5.0 out of 5 stars Living in an Italian town
I thoroughly enjoyed reading his book, it is always nice to know how foreigners see you! Tim Parks is a good observer and gives you plenty of details on his surprise at some of the Italian ways.
Things have changed a bit, though, as the book was written some 15 years ago and we changed a lot in politics and way of living, even if the typical characters are still...
Published on 25 Mar. 2003 by Matiqua

3.0 out of 5 stars Tries to be realistic, but is sometimes just cynical
Tim Parks has a habit of writing on subjects I'm fascinated by - Italy, football, education - so it's a bit odd that I tend to find his books hard-going and uninspiring. A Season in Verona seemed to me the work of a man who had no real enthusiasm for football, and Italian Neighbours reads like the diatribe of a bitter foreigner against a Veneto suburb and its...
Published on 25 Aug. 2008 by Romanista

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite an interesting but weird Read, 10 Aug. 2013
D. Collard-Berry (West Sussex/Surrey/Hants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona (Paperback)
not a travel book or a novel. Almost an account of every day life on what happens i.e. how to drink coffee & not pay your taxes. Characters are well drawn.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona (Paperback)
as I am also living abroad, this is a timeless book. I recognize most of the silly mishaps like we have here. ll is true and sometimes hilareous!

3.0 out of 5 stars L'Italiano vero?, 12 Jun. 2013
John Fitzpatrick (São Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona (Paperback)
This is a refreshing change from the usual tale of the well-heeled Englishman who finds an idyllic spot in a sunny clime, moves there and proceeds to lampoon the locals who are usually an odd bunch with funny foreign habits but deep down they are as loyal as a golden Labrador and love to be patted on the head by their English milord when they do something right.

For a start, Parks was married to an Italian woman and moved to a small town in the north, near Verona, where he worked as a teacher and translator.

He was to all intent and purposes a member of the community and certainly not rich.

Therefore, it is a book that is unlikely to appeal to fans of Peter Mayle and his kind.

Having said that, Parks cannot resist presenting the neighbors as foreigners with strange habits and mannerisms, as though the English were renowned for their lack of eccentricity.

I wonder what Italians living in England think of their English neighbors.

Still, he speaks the language, gets on with them and basically gives us a Year in North Italy that is a million times better than Peter Mayles' insufferable "Year in Provence".

On the other hand, Parks does not do much during this year (except become a father at the end) and his descriptions of life in Italy are a bit mundane.

He tackles subjects such as bureaucracy, tax evasion, the political stalemate, role of the Catholic Church, lousy television etc but so what?

I go along with much of what he says because I live in a similar culture with many of the same attitudes that drive a northern European crazy at times but other than that I found little of real interest in this rather insipid work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and affectionate, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona (Paperback)
Probably the best and most entertaining expose of Italian life and culture that I have ever read. Tim Parks is an author I'll read again

3.0 out of 5 stars not my cup of tea, 14 Dec. 2009
travel freak (Munich,Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona (Paperback)
After reading all those grat reviews- I was really disappointed when I strated reading the book myself..I cant's say it's bad- I just dont like his style-nor the way he describes the Italian people- like some kind of freak show.
It makes them look so bad - quite contrary to my own experience of Italians..I really asked myself why does he live there at all- if everything is so bad/strange/caotic ???

This was a first book in a long while I did not bother finishing at all..but dont be put off - its a matter of taste- Parks is still a skilled writer....

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommended, 22 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona (Paperback)
Has the ability to take you right into the Italian mind set. Thoroughly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars ... learning Italian and find the book interesting and quite funny., 7 Jan. 2015
I have been learning Italian and find the book interesting and quite funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth reading at least twice, 28 Sept. 2014
C. J. Driver "Jonty" (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Hilarious - and brilliantly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Dec. 2014
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona (Paperback)
This was bought as a gift, arrived quickly and in excellant condition so would certainly buy from this sellar again.

Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona
Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona by Tim Parks (Paperback - 3 May 2001)