4.0 out of 5 stars Not half bad
Having read Atonement and not got on with The child in Time, i decided to read a book of Ian McEwan's that was more off the beaten track. What i found was The Innocent. I throughly enjoyed it and i would recommend that for anyone who didn't get on too well with Ian McEwan's other books to read the Innocent.

It is a gripping tale about how an English man in cold...
Published on 26 Jun 2008 by K. Bulcock

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - don't read whilst eating
Published on 5 July 2007 by Four Violets

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - don't read whilst eating, 5 July 2007
Four Violets (Hertford UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
A spy story set in Berlin shortly after the end of the second world war - a romantic love story - a gruesome and revolting horror story (don't read whilst eating) - then the circle continues on back through spy to love story again. It was only after starting the book that I noticed another review recommended "don't read this as your first Ian McEwan". Probably wise advice; but I enjoyed it anyway and will certainly read more of his.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not half bad, 26 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)

It is a gripping tale about how an English man in cold war Berlin gradually losses his innocence. It is a light and short read which i thoroughly enjoyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cold, cold war, 9 April 2000
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
This is vintage McEwan. He describes the love affair with feeling and, I guess, from some experience. I liked the sharp contrast between the mechanics and bizarre logic of the Cold War and the unpredictability of human behaviour when it is allowed free reign. 50s Berlin is also beautifully evoked - Harry Lime's Vienna moved north. The novel has a neat and typically weird McEwan twist before its moving, sentimental denouement. Great reading - thoroughly recommended to fans and sceptics alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars A captivating tale of love and young life in post-war Berlin, 20 Jan 1999
By A Customer
The Innocent is a surprising book, combining the fascination of secret work in post war Berlin with a captivating story of love and sexual exploration The string of events which emanate from this background are all the more shocking because of the complete plausibility of the tale. The book reminded me of the Puzo novel Dark Arena in the setting of the backdrop, (although it cannot match the rawness and brutality of that story) and Hurry on Down for the frailty of the human emotion. Thoroughly enjoyable!

4.0 out of 5 stars a must-read!, 3 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
The first time I read this I had to put it down unfinished as I could not bear to discover the foreshadowed doom of the main character. It took me a year before I could gather the courage to start again and read the whole thing. Exaggerating? If you found Enduring Love moving, it's nothing compared to The Innocent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 16 Aug 2008
I. Burgess - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
Yes wow what a book. I saw Atonement which was rubbish in my opinion and thought no not ever will I read one of his books and yet on the way to Hong Kong at LHR-T5 i was captivated by the book's cover and the basic story line which interests me anyway. Berlin post war is a sumptuous backdrop and this book delivers magnificently. I could hardly put it down and apart from the dismemberment pages was an absolute thill. So much so that I then bought Black Dogs which isn't half as good but after On Chesil Beach and Innocent I am raring to go with more of his work. Well done Ian.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read, 22 Nov 2007
Dr. Michael Rowlands (UK/Algarve Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
What a great read! Splendid in both form and content. A well constructed plot which starts with an easy read, but then it takes an interesting and unexpected turn. I bought it after reading "On Chesil Beach" which is only a short story, but which has got me hooked on the author. Recommeded. Dr Michael Rowlands

3.0 out of 5 stars Gratuitous gore grates, 22 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
I had never read anything by McEwan but was sort of aware of his success. While living in Berlin in 2008/2009, I came across a translation in German of the novel and bought it mostly because it was set in Berlin and because it was translated from English to German and therefore, thought I, would be a little easier to handle for my still rusty German skills.

The first part of the novel was unexceptional. I found the characters a bit two-dimensional and was neither enamoured nor turned off by the story. But then it got to the blood and gore and frankly I had to skip a couple of pages because even though my German was rusty I could not read it without wanting to gag.

The middle part rather "coloured" the whole book for me and I shall hesitate before ever reading another of his works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very clever, 24 Jan 2014
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
Leonard, the titular "innocent", is a telephone technician who travels to Berlin in 1955 to work a secret project to intercept communications from the Russian embassy. (While Leonard is a fictional character, the project was real). He acquires a German girlfriend, Maria - his first ever girlfriend - and settles into life in Berlin. However there are indications that things might be about to go wrong for him. His girlfriend's ex is a violent thug who shows up every now and then to beat her up. He has a mysterious neighbour who is showing too much interest in what Leonard is up to. And his boss is also all too interested in what is going on in Leonard's life.

I spent the first half of this book wondering where the book was going and why I was reading about such unpleasant characters. Then, around the halfway mark there is a major event which dramatically shifts the direction of events. The second half is much more of a thriller and the ending comes together in a very pleasing way. A cleverly crafted story, albeit with some descriptions of graphic violence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Faint-Hearted, 26 Sep 2011
Susie B - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
Set in the mid-fifties and based on real events this unusual story centres around Leonard Marnham, a rather nave twenty-five-year old Englishman who comes to the divided city of Berlin to work as part of a British-American undercover surveillance team. Whilst working on a top secret underground tunnelling project to tap the phone lines of the Russians, Leonard meets a beautiful German divorcee, Maria, in a night club and he quickly falls in love and loses his virginity. Leonard has never met anyone like Maria before and after a few months they become engaged. However, Leonard does not get the happy ending he planned as Maria's ex-husband is a violent, jealous man and one who is not fully prepared to let her go. In one evening, Leonard loses what is left of his innocence after he commits a violent act that turns his whole life upside down. Both Leonard and Maria struggle to cope with the aftermath of this tragic event - but it is what they subsequently decide to do to cover up their crime that is truly horrific and this dreadful act not only affects their immediate future, but has consequences that reverberate throughout the following years. I can't really add more to this without spoiling the story, but I should mention that there is a very gruesome section in this book where the author is exceptionally graphic in his description of the act committed by Leonard and Maria. I found this part of the book difficult to read - but that said, I could not put it down until I had finished it.

This is a cleverly written and intriguing novel which works on more than one level - it's part East-West spy thriller, part love story and part coming of age novel, deftly packaged into one. I have read several of Ian McEwan's novels in the past, enjoying some more than others, however this book is a bit different - it's certainly not for the faint-hearted, and if you do read it, I think you will understand exactly what I mean.

4 stars.

The Innocent
The Innocent by Ian McEwan (Paperback - 3 Sep 1998)
6.29