5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant....wonderful....jus EXCELLENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty average I'm afraid
Published on 27 April 2000 by lfeather@thornes.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant....wonderful....jus EXCELLENT, 1 Feb 2004
This review is from: Come Together (Paperback)
I have to say that this has to be the book that has got me back into reading. It has to be the best book i have read so far and has made Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees my favoraite authors. I have to thank the person who told me about this book, if not i would be missing out on the laughters and smiles. This book is funny and so is all the other titles written by Josie & Emlyn. Start reading and you just will not want to put it down and its not just Come Again, but all the other books they have written!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantasic for the tube, 19 July 2002
This review is from: Come Together (Paperback)
Having recently reinstated my appetite for reading and racing through books like they are going out of fashion; I was ever so pleased when my neighbour passed this book to me to read and review. (partly as I didn't have to pay for it).
I am so glad that I did, it was brilliant, I became so involved, I didn't want it to end. The best thing was finding myself laughing on an otherwise dull tube, I did get some very odd looks (I mean laughing in a public place!). It is a book I would recommend to anyone and everyone, an investment that you could read many times over. (So I need to now get my own copy)
I love it when you don't want to put a book down for fear of missing something (okay I know that you wouldn't actually miss anything), but it's as though you should be part of the story, willing things to happen.
I have read some good books recently but this is definately at the top, rating highly in every category you could think of.
If people do not like this book I would be very surprised, it is a good synopsis of life today if you're in your twenties/thirties.
BUY IT!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic read, 13 Aug 2014
Laura (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Come Together (Kindle Edition)
I recently found the paperback version of this in a charity shop and bought it for a nostalgic read as I remembered how much I liked it first time round (1999!). I can still remember laughing out loud when reading it. I wouldn't say it has completely stood the test of time for me but it's still an entertaining read. I laughed again at how bored Amy gets in her temp jobs and filing her nails etc. I liked the will they/won't they relationship between Jack and Amy.

It's interesting that Lloyd and Rees were put together by publishers to write this book together but ended up falling in love with each other for real which I remember gave me a little warm glow when I read they eventually married and had children!

I will add that I wasn't as impressed with the sequel as I was with this first book but they're good writers and this can be read as a standalone. There is no cliffhanger like is the trend in today's books which is becoming more than annoying!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty average I'm afraid, 27 April 2000
This review is from: Come Together (Paperback)
I bought this book having read the reviews and on the understanding it was going to be some enlightening and brilliant masterpiece. Not quite. It was funny, but not hysterical, and it was insightful, but hardly revolutionay. I enjoyed reading it but was disappointed as it wasn't as original or thought provoking as I had been led to believe. I think that maybe there are just too many of these sorts of mid-twenties life crisis type books about and having read quite a few of them it takes a really brilliant one to stand out from the crowd. I think perhaps Marian Keyes or Kathy Lette get the female perspective across better, but it is still worth a read and is quite unique in its description of the male and female angle of situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brillant book!, 24 Nov 2000
By A Customer
I loved this book! I read it all in one day because i couldn't put it down. The book is interesting because it is written by two authors, but their writing styles go really well together and make it very easy to read. I laughed out loud on a few occasions and identified with the two main characters, and their friends. A friend recommended this book to me and I have now recommended it to all my friends. The subject and the humour is definitely aimed at young adults, but my Mum read it (aged 50 something) and loved it too. If you enjoy reading books by authors such as Jane Green, Kathy Lette, or Freya North - then you will probably enjoy this too. The sequel book (Come again) is also good, but Come Together should be read first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted relief from a bad day, 1 Aug 2002
This review is from: Come Together (Paperback)
I was off work ill today so I read this book (which was free with a magazine). It was quite a fun story, engaging enough to make me feel better but trashy enough to read in a day and instantly forget it ever existed: it's not exactly of life changing standard, but it is fun.
Come Together is co-written by a man and a woman and it tells two sides of a relationsip, alternate chapters reveal amy and jack's feelings. I'd be interested to know whther the authors each wrote one of the character's thoughs as the 'Amy' chapters are written very differently to the 'Jack' pages. This may be by design to distinguish between the characters' attributes, or it may just reflect Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees' different writing styles.
This was light hearted relief from a bad day; though I doubt I'll remember having read it in six weeks time!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 14 Jan 2005
This review is from: Come Together (Paperback)
I bought this book by "accident" i had nothing to read and i saw this book in a little shop. I was in a hurry and i didn't have too much time to read on the back of it.............I think I just read the first 2 lines and then bought it and i really did the best buy ever. It's the best book I have ever read and when i finished i just wanted to know what happend to Amy and Jack. Then one day i discover that theres another one about them so if u have to remember to also buy come again :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for holidays!, 2 Jun 2006
This review is from: Come Together (Paperback)
I dont usually read chick-lit. But this one is just too good to pass up. Bridget Jones move over! My copy is absolutely trashed, because of all the times I have read it. It is hillarious, romantic, but romantic in a way where the feet are still planted firmly on ground. I think the fact that there are one female and one male author gives it depth that other soppy books just dont have. Even so, it is most definatly for women. Light hearted fun! Great stuff...

4.0 out of 5 stars Come Together / Come Again: A better class of Romance, 1 April 2007
This review is from: Come Together (Paperback)
The first Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees I read was `We are Family', which I thought was amazing, so I immediately ordered `Come Together' and `Come Again' and read them back-to-back, hoping for more of the same.

However, these are nothing like `We are Family', primarily because these are essentially romantic novels, albeit with more interesting characters, but also because there was none of the "darkness" that made `We are Family' such a stunning read.

That's not to say that these are not enjoyable reads (`Come Together' more so, in my opinion) just in a very different vein.

`Come together' is funny, tender and very `real', maintaining the fine balance between being romantic and being soppy without ever becoming unrealistic. Furthermore, and unusually for a romantic novel, it has characters you can both relate to and care about.

`Come Again' is a sort of follow-on to `Come Together' in that it features many of the same characters, but they seem much more hastily put together, with far less depth to each in this one, so that I found it hard to become attached to any of them... in fact, they were only just likeable. Its saving grace is that, for a novel of its genre, it is definitely not predictable, and it made me smile on quite a few occasions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill Item, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Come Together (Kindle Edition)
Thank you for this item, it arrived as described. I will be recommending you to others. Thank you once again.

Come Together
Come Together by Emlyn Rees (Paperback - 1999)
7.19