5.0 out of 5 stars Memories
I recently had reason to look this book up on Amazon and was astonished to discover that it had only one, very negative, customer review.
Published on 13 Jan 2011 by Mrs. ME Richardson

2.0 out of 5 stars verbose & tedious
Published on 31 July 2007 by B.UK Worm

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 13 Jan 2011
Mrs. ME Richardson (Belfast United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memories Of A Catholic Girlhood (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
I read the book 50 years ago when it was first published and thought it was brilliant. Everything I have heard or read about it since then leads me to believe that my opinion is widely shared and that it has become a classic of its genre.
McCarthy's experiences may not be unique but the way she describes them is.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it so far, 1 Nov 2013
my lecturer suggested I get this to help ;me complete my statement for my MA, so far it is a good read cool

2.0 out of 5 stars verbose & tedious, 31 July 2007
This book was far to verbose & tedious to be enjoyable. It only covered about 9 years of Mary's life, and then more about her aging relatives than her, hardly a childhood. Anyone expecting scandalous or even startling revelations will be disappointed. Mary even says that many of her readers have contacted her to say their childhoods were just like hers, which comes as no surprise as it is very typical, mundane and possibly like hundreds of childhoods of this era, but unlike Mary they've not felt compelled to bore other's with it. Unless you want to impress your friends with a new diction then don't bother purchasing this book, and if curiosity has got the better of you, borrow it from the library.

Memories Of A Catholic Girlhood (Vintage Classics)
Memories Of A Catholic Girlhood (Vintage Classics) by Mary McCarthy (Paperback - 2 Mar 2000)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available