5.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory reading for meat-eaters!
I read this in 2007 and it truly changed my life. I became a vegetarian overnight and a passionate animal rights advocate.

Published on 26 Jan 2009 by Jack Hobartson

2.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic
Published on 15 April 2011 by A man

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory reading for meat-eaters!, 26 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Pig Who Sang To The Moon (Paperback)

I should add that I had no intention of becoming a vegetarian when I bought this book. I'd read a number of books about animal emotions and thought this would be another interesting addition to my collection but the information here was, for me, earth-shattering and truly heart-breaking.

It's well written and superbly researched, containing specific chapters about pigs, chickens, sheep, cows and ducks.

The author's views are uncompromising but should we deny the truths presented in this book that farmed animals, despite not one
second of a natural existence throughout their short unbearable lives, are still emotional, thinking, loving creatures that don't deserve the indignities, the torture, the abominable slaughter heaped upon them for the sake of man's greed?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, interesting, charming, 26 July 2010
This review is from: The Pig Who Sang To The Moon (Paperback)
I really love this book. After reading it, you can no longer ignore that uncomfortable truth that lies behind your meals. I am a vegan and I have read a lot of books about animals. This book provided me more insight, which lead me to a deeper understanding.

Also, Jeffrey Masson's books are never boring, and this one is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute delight, 12 Nov 2012
I had heard about this book from a number of people so knew it was going to be my kind of read. Now that I have read it, I can honestly say that it's currently my favourite book.

Jeffrey Masson has a big heart which is full of love and compassion for our fellow beings. Here he tells us of the emotional lives of farm animals - animals we hardly notice as we drive past them in the countryside. He demonstrates, with example after example, how these beautiful sentient creatures are not "things" for our consumption or our greed. They have real feelings, just as we do, for their friends and, especially for their babies. There can exist no human mother who cherishes her babies more than the wonderful, gentle cow. When the cruel farmer snatches her baby away from her soon after birth, in order that humans can have her milk instead of her calf, she cries, sometimes for days, looking for her calf. If the calf is a male, he is usually shot or sent off in a veal crate. Similarly with the sheep. Her baby ends up on your plate as a leg of lamb. Again, pigs, are loving mothers who are not allowed to provide that love for their babies.

Masson includes ducks, geese and goats in this beautifully written eulogy to our cousins in fur and feathers, Read it; enjoy it and take heed of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Pig Who Sang To The Moon (Paperback)
This book is truely amazing. It will make you cry and make you smile but most of all it will make your heart ache at the cruelty in the world towards animals

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 13 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Pig Who Sang To The Moon (Paperback)
A thought provoking book that reconfirmed my belief in the strength of animal emotions. If you don't believe me...read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A bittersweet read, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Pig Who Sang To The Moon (Paperback)
This is a very sad read because we realise just how much alike humans animals actually are. I get annoyed when scientists and the like say that we shouldn't anthropomorphise animals by describing them as having human emotions - it's hugely arrogant of humans to assume that we are the only species capable of feeling such a range of emotions and that another animal isn't every bit as capable of feeling sad, happy, lonely, scared etc. You only have to spend time with a dog to see just how many emotions other animals have, just like us. More people should read this book if only to wake up to the fact that we are not the superior species we think we are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farm animals are living beings not units/commodities, 11 Feb 2014
We tend to have compassion when it comes to companion animals, but spare a thought for so-called "livestock." It's worth commenting that the word "cattle" comes from "chattel" which referred to women,children and objects,as well as animals. They were seen as objects, we have moved on with regards to women and children,but what about the other living beings?

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 1 July 2014
This review is from: The Pig Who Sang To The Moon (Paperback)
Books like this should really be compulsory reading for all school children who might then, as adults, have some sort of understanding of the misery suffered by farm animals - I won't go into it - for either you are an individual who cares about the suffering of animals or you are not - if you are then this is a good book to add to your collection - you will cry when you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING BOOK, 9 July 2006
This review is from: The Pig Who Sang To The Moon (Paperback)
This is deffinatly a book for you if you are either Vegan/Vegetarian or you absolutly love animals...

It stirs such emotion inside of you, both happy and sad...

it's a shame what we do to the animals and this book seems tot let you know what we do to them, it's very sad.

Animals are wonderful creatures, it's wonderful to see inside of their minds through Jefferroy Masson.

Wonderful book !!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic, 15 April 2011
This review is from: The Pig Who Sang To The Moon (Paperback)
I read this book with increasing frustration at the author's fairytale hope of a world where not only are farmyard animals no longer eaten, they coexist happily with humans, while living in conditions indiscernible from those of their forebears. Really? Who would feed them? Why? What would their purpose be? To suggest the one desire of such creatures is to return to 'natural conditions', and the one desire of humans should be to provide those conditions, is patently absurd. Their current contract with humans is certainly one sided; but the one major element Jeffrey Masson wholly fails to address in his book is what animals get in return - namely, food and shelter, and with it, escape from the battle for survival, at least in the short term.

In most modern societies, humans have much the same contract with themselves. Essentially, we have sold our souls for a measure of security. However, any suggestion we would be happier in our original, uncivilised state, is absurd, to all but survival cranks.

Having kept pigs, and killed and eaten them, I think I am qualified to say that it is perfectly possible to ensure complete happiness for such animals, with very little effort, and moderate expense, right up till the day they die; but that it is very difficult to do this on a commercial scale, if other 'producers' are not doing the same, since a major requirement is sufficient space in which to operate. Land is scarce, and idle land, such as pigs might enjoy living on, comes with a cost.

As, indeed, it does for us, with our often cramped living conditions and less than ideal outdoor spaces; but that doesn't mean we should return to living in caves, gnawing on what plant foods we can find.

Certainly, more compassion is needed, less brutality; but is it really better that animals don't exist than that we should kill them?

This book makes some good points but a lot of very bad ones.

The Pig Who Sang To The Moon
The Pig Who Sang To The Moon by Jeffrey Masson (Paperback - 6 Jan 2005)
6.99