. Except to say, I don't cry easily!

My other reservation about "Dragonfly in Amber" was simply that the author seems to have fallen too much in love with her hero! I would defy any red-blooded female not to be totally smitten with Jamie Fraser in the first book. But in this, we feel too often like uncomfortable voyeurs as the (rather good!) sex scenes give way to endless descriptions of Jamie's beauty.. I got to the point where I was ready to lob the book across the room if I hit one more adoring description of the sunlight on his fabulous red head -- or body! -- hair.

But these are quibbles. Diana Gabaldon can write, and then some. She sucks us into her stories until we're actually dreaming about them. I started a sneering cynic, and ended a devoted fan. And now I'm back to forcing myself to read other things before starting on the next in the series..

5.0 out of 5 stars A LOVE THAT TRANSCENDS TIME CONTINUES TO RIVET THE READER..., 17 Nov 2002
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) (Paperback)
This is the second in a series of time travel, adventure/romance books by the author. There are five such novels published to date in what is hoped to be a series of six books. These novels have engaged readers everywhere, because of the author's masterful storytelling, as well as for the superlative use of historical detail that is woven into the tapestry in this most intriguing of stories.
While the core of the story is about a love that transcends time, it would be a disservice to label it a romance, as it is much more than that. It is a wonderful adventure story interspersed with actual historical events and authentic period detail. It is this attention to such matters by the skillful pen of the author that renders these books three dimensional and so enjoyable. They are positively addictive!
The love of the ages that binds these books is the love that twentieth century Claire Randall has for the eighteenth century Scottish highland warrior, James Fraser. Those of you who read the first book in the series, "Outlander", know that in 1945, Claire, an Englishwoman and combat nurse during World War II, is reunited with her husband, Frank, after the war. While on a second honeymoon in Scotland, she visits a strange, flat topped hill in the highlands of Scotland, where a forbidding stone circle draws her. Touching one of the stones, she is hurled through a vortex in time and finds herself in eighteenth century Scotland, where she meets a brave and brawny, red headed Scot, James Fraser, with whom she falls completely in love, body and soul. Finding herself thrust into the midst of clan warfare and intrigue, she and her beloved 'Jamie' have enough adventures to last a lifetime, which makes for a riveting story.
This book is a continuation of that story. It is told from the perspective of the twentieth century where Claire, who is now a doctor, has lived for the past twenty years. Upon the death of her twentieth century husband, Frank, Claire returns to Scotland with her grown, red headed daughter, Brianna. There, she discloses to Brianna the events of her secret past, as well as the truth of who Brianna's biological father actually is and of the love that Claire bore him.
While in Scotland, however, Claire discovers something that will forever change her future, as well as her past. You see, for the past twenty years, Claire has believed that her beloved 'Jamie' died in the historic battle of Culloden. It was there that the Scottish highlanders bravely fought the English in a misguided attempt to restore Charles Stuart, their bonny Prince Charlie, to the English throne, only to be decimated and branded as Jacobite traitors. It was this very event that she and James Fraser had conspired to change only to fail. It was this failure that brought Claire and 'Jamie' to a crossroad that would force them to part and have Brianna become a denizen of the twentieth century.
This book continues the saga so deftly begun in "Outlander". It tells the story of what happened in the eighteenth century that ultimately caused Claire to leave the love of her life and return to the twentieth century. It recounts the plight of two star crossed lovers who make a desperate and valiant attempt to change the course of history. It regales the reader with the adventures they encounter along the way. It is a story that transports the reader from the turmoil of the Scottish highlands to the intrigue of the French Court.
Readers will be captivated by this amazing and compelling time travel saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a sticking plaster being slowly removed - a very emotional read!, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) (Paperback)
Carrying on from the first book (Cross Stitch) I was absolutley stunned to realise that we were suddenly in the 1960s and not the 1740s...confusion, and then saddness and then desperate I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED occured. I was driven by a compulsion to find out and found that I read the book very quickly. However, as delightful and diverting as some of the elements of the plot in Dragonfly in Amber are (e.g. France and Louis XIV) I was just desperate to find out what had happened to Claire and Jamie since the end of Cross Sticth. The somewhat happy ending of Cross Sticth is exploded by the plan to alter history and the resulting consequences are simply awful - for Scotland and Jamie and Claire.
I loved this book even though it made me mad. Anyone wanting a happy ever after for Jamie and Claire in this book had better look elsewhere - but my goodness what a read! I was going mad with impatience - what happened and why did it happen were my constant motivators. I was propelled through the novel by a desire to just KNOW - full marks to Gabaldon for captivating the reader though it was almost like slow (pleasurable) torture at times. I knew something bad was brewing and just desperatley wanted it to be out in the open. It was like Gabaldon was skilfully removing a sticking plaster very, very slowly. I was definitley eating out of her hand and was desperate for Jamie and Claire to be together forever and slightly resentful that they have been separated. I was in tears at the end and very emotional.
Gabaldon is a master story teller and her authorative authoral voice is a steady rudder through the choppy seas of Jamie and Claire's relationship. I just wish Gabaldon could have them settling down for a happy ever after in Lallybroch...
After the cliff hanger ending of Dragonfly in Amber I went straight out to get Voyager - my advice is get them together you will HAVE to read Voyager the second you finish Dragonfly in Amber.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, historical fantasy, 15 Mar 2006
L. mckay "brookes_bargain_books" (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) (Paperback)
I am truly loving this series of books. You just get swept along with them. A real page turner.
Although complete fantasy, I love the historical aspects of the story, my one HUGE issue with this book, is the fantasy attached to the geography, this may sound weird, but Gabaldon has been a little lazy in researching this aspect of the book, She states the English army is considering marching North from Perth, when Edinburgh is due south of Perth!, and she seems to be confused with Prestonpans in Scotland (the site of the first battle) and Preston in North England, interchanging the names (i live in central Scotland so know the places she mentions, and it is annoying), I can cope with the liberties taken in history, Gaelic and the Scottish Dialect, but the geography bit annoys me.
Sorry for moaning on, all in all a good story and I cannot wait to read the next instalment in Jamie and Claires saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Jan 2000
This review is from: Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) (Paperback)
This sequel to Cross Stitch is another brilliant book by Diana Gabaldon - yet again she manages to convey the emotions of the characters so well, bringing tears of both sadness and joy to the reader. I just adore these books - sleep deprivation is the only downside as I get so caught up in the story I can't put the book down.
One word of advice though - make sure you already have a copy of Voyager to hand when you finish this book - the ending will leave you desparate for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Curse you Diana Gabaldon for creating such an enigmatic hero, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) (Paperback)
Diana Gabaldon – curse you for creating a character such as James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser. For engaging me so fully in your novels that I’d happily spend all night long reading just to see what happens next to our hero and the wonderful heroine Claire.

