4.0 out of 5 stars Deals clearly with its subject, but.....
Explaining superstring theory to the lay reader is a massive task. Not only does Greene achieve this task with amazing clarity and vision he takes the reader through an introduction to quantum theory and general relativity (as well as some of their extensions) on the way.
Published on 5 Oct 2000 by Peter Dzwig

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks criticality. Good book nontheless.
This is a prime example of the notoriety gained by string theorists for overblowing the results of their theory. The claims in 'The Elegant Universe' maybe true, and if they are, I will be the happiest person in the world.
Published on 30 July 2005 by Andrew James Pearson

4.0 out of 5 stars Deals clearly with its subject, but....., 5 Oct 2000
Peter Dzwig (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory (Paperback)
This has to be one of the best written science books of recent years. I hasten not to add the word "popular" in case would-be readers imagine that this is a book for beginners, which it is not. If you have a scientific background you will find this book both accessible and exciting.
On the downside Greene explains superstring theory as if it has to be the Grail of the quest for a Grand Unified Theory. He could have done a lot more to explain that superstrings are not necessarily the only route to such a theory and that there are other interesting and elegant theories, too. But then Greene himself is a major player in superstring theory and one who has made significant contributions to the field. Superstrings are a theoretical concept which far from being proven, add a great deal of complexity without producing too much in the way of experimental evidence to support the model. But - and this is a big but - they do offer at least one unifying theory. Whether or not it is the only (or perhaps most elegant) approach capable of achieving that goal time alone will tell.
Definitely recommended for readers with some background.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Hawking's Book, 18 April 2001
G. ADAIR - See all my reviews
I read Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time - Illustrated Edition" last year, and enjoyed it up to a point, that point being quantum mechanics, at which juncture I lost plot entirely. Some months later I regrouped and struggled on to the end. (Of course, the stuff about black holes was fascinating, as you'd expect from a Hawking book).
And so this year I chose "The Elegant Universe" as the next instalment of my quest to keep 'tuned-in' with physics and cosmology.
Different class, mate.
The first third of the book explains the current pillars of modern physics - Einsteins Special & General Relativity, Newton's Gravity, Quantum Physics, and the incompatibilities between them - and I have to say I learned more from those hundred pages than from Stephen Hawking's entire book. Brian Greene has what Hawking lacks - the ability to TEACH, not just tell.
I write speculative fiction as a hobby, and when I read a book such as this I tend to fold down the corners of pages which contain some interesting idea or other that I fancy turning into a story; I must have folded down every second page, such is Greene's verve for bringing home the wonder (and sometimes the absurdity) of nature's laws as we currently understand them.
The middle chunk of the book explains how String Theory could unite the inconsistencies of such laws, and Greene does a sterling job of explaining (to a semi-layman such as myself) the whats, hows, whens, wheres and whys.
And then we really got down to business; the last chunk delves into quantum geometry, the finer points of 'Calibi-Yau shapes' and other abstract concepts, and at this point I began to lose my grip on reality. Nevertheless, Greene has structured the book such that the reader can skip chapters that bore/confuse/both without losing the thread of the book entirely. And as such I made it to the end after all.
I'm no scientist or mathematician, just a bloke who's fascinated by physics and cosmology from an everyday standpoint and who has a thirst for knowledge. If you're the same, this book will quench it admirably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relativity, Quantum Mechanics and strings. It's got the lot., 4 Jun 2000
By A Customer
I purchased "The Elegant Universe" on recommendation from my PhD studying brother. Since then it has won the Aventis Prize for Science. Brian Greene's lucid writing style instils into the reader a good understanding of the basic concepts of Einstein's relativity and Quantum Mechanics. The author then builds upon this in such a way that the reader can begin to understand the subtle differences between the two theories and appreciate the need for a more fundamental theory, strings in this case.
A fine explanation of string theory then follows which left me absolutely amazed that a book could so clearly and succinctly explain to me the foundations of one of the most complex theories ever attempted in science. Indeed, this book is so well written that my interest in popular science and the progress of string theory is now greater than ever.
I have read a lot of popular science books based on physics and cosmology, but not has ever left me quite so fulfilled and happy with the tricky concepts involved as this one. A truly fine work. Now that I have finished this book, I can't wait for the scientists to finalise string theory so Brian can write the sequel!

4.0 out of 5 stars Faith Is Evidence Of Things Not Seen, 29 Sep 2009
I think the title is a big misnomer. Unlike Carlos Calle's "Superstrings and Other Things" this book is about string theory though I'm not sure "theory" is a deserving adjective and perhaps "concept" or "conjecture" might be more apt. The first third of the book is beautiful - Greene's explanation of relativity really got me on a high. The problem starts when he posits string theory as the beginning of the theory of everything, the theory "nature" demands we "must" use to answer all existential questions or at least something to that effect. Given that strings are these incredibly small things (close to a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a metre) that there is virtually no hope we can ever detect them that's a lot of faith Greene demands. But faith he demands nonetheless because the mathematics is so beautiful. This smacks of religion.

