Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2000
This is a marvellous collection of stories about what it's like to be a modern mother. Simpson writes wonderfully about the joy, anguish, frustration, humiliation and goodness of this life. I defy anyone who has had children not to recognise aspects of their own experience in it. It's even better than her first two collections - darker, sadder, funnier.
on 17 January 2001
This woman just gets better, funnier and scarier with every book she turns out. The loathsome, callous Jade; Robin the adoring toddler; Dorrie, the heroine and nemesis of every thirty-something mother - Helen Simpson has been bugging your home and office again. Cafe Society had me in tears of appalled recognition; the title story made me laugh loudly enough to turn heads on a crowded train. Thank you, Helen, for putting into words so much more elegantly and truthfully than anyone else I have ever read, what mothers feel. I sometimes think I would love to write and then I encounter a masterpiece like this and think better of it. Phew.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 February 2014
All nine of Helen Simpson’s collection of short stories are good, in fact very good. The only one that felt a little out of my compass was one about a select clothes shop where one has to give a password to get in. The two business-women initiated into this had money to burn - £300 for a jacket, for example. This is an wonderful collection, sharp, witty, and sometimes devastating. The stories are all about families. One family features in two stories and a teenaged baby-sitter, Jade, also features in the lives of these comfortable (or mostly), well-upholstered lives. The marriage trap has closed upon them and in the title story we get the truth about how so much of marriage is a compromise, especially for a wife. So much of a compromise for Dorrie in particular, that she feels too often the constraints to her inner core. At times I asked myself where was the laughter? Joy is a secret, the love Dorrie has for her youngest son is almost a forbidden thing. Granted, every marriage has it’s lows, but where in Dorrie’s life are the highs? In the last story Hooray for the Holidays the arrant selfishness of the husband makes him seem more stupid and thoughtlessly cruel than any child. The writing is taut, beautifully poised and dramatically fulfilling.

This is a superb collection of stories – all female life is here, or that of the well-heeled upper middle classes, at least. I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful collection.
on 5 March 2016
I have been boring anyone who will listen with quotes from this book all week. Some very lucky people have even had a photocopy of the odd story thrust upon them with fierce instructions to read immediately. Others are going to find it turning up as a birthday present, house warming present, thanks-for-having-me-for-coffee present or any other lame excuse I can think of to spread the joy of this excellent collection of short stories!

This set of tales focusing on mums in various different scenarios was actually published in 2000, but I've only just discovered it. However, even reading it 16 years later, it is still very resonant and perceptive about the lives of mothers. My youngest has just started school so I am beginning to emerge from the world of nappies, toddlers and weaning- although still rooted firmly enough in the world of sleepless nights and tantrums to not have totally forgotten about the more relentless side of parenting. If I had read this collection even a year ago it might have made me weep with despair but, with a little distance from some of the situations depicted, it had me smiling, snorting, highlighting, rereading and nodding vigorously in vehement recognition and empathy. Don't get me wrong, motherhood is a wonderful gift, an amazing experience, I love my children and count my blessings but....it has been hard, gruelling, challenging and a completely life changing experience which has sometimes been lonely and a little bleak. Simpson acknowledges this continuous conflict felt by every parent and writes about it with perception and wit.

I had four favourite stories. "Lentils and Lilies" shows eighteen year old Jade's perceived view of motherhood. She vows never to "be dead inside" or end up "making rotas and lists and endless arrangements" like her mother who is admired by everyone for achieving such micro management of her family when, in Jade's judgmental eyes, she is merely harassed, nagging and frequently unable to get them to school on time. When Jade accidentally gets involved with helping another stressed mother, she has nothing but contempt and disgust for the woman whose house is "like a propaganda campaign for family values.....a fluttery white suffocation of cliches." Yet I have every confidence Jade will become one such woman - after all, I said the same and look at me now......!

I loved "Cafe Society" and if this book hadn't had been published so long ago I would have suspected Helen Simpson of stalking me, especially as the child even has the same name as mine and mentions the "collective intake of breath as everyone turns to stare" which seems to haunt me everywhere I go! This story described the last nine years of my life. It was so entertaining, so sharp and so true. Two shattered women meet for a coffee but the presence of the toddler "precludes anything much in the way of communication beyond blinking in morse." His behaviour was described with such wit and accuracy - the tiny details sprinkled over the narrative like the cocoa power on your latte -creating a brilliant, vivid image of the scene and conveying character and atmosphere with scant, concise remarks. The internal voices of the two women show a more complex and serious reflection on motherhood which is more thought provoking and sad. They leave in a sudden hurry as you so often have to with small children resolving "never again," having exchanged "less than 200 words inside this hour."