This is the second book in Gabaldon’s Outlander series and begins in 1968 in Inverness with Claire Randall and her daughter Brianna coming to Scotland to find out the fate of a group of men who are suspected to have died in the battle of Culloden.

Seeking the help of the adopted son of her old friend she appears to hold many secrets and Roger soon begins to wonder how she seems to know so much about the battle of 1745 and the men she seeks to trace.

Stumbling across the grave of a James Fraser in a small churchyard far from the battlefield of Culloden she breaks down and tells her daughter that the grave of this highlander is that of her father, a man she believes dies in the battle of Culloden over 300 years before.

The rest of the book sweeps us back to the time when Outlander book one ended with Jamie and Claire in France setting out to try desperately to stop the advance of Bonnie Prince Harlie And the eventual battle he will lead his fated troops to at Culloden. Sweeping through the court of King Louis of France and the Palace of Versailles it sweeps from France back to the shores of Scotland as we follow Jamie and Claire as they desperately try to thwart the advance of Charles army.

This was a wonderful novel, taking place initially in a very different place setting to that of book one we get to see James and Claire as they mingle in the upper echelons of Paris society, but that doesn’t mean it is filled with any less danger or superstition than the Scottish Highlands.

Many of the amazing characters from the first book feature again and perhaps I may be alone in letting out a little whoop of joy when characters such as Dougal and Collum Mackenzie made their appearances, so engaging were they. Also returning in this book is the villain Jack Randall, although maybe I am alone in beginning to find something a little endearing about the man.

Gabaldon has done a quite wonderful thing, she has created a book based on the concept of time travel and made it into a sweeping and wonderful love story. I was utterly engaged with this book immediately and found it really nice to read about the battles which took place right next to where I myself live in Falkirk. Reading about the stationing of English troops in Callendar House, our closest sizeable historic manor and park.

I am most likely not the only person who would rather love the prospect of finding themselves wishing for the opportunity to escape through a circle of standing stones into the arms of a hunky, sexy Scottish red head dressed in full highland dress. I live in Scotland and even I’d go for that. A visit to find out if Craig Na Dun exists is high on my agenda.

Of course this book again ended on a cliffhanger just trying desperately to draw us into the next book. I am so very tempted to dive straight in but am going to force myself to take a break for fear that any more heroics from one Mr Fraser may drive me to Inverness post haste in search of those standing stones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give it more stars, 17 Sep 2007
M. Lugg "bookworm" (Helston, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) (Paperback)
I have just recently re-read this book, the second in the series, and what a delight it is to join up with Jamie and Claire Fraser again, like meeting old friends! Diana Gabaldon's books in this series are just so amazing I cannot begin to describe how incredible and compulsive these books are.

If you haven't read any before, start with the first in the series which is Cross Stitch and I'm sure you won't be disappointed and you'll feel the need to buy the rest in the series because you just have to join Claire and Jamies on their amazing adventures.

4.0 out of 5 stars These are the best books I have ever read!!!, 28 Feb 2001
This review is from: Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) (Paperback)
I am a 17 year old girl who does not have much time to read, but I find time for this book. At first, I didn't understand everything, but now I understand who was fighting for who, etc. This series is the best I have ever read and I am only on the second book. I encourage people to get out there and read this series because you will never read another like it. Thank you, Diana, for capturing my heart with Jamie and Claire!

Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2)
Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2) by Diana Gabaldon (Paperback - 3 Mar 1994)