In string theory there could be as many as 11 spacetime dimensions because this is what is required to make the mathematics work. The mathematics embodies very complex structures like Calabri-Yau shapes that cannot be imagined or experienced because they are outside our 3 dimensional ken and anyway are so tiny we can't detect them. How do the physicists know they are there then? My reading is that since we can't disprove their existence that means they are likely to be there. It's like just because you think your dreams are real when you are having them they must be real. I just couldn't get rid of the idea that string theorists were just making things up, devising complex mathematics and models to fit the results much like accountants cook the books so they can report a predetermined profit figure. I thought science was about demonstrable repeatable experiments. The beauty of Einstein's time dilation for example is that it has been proven (I think). I suppose the proof will be (or not as the case may be) in the pudding for string theory. Until then, give me no religion.

But four stars nevertheless because Greene knows his stuff and writes well.

4.0 out of 5 stars A highly readable up to the minute account of superstrings., 21 April 1999
By A Customer
Having just read the first customer review of this book I thought that I should offer my own reactions as a counterbalance. I thought the book was EXCELLENT and I found it hard to put down. It is the most up to date laymans account of where we are with superstrings that I am aware of and if Brian Greene is right then the world is poised on the brink of discovering the ultimate theory - the Theory of Everything. The book has, in my opinion, a very appropriate title as Brian Greene manages to convey something of the awesome beauty of the nature of the Universe and how neatly it appears to be constructed. In spite of the fact that mathematical treatments and explanations are entirely avoided, the book is quite hard to follow in some places. However, I still found it very exciting and thought provoking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks criticality. Good book nontheless., 30 July 2005
At the moment however, there is no reason to believe this. Some of the so-called 'successes' of string theory are debatable at best, others may well be mathematical coincidences, and of course, you can never get past the fact that there is no experimental evidence of strings whatsoever. Moreover, string theory is part of a class of theories increasing in number that are decidedly 'Un-Popperian' (i.e. unfalsifiable), simply because many of the predicted effects of the theory are at energies way beyond anything we are likely to measure.
The problem with Brian Greene's book is that it mentions none of this. It is not at all critical of the theory. At best, it talks of String Theory as the 'only game in town' (The most popular game yes, but certainly not the only one), and at worst, it talks of String Theory as if it has been proven already! This is not what I expect of a science book; even one designed for the layman.
Having said all this, the book was enjoyable to read - I even read the followup. By all means, buy it and read it, and you will have a good time I assure you. For an objective view of the future of research in theoretical physics however, 'The Road to Reality' by Roger Penrose is a much much better book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most lucid account of theoretical physics, 21 July 2002
Its a book that puts "a brief history of time" to shame. Brilliantly written, with examples that shed light on general theory of relativity, quantam mechanics & geometry and strings. Equations, if you're interested, are available in the end notes.
This book was recommended by a friend, after I found that the brief history of time was such a dissapointing read. Now I would definitely rate "The Elegant Universe" as a benchmark on how such a difficult subject can be handled with such clarity

4.0 out of 5 stars mostly lucid, but gets beyond me in places, 15 Oct 2002
ab..c (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This professor is one of the leading lights of physics and his command of lucid narrative is a boon. His description of theory of special and general relativity was the best ever encountered.
I followed the main explanation about quantum mechanics that was also excellently delivered, but as science gets towards the edges of known knowledge and covers string theory, it gets hard to keep all the facts in your head at the same time. You may need to read it more than once to follow it all. If you can follow all this your doing better than me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning journey from relativity to M-theory, 14 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Starting with the basics of relativity and gently leading you through the maze of quantum mechanics, this book eloquently lays out the power of string theory and M-theory in terms perfect for the lay reader. I've never read such a fascinating and well-written account of modern theoretical physics. It was with regret that I read the last page. A gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 5 Jun 2002
By A Customer
At the time of writing this is (as far as I can determine) the only up-to-date and accessible material on the step beyond Strings - M-Theory.
It is brilliantly written. Even with a Degree in Astrophysics I found the non-mathematical reworking of both Relativity and Quantum Mechanics most refreshing - if only this had been around for us to read back then!
I heartily recommend this book to everyone who has any interest in the nature of the universe. You can dip your toe and get a feel for the ideas or you can read Chapter 12, brush up your n-dimensional geometry and head off into the Bibliography of graduate level texts.
A wonderful read.