5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge THIS book by it's cover. Read it and decide.
Looking at the cover of this book will tell you 'only buy me if you're a woman'.
However as a man I can say that this was an absolutely excellent read for anyone.
If you were brought up in British suburbia I defy you not to think that large chunks of this book have been written about you.
The difference between the two familes involved is stark, but you...
Published on 8 Nov 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Like a calm summers day
I enjoyed this book, it wasn't superb and it is not etched on my mind but I enjoyed it. The story was enough to keep my attention and I enjoyed the writing, it was simple without being simplistic. The family life amused me as there was quite a bit that I could relate to and found myself laughing along to and yes - I would get another Clare Chambers, and I am glad that by...
Published on 11 Dec 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books I've read, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: Learning To Swim (Paperback)
This is the first book by Clare Chambers that I've read but I am sure it won't be the last.

I loved it from start to finish. All the characters were wonderfully depicted and the situations so believable.

There was never any point when I felt the story lacked momentum or interest and although I was glad to get to the end to find out what happened, I was sorry there was no more to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever!, 11 Nov 2011
This review is from: Learning To Swim (Paperback)
Quite simply one of the best books I have ever read. Full of great characters and a touching story. Loved In a Good Light but this was even better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and Original, 18 Aug 2011
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Learning To Swim (Paperback)
A lovely, often very funny story about a girl cursed with an embarassing surname (Onions) and unhappy parents with a deeply suburban life style, who finds an escape from home by her friendship with the wildly bohemian Radley family. Abigail, the narrator and heroine, was a subtly interesting and very sympathetic character, and the wild Radley family (bad artist father, bread-winning elegant mother with a lover on the side, brooding melancholic son and lively,fun-loving daughter) were brilliantly realized. It's rare that a book makes me laugh out loud but certain scenes in this novel did. It's not all comedy though - Chambers very movingly depicts Abigail's progression to adulthood, and the eventual weakening of her friendship with Frances Radley. If I don't give the book five stars, it's because I feel that at the end things became slightly rushed - the subplot with Abigail's half-sister wasn't really given enough space, and the final section, dealing with Abigail's adult life and her reunion (twenty or so years on) with Rad, Frances's brother, seemed over a bit to quickly - a pity, as there was some wonderful writing in this section. But this is definitely a book worth reading - I've ordered most of Chambers's other books now and look forward to reading them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down, 28 Feb 2000
R. M. (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning To Swim (Paperback)
An enthralling tale of love and loss. The story has believable characters which convincingly portray the chaos of human emotions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, but..., 28 Sep 2009
Caitlin (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning To Swim (Paperback)
I purchased this from Amazon based purely on the reviews, and possibly because of that misjudged the 'genre'. I found the book highly entertaining, however I was extremely disappointed at the overwrought and improbable ending in the last few chapters which moved it rapidly from quality character study to trashy romance. A bit of a let down, when far more believable and interesting conclusions were possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Learning To Swim (Paperback)
This was a very enjoyable holiday read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 14 Aug 2009
This review is from: Learning To Swim (Paperback)
I read lots of positive reviews about this book, and about Clare Chambers, so I thought I'd give her a go. However, despite persevering, I had to give up half way through. I found the plot mediocre, and the characters uninteresting. Perhaps her other books are better, but this is not one I would recommnd.

5.0 out of 5 stars A smashing read!, 22 July 2014
Brilliant!

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and only suitable for someone under 20 who may ..., 19 July 2014
This review is from: Learning To Swim (Kindle Edition)
Boring and only suitable for someone under 20 who may be less discerning. I have read The Editors Wife, which actually had a story to it, so I would read that one if I were you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Learning To Swim
Learning To Swim by Clare Chambers (Paperback - 1 Oct 1998)