5.0 out of 5 stars A hard but satisfying read
Published on 16 Feb 2002 by Mr. J. Holroyd

3.0 out of 5 stars IT was o.k.
This is the first book by Chuck that I have read and I wasn't sure what to think. The book was interesting and annoying at the same time as plot twists showed that no one is who/what they seem. *shrug* Not the worst book I've ever read, not the best. But it was "good enough", I guess, since I'm now reading Fight Club.
Published on 4 Sep 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A hard but satisfying read, 16 Feb 2002
Mr. J. Holroyd (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
When I picked this book up, I thought that it would be good. Chuck's work is usualy better than the median, but I was suprised by just how good it was. Without giving away any of the plot details, this book focus' upon the modern day obsessions with beauty and fashion, its origins and consequences, it is the picture of a person trapped by these obsessions and desperate to escape. The book takes you on a merry go round ride switching between past and present constantly keeping you guessing as to what will happen next as the protagonist attempts to make sense of her life. Mid way through I thought I had this story by the tail, but found that I was very wrong.
A strong book from a strong author.
Be warned Invisible Monsters is not for the faint haearted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chuck's done it again, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
I read my first Palahniuk book at the beginning of the year and have read several others since. Admittedly I set the bar quite high starting with Fight Club, but have found something to love in every book of his since. Invisible Monsters is another dive-bomb into interesting characters and storylines, combining to make an interesting and fun read. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book as starting point for new Palahniuk readers, although it is a great example of his style and characterisation. Well worth a read if you want a bit of an eye-opener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wacked out and fun, 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
If you're new to Chuck Palahniuk's work, might I suggest that you read some of the reviews and even do some online research before diving right into his work, the reason being that he is unlike any other author. The phrase "pulls no punches" comes to mind. I read somewhere that this was actually Mr. Palahniuk's first novel, but that it had been rejected by publishers because it was too out there, too violent, and too weird. As a result he wrote FIGHT CLUB, which has since become a classic of the underground sort, and publishers flocked to pick up INVISIBLE MONSTERS. Now Mr. Palahniuk has several books under his belt, and this is by far one of the better ones.

The story of a fashion model gone wrong, the author uses fashion lingo and punches up the story with brilliant writing techniques that really give you at once a feeling of the vapidity of the industry, the falseness, and also the underlying problems, both emotional and physical. This is not a hard book to read, but, like most books, it took me a chapter or two to get into the flow and style. Once there I had no problem folliwing what was coming, though there are surprises galore in this tawdry and fantantasic tale. Everyone in the book is a mess, but the author somehow gets us to like and follow them through this labyrinth of weirdness.

The book has an almost hallucinatory feel, reminding me of THE ELECTRIC KOOLAID TEST, or even some of Burrough's works---NAKED LUNCH comes to mind, though INVISIBLE MONSTERS makes more sense and is more fun. I would recommend this book to those who have a warped sense of humor and who are not easily offended, along with Sedaris's works (ME TALK PRETTY) and those of Christopher Moore.

My only hesitation with recommending this book is that there is one scene, one description of a sexual act that I hope is not frequently performed, and this was the only part that really turned me off. Other than that, it was a wild ride of a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars The only word i can think of is "original"., 10 April 2002
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
I have sat for ages here trying to begin describing this book, and the only word that comes to mind is "original".

I discovered Palahnuik's novels after seeing the film of Fight Club, loving it and then looking up the book. I really liked that too so i bought this. Invisible Monsters seems at first the feminine equivalent of Fight Club- a study of the frustrations of being a woman in modern America; this is a gross oversimplification but its not a bad place to start.
If you liked Fight Club then get this. If you haven't read/seen Fight Club then still try it anyway, but only if you can cope with reading something dark and challenging. Monsters first comes across as just another psycho-roadtrip story, but veers and twists into places you can't imagine. Funnier than Fight Club and lighter (though only just!), but perhaps even more challenging.
Try it, and even if you find it disturbing, stick to the end. Invisible Monsters is one of those rare things: an original story.

5.0 out of 5 stars chuck does it again, this guy is a genius!, 6 Mar 2000
By A Customer
I was quite excited about reading this as I am a bit of a fan of chuck paluniuk and I wasn't dissapointed.
As with fight club I read it over 2 days, it's not so much of a page turner as his first novel but riviting non the less.
I totally agree with one of the other reviewers in that because it's written in his unique style, it is hard to visualise a different character from that of FC or survivor. Especially as the main character is a woman. At first it was hard not to imagine Ed Norton in drag :) but the fact she has no face helps a little!
I love the way it 'jumps' from one scene to another, and from one flashback to another, and as usual the way he ties everything up is fantastic.
Nice one chuck, thanks for not dissapointing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Think 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' on Acid., 3 Jun 2000
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
Blackly comic, and containing more twists than I can mention, 'Invisible Monsters' is great fun to read. Focussing, as he did in 'Fight Club' and 'Survivor' on the exploration of identity within society, Chuck Palahniuk again takes his readers to the dark and twisted flipside of reality. From sex changes, to plastic surgery, to rape, to kidnapping, 'Invisible Monsters' disgusts and provokes, but also riotously enteratains. It may not be as good as 'Survivor' (5 stars), but it is better than 'Fight Club' (4 stars) (which I thought was surpassed by the film - a rare occurence, I know). Roll on the next one - I can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning read, 10 May 2006
M. S. Dodd "crazy_him_chick" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
After having had this book reccomended to me, i decided to give it a read.

Like many of Palaniuk's books, the story starts from the end. This only makes the read more gripping as you already know the ending sequence. He builds up beleiveable characters that you can empathize with in sometimes wacky situations.

The book can be a little difficult to understand in some parts as the tense changes many times in the book. It jumps to different situations and then back again repeatedly. This becomes easier to get to grips with through the book.

The finale of the book is worth waiting for. The story unfolds and an unexpected twist is revealed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invisible Monsters will get in your head ..., 26 May 2002
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
Chuck does it again! - Starting Invisible Monsters was like watching a David Lynch film but things do fall into place. The, by now, common themes of self (or should that be selves?) and of questioning inherited structure, including family, are again presented by beautiful flaw-full characters and his usual wonderfully incisive social commentary including ewh type head screws. I love this guy - he is so playing the game!

5.0 out of 5 stars see through good, 1 Nov 2007
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
i was so impressed by this book that i will now be reading everything Chuck Palahniuk wrote. He's now one of my favorite writers, along with Christopher Moore and Jackson McCrae.

"Invisible Monsters" is a really twisted work that everyone should read. You WILL be put off by some of the humor and references to sex, but that's part of Palahniuk's deal. I can tell you, even if you don't like some of the sections in this book, the coming together at the end makes up for it.

The basic idea of the book is about a fashion model who has become disfigured. Palahniuk uses fashion-type references throughout and the word "Flash!" to denote the fashion world or the remnants of it. A truly well thought out book from cover to cover. I would also recommend the Christopher Moore book "Practical Demon Keeping" and the McCRae "Katzenjammer" for other equally entertaining reads.

3.0 out of 5 stars IT was o.k., 4 Sep 1999

Invisible Monsters
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk (Paperback - 2 Nov 2000)
6.29