4.0 out of 5 stars Wild Lovers, 19 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Wild Palms (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
`Wild Palms' is about two lovers who dare to have a very deep and selfless relationship that leads them to madness and death. The other is called `Old Man' and it is about a convict that saves a woman from a flood, but it means much more, it is all about maternity and the old battle of Men against Nature. The stories told in alternated chapters are about love, resignation and dedication.
I like most `Wild Palms', but it doens't mean I didn't like the other novel. But Palms somehow pushed some buttons inside me. Many people complain this novel is too obvious, and after the second chapter you can predict things that will happens to the lovers in the end. Well, it can be so somehow, but what I think it is more importante here is how far they go and how they take their love affair so serious and passionate. Charlotte and Wilbourne are very brave . When reading I could see the tragic result of their love, but one cannot imagine what leads the to such an ending. `Old Man' also is about love, but a different kind. In this novel, the river is one of the main characters, subjugating men, but also meaning free will.
All in all, it is a very dense novel, that tackles both about bizarre and lyrical sides of life. I don't think it is a kind of book for everyone, due to its difficult and deep subject, but some people will delight with Faulner's words.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild Palms William Faulkner, 8 Feb. 2015
This is the first William Faulkner book I have read and I found it very heavy going indeed. The language is so old fashioned and ponderous and he seems to use 20 words where about 6 would do. Gradually I began to look forward to picking up the book and reading some more but I would need to read it again (and I'm in no hurry to do that). I felt the scenes in the water with the prisoner, the woman and the baby went on for far too long and still don't understand why he handed himself up in the end. He was such a young man. The story of the doctor (who was not a doctor) and his girlfriend was quite baffling also. All in all I didn't enjoy this book. I read about the author after finishing the book and discovered he had written the book a long time ago. I prefer my literature to be more recent than 1938. I'm sure others will not agree with me but this is the review. Liked it but certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jaw dropping, 20 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Wild Palms (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
Like all Faulkner books, this is a rich, thick piece of literature that almost forces you to put the book down occasionally and draw breath. There are two stories told in alternating chapters: one story follows a convict during a devastating flood; the second a woman who abandons her husband and children to live with the man she has fallen in love with.

These are pretty ordinary tales, but Faulkner's talent is to bring the depth of experience out of them. For the first hundred pages or so my jaw was literally dropping at the author's sheer talent for evoking his characters and their situations. In some ways, though, this richness can sometimes become too much - like a rich pudding that gives you stomach ache - while at times I found myself impatient for the convict chapter to end so I could return to the couple story.

That aside this is a brilliant book that makes you realise how many different ways a story can be told - and how a truly brilliant writer like Faulkner can bring the medium to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars America's Shadow, 16 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Wild Palms (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
A masterpiece, one of Faulkner's greatest achievements. The book brings the dark side of the American dream. With black humour and sophisticated literary technic, Faulkners shows how money, fear and prejudicism have destroyed the aspirations of common Americans. The novel depicts American society as a material civilization utterly devoid of ideals. In this novel, Faulkner's black vision of America comes close to E. A. Poe's literary nightmares and his epic vision of Mississippi to that of Mark Twain.

Wild Palms (Vintage Classics)
Wild Palms (Vintage Classics) by William Faulkner (Paperback - 5 Oct. 2000)