5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Iris Murdoch Book, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Nuns And Soldiers (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
I have read quite a few Iris Murdoch books but this is the one that most sticks in my mind. I often think about the last page of this book when I am feeling lonely and a bit of a misfit - there is a peculiar way in which she shows that we are all stuck with our own natures to a certain extent but this is just the way things are.

5.0 out of 5 stars I dare you to put it down!, 19 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Nuns And Soldiers (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
I had never read any Iris Murdoch and on a whim I decided to read this novel.
What an amazing book.
I read a great deal and the most noticeable feature in Murdoch's writing is that she does not use overly flowery metaphors.
Good well rounded characters, an interesting and gripping plot (more about that later) and a world inhabited by these characters which is both well described and easy to visualise. Indeed you sense that you could smell, feel and taste that world.
The plot; I do not know if this is a regular feature of Murdochs books but it would be hard to desribe the plot to anyone. You could just as easily say that it is about nothing as that it is about everything. Because it is about life; the lives of the characters, the moment of time in their lives in which you are allowed to view them.
And they are fascinating. Fascinatingly flawed, annoying, frustrating, lovable and intriguing.
Nuns and Soldiers will make you laugh, smile, startle and occasionally frustrate you but most of all amaze you.
When you have finished you will be in awe of Murdoch's ability to write with such eloquence and ease in a way which is so obviously brilliant but not so obvious that it interferes with your entering the world of this book.
I really do dare you to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Nuns And Soldiers (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
Brilliant, gripping, couldn't put it down

Nuns And Soldiers (Vintage Classics)
Nuns And Soldiers (Vintage Classics) by Iris Murdoch (Paperback - 5 July 2001)