5.0 out of 5 stars A hard but satisfying read

Published on 29 Aug 2006 by J.R.Hartley

5.0 out of 5 stars A hard but satisfying read, 16 Feb 2002
Mr. J. Holroyd (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
When I picked this book up, I thought that it would be good. Chuck's work is usualy better than the median, but I was suprised by just how good it was. Without giving away any of the plot details, this book focus' upon the modern day obsessions with beauty and fashion, its origins and consequences, it is the picture of a person trapped by these obsessions and desperate to escape. The book takes you on a merry go round ride switching between past and present constantly keeping you guessing as to what will happen next as the protagonist attempts to make sense of her life. Mid way through I thought I had this story by the tail, but found that I was very wrong.
A strong book from a strong author.
Be warned Invisible Monsters is not for the faint haearted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chuck's done it again, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
I read my first Palahniuk book at the beginning of the year and have read several others since. Admittedly I set the bar quite high starting with Fight Club, but have found something to love in every book of his since. Invisible Monsters is another dive-bomb into interesting characters and storylines, combining to make an interesting and fun read. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book as starting point for new Palahniuk readers, although it is a great example of his style and characterisation. Well worth a read if you want a bit of an eye-opener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wacked out and fun, 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
If you're new to Chuck Palahniuk's work, might I suggest that you read some of the reviews and even do some online research before diving right into his work, the reason being that he is unlike any other author. The phrase "pulls no punches" comes to mind. I read somewhere that this was actually Mr. Palahniuk's first novel, but that it had been rejected by publishers because it was too out there, too violent, and too weird. As a result he wrote FIGHT CLUB, which has since become a classic of the underground sort, and publishers flocked to pick up INVISIBLE MONSTERS. Now Mr. Palahniuk has several books under his belt, and this is by far one of the better ones.

The story of a fashion model gone wrong, the author uses fashion lingo and punches up the story with brilliant writing techniques that really give you at once a feeling of the vapidity of the industry, the falseness, and also the underlying problems, both emotional and physical. This is not a hard book to read, but, like most books, it took me a chapter or two to get into the flow and style. Once there I had no problem folliwing what was coming, though there are surprises galore in this tawdry and fantantasic tale. Everyone in the book is a mess, but the author somehow gets us to like and follow them through this labyrinth of weirdness.

The book has an almost hallucinatory feel, reminding me of THE ELECTRIC KOOLAID TEST, or even some of Burrough's works---NAKED LUNCH comes to mind, though INVISIBLE MONSTERS makes more sense and is more fun. I would recommend this book to those who have a warped sense of humor and who are not easily offended, along with Sedaris's works (ME TALK PRETTY) and those of Christopher Moore.

My only hesitation with recommending this book is that there is one scene, one description of a sexual act that I hope is not frequently performed, and this was the only part that really turned me off. Other than that, it was a wild ride of a time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning read, 10 May 2006
M. S. Dodd "crazy_him_chick" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
After having had this book reccomended to me, i decided to give it a read.

Like many of Palaniuk's books, the story starts from the end. This only makes the read more gripping as you already know the ending sequence. He builds up beleiveable characters that you can empathize with in sometimes wacky situations.

The book can be a little difficult to understand in some parts as the tense changes many times in the book. It jumps to different situations and then back again repeatedly. This becomes easier to get to grips with through the book.

The finale of the book is worth waiting for. The story unfolds and an unexpected twist is revealed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fight Club for girls, 27 Feb 2004
R. J. Cotton (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
I've read pretty much everything by Chuck, and the fact that a lot of people regard this as his weakest book surprises me. Although I'd have to rate Choke as his finest work, this comes a close second. It's not as radical as some of the other works, but the cut-up style keeps the story's rhythm going, and it has a much higher twist-per-page ratio than most of others. Actually, it has a much higher twist per page count than practically any other book. The themes are a lot more girly than the other books - fashion, bitchiness and wanting to be beautiful etc. It's basically a potboiler remixed into Chuck's unique style.

4.0 out of 5 stars The only word i can think of is "original"., 10 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
I have sat for ages here trying to begin describing this book, and the only word that comes to mind is "original".

I discovered Palahnuik's novels after seeing the film of Fight Club, loving it and then looking up the book. I really liked that too so i bought this. Invisible Monsters seems at first the feminine equivalent of Fight Club- a study of the frustrations of being a woman in modern America; this is a gross oversimplification but its not a bad place to start.
If you liked Fight Club then get this. If you haven't read/seen Fight Club then still try it anyway, but only if you can cope with reading something dark and challenging. Monsters first comes across as just another psycho-roadtrip story, but veers and twists into places you can't imagine. Funnier than Fight Club and lighter (though only just!), but perhaps even more challenging.
Try it, and even if you find it disturbing, stick to the end. Invisible Monsters is one of those rare things: an original story.

5.0 out of 5 stars see through good, 1 Nov 2007
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
i was so impressed by this book that i will now be reading everything Chuck Palahniuk wrote. He's now one of my favorite writers, along with Christopher Moore and Jackson McCrae.

"Invisible Monsters" is a really twisted work that everyone should read. You WILL be put off by some of the humor and references to sex, but that's part of Palahniuk's deal. I can tell you, even if you don't like some of the sections in this book, the coming together at the end makes up for it.

The basic idea of the book is about a fashion model who has become disfigured. Palahniuk uses fashion-type references throughout and the word "Flash!" to denote the fashion world or the remnants of it. A truly well thought out book from cover to cover. I would also recommend the Christopher Moore book "Practical Demon Keeping" and the McCRae "Katzenjammer" for other equally entertaining reads.

3.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, 29 Aug 2006
J.R.Hartley (NW England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
This is not an easy book to get into and not at all what I expected. I had never read a Chuck Palahniuk book before but impressed with recommendations from friends who had raved about fight club, I thought I'd give this a whirl when I saw it in my local book shop despite the premise of a tale of disfigured models and drag queens on a road trip to hell and back. The quality of the writing is undoubted and the plot twists and turns to the big finale, but some of the "twists" are obvious from quite early on and I found all of the characters to be thoroughly unpleasant. As such, I didn't give a damn about any of them and this book did not inspire me to stay up late wanting to read just one more chapter to see what happened next. Less than 300 pages long but it took me an age to plod through it. Hate to say it, but this book has put me off reading any of his others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Think 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' on Acid., 3 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
Blackly comic, and containing more twists than I can mention, 'Invisible Monsters' is great fun to read. Focussing, as he did in 'Fight Club' and 'Survivor' on the exploration of identity within society, Chuck Palahniuk again takes his readers to the dark and twisted flipside of reality. From sex changes, to plastic surgery, to rape, to kidnapping, 'Invisible Monsters' disgusts and provokes, but also riotously enteratains. It may not be as good as 'Survivor' (5 stars), but it is better than 'Fight Club' (4 stars) (which I thought was surpassed by the film - a rare occurence, I know). Roll on the next one - I can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Through a Glass Darkley, 6 July 2014
A very absorbing but disturbing book. A look at the world of the beautiful people through a dark glass. I will be reading more written by this Author

Invisible Monsters
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk (Paperback - 2 Nov 2000)
6.20