In "Hey Yeah Right Get A Life" and "Hurrah for the Holidays" we meet Dorrie whose initial enthusiasm for motherhood is wearing thin as her youngest child begins to leave the toddler years behind and Dorrie is forced to confront what is left of her and her life: "She had broken herself into pieces like a biscuit and was now scattered all over the place." She does nothing for herself, through her "constant usefulness to others she has herself become a big fat zero". Dorrie doesn't know how to put herself first as she feels nothing but guilt if she is not busy with tasks for the family all the time. But at the same time she exhausted and consumed with a sense of inferiority and failure after years of dealing with "tempestuous egomaniacal little people." These stories are perhaps the saddest and most poignant in the collection. Her apathy and listlessness generates huge empathy from the reader as she is a caring, loving, indulgent mother who is bullied by her husband. Simpson writes with sensitivity about Dorrie's depressing plight yet the writing remains full of humour and dry, sardonic comments which will bring a broad smile to your face.

I liked the recurrent theme of Doctors and their apathy for female patients; their sense of disinterest in another neurotic mother. They have the skill to silence a woman before she makes them feel obliged to put her on prozac. Another example of Simpson's skilled observation and shrewd insight.

This collection of stories was so enjoyable - I did not find it caustic or cliched but realistic, authentic and reflective. Simpson's writing is intelligent and accomplished. She is highly skilled at creating characters quickly and adeptly, placing the reader firmly in the centre of a scene quickly and effortlessly. These stories and each of the women will stay with me. I have filled pages of a notebook with quotes that I loved and that meant something more personal to me.

There's a lot to be said for the fact that every book has a totally different impact on each individual. Certain books definitely affect you differently depending on whether you are on holiday, over-worked, emotional, ecstatic or at a particular life stage. I think this is one of these books and I appreciate that it won't appeal to every parent or reader however hard I insist, but I would encourage you to give it a go. It's intelligent, pertinent and funny. Simpson is a gifted observer of people and life. I am off to discover more of her books.
on 4 April 2001
I bought, I read, I laughed, I cried, I recognised me, my friends and foes. Helen Simpson writes like an exocet missile to the heart of modern, middle class motherhood. Everywhere is compromise,angst,love and sadness. Neeedless to say, having read this book I bought four copies and distributed them around my friends!
on 27 January 2001
I recognised myself,friends and family in these stories...accutely painful, touching, and truly funny. All women should read this.."Its not just you!"
on 28 April 2006
These stories are worth reading for their literary merit alone -even if you are not interested in the subject matter. This is motherhood, or rather, the choices facing women about whether or not to combine motherhood and work. For some of her examples, it's essential and for others, it's a terrifying thought. But Helen's invention new verbs like "satined" against his skin is gorgeous and original.

Instead of railing against the burden of parenthood, Helen appears to voice her feelings through her fictional characters. It must have been thoroughly therapeutic to do so. Husbands and wives who are trying to 'have it all' or struggle with the demands of parenthood and coupledom will relate to these stories.
on 17 August 2010
This is Helen Simpson's fourth collection of short stories. This book contains nine interlinking stories which examine the role of the modern wife/mother from different perspectives. We meet tough go-getters, feckless teenagers, alienated stay-at-home mums and men who just don't get it. Over the course of the stories we see how different women deal with being a wife and mother and see the extremes of experience they find.

In the beginning, I didn't enjoy this book. I found it difficult to sympathise with the characters and reading about women who sacrificed their autonomy and ambitions to look after ostensibly mollycoddled children grated on my sense of justice. However, I persevered and by the end I felt I had a much better grasp of the choices these women faced and the inner conflicts which plagued them. It was far from a comfortable read but felt like a very real reflection of how some women feel every day of their lives and made me a far less judgmental.

Although this is definitely not holiday reading, I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in women's issues and, specifically, the changing role of wives and mothers. You might surprise yourself and learn something new. I certainly did.
on 17 January 2010
There are clearly a lot of readers out there who enjoy Helen Simpson's writing and connect with her characters, but I found almost every story in this small book a disappointment. I found it particularly galling that Simpson's "heroine" (to quote another reviewer) in a few of the stories, Dorrie, was so thoroughly passive and pathetic (like almost all of the mothers in this book, except for the one working mom, a Nicola Horlick character), yet we are meant to sympathize with her. Ultimately, the book was far more frustrating than illuminating.
on 23 April 2008
There is little doubt that Helen Simpson is indeed a very good writer but her subject matter - domestic life, women being stuck at home with children, giving up their careers, unsupportive husbands is so moany and whingey it left me thoroughly infuriated! Essentially the book is the same story told about eight times!