4.0 out of 5 stars Grand Tour
This new book navigates the seas of fiction and love. As a piece of internet prose, it easily surpasses Matt Beaumont's entertainment 'E'. Jeanette Winterson explores the opportunities offered by the net, the wardrobe door that leads to many a magical land. The heroine of this novel flits here and there, choosing exotic locations as she pleases. However, much of this...
Published on 4 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars fantastical; precisely beautiful; but nothing new.....
Prose as we've come to expect from Jeanette Winterson - often breath-takingly lovely, hardly a wasted word and deft use of the magical and the bizarre to make sense of the real and the unreal. But, the novel, although markedly superior to much of what's currently being produced, serves only to augment themes and metaphors expounded time and again in her other literary...
Published on 24 Sep 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you've ever loved someone!, 15 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Powerbook (Paperback)
I have read 'Oranges are not the only fruit' and yes I loved it, but even so I was not initially drawn to this book. The blurb on the back seemed a little bizarre but please don't be put off by it. This book makes so much sense, especially if you've ever been in love. As another review stated, the narrative is littered with lines that one could meditate on for days at a time. The only boundary, as the sell line states, is you. It really is, if you don't like this book then you've probably not let yourself really enjoy it. You should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, thoughtprovoking, magnetic writing, 5 Nov 2001
lwalker@coup.co.uk (Heilbronn, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Powerbook (Paperback)
I can't recommend this book or this wonderful author strongly enough. Jeanette Winterson is a truly inspired writer of the English language, and every word of every line is worth savouring. The characters are built so beautifully, their surroundings brought alive by her descriptions - all these things are worthy of lavish praise.
But for me, Jeanette Winterson's works are treasured and read and re-read countless times for her ability to describe emotion, love and loss like no other author I have ever read. The Powerbook is no exception. The passage dealing with Lancelot and Guinevere is particularly moving and expresses so much that I have felt but been unable to express.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and unusual, 15 July 2002
A. Peel (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Powerbook (Paperback)
The cover and the title of the "PowerBook" are bold, startling and reflective of one another. Not only that but the red background infers both passion and power, whilst the outstretched, naked body on the bed of tulips further draws on both our sensuality and sexuality. It is marketing, it is modern and it gets our attention from the outset. Open the front cover and you find a PC, its screen reading; "Freedom for just one night". The cover alone sets the scene for what is to follow, and I, for one, was in no way disappointed by the intrigue I found.In my opinion, "The PowerBook" shows Winterson at her most imaginative and the work is particularly enticing as it is written in the first person, maximising the intimacy between reader and narrator; helping the reader share and live the fantasy.
Through the narrator, the reader is drawn into a cyberspace, dream world, controlled purely by personal desires and even momentary curiosities. As the reader is passive by definition, there seems to be even less risk in following a whim and sharing the pleasure of the narrator's fantasy world without consequences, free of the danger of suffering any repercussions in reality. But is the reader actually so passive or is this not a rather convenient, low profile position to take; sharing the fantasy without the risk of experiencing guilt or judgement? This is where the suspense increases as it is not difficult for anyone to hide their identity behind a computer screen nowadays and to live the book's fantasy for real, writing their own script, their cyber-destiny. In my opinion "The Powerbook" exemplifies how books and computers can both be used as protective and liberating shields from reality. Cyber-disguise is paralleled with literary escapism in a truly enticing manner, the main problem being that we are not free unless we are free inside ourselves, whatever the disguise.
One particularly striking element of the book is that Winterson overcomes the boundaries of time and identity, which in turn forces us to redefine freedom. Neither time nor identity is an obstacle in the world Winterson creates for us here. Everything can change at the touch of a button to suit our convenience, and yet whilst the jumps between radically different periods in history seem so magical in the book, they are also real on the internet to an extent, as so much is available in the cyber-world. And we can be free. Just for one night.Or can we? Once we have started pushing boundaries, is there not a temptation to want even more and never to be rid of the desire for freedom or of the desire to redefine it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written..., 29 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Powerbook (Paperback)
This has to be one of my all-time favourite books! Jeanette Winterson has an amazing imagination and certainly knows how to put her ideas across in a way that is captivating and flows very well. At first the story seems a little confusing and generally rather strange, blurring the boundary between the virtual and reality. There is alot of swapping between places and occasion dips into other stories and legend. I found this to be a thoroughly enjoyable read, allowing me to connect with the characters and almost leaving my a little nostalgic with so many thoughts going through me head.

Pick this book up and you won't want to put it down again!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Powerbook
The Powerbook by Jeanette Winterson (Paperback - 3 May 2001)
6.96