5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely enchanting story! beautiful written
Published on 5 Jun 2002 by zind@online.no

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than The Book of Colour
I bought both this book and The Book of Colour, also by Julia Blackburn. I read The Book of Colour first and hated it, and was dreading reading this book.
Mercifully, this book is easier to read and has a more interesting plot.
I think Julia Blackburn's style is not at all to my taste.
All I can say is, have a read of this book and see what you make of it...
Published on 18 Aug 2012 by hshm

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely enchanting story! beautiful written, 5 Jun 2002
This review is from: The Leper's Companions (Paperback)
This is a beautiful written book about a women who has her own way of dealing with sorrow. The death of someone she loved dearly, makes her escape "the real world", and suddonly she finds herself in her own town, but this time the year is 1410. Not only is it a good story, but it's wonderfully written, so good that you almost feel that you are there with the main character in the book. It's a pretty short book (about 150 pages,ca.), so I bet just about anyone can find time to read it, and everyone should too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than The Book of Colour, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Leper's Companions (Paperback)
Mercifully, this book is easier to read and has a more interesting plot.
I think Julia Blackburn's style is not at all to my taste.
All I can say is, have a read of this book and see what you make of it. It seems to be popular, so I must be missing something about Julia Blackburn's style and message.

5.0 out of 5 stars a spellbinding parable, 30 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Leper's Companions (Hardcover)
I really liked Julia Blackburn's little book. It is exquisitely written in lean & learned detail, & carries the Reader off into another time & another place where our ancestors tried to make sense of what they saw, believed & felt.
This is a rare book to encounter about what it might have been like to live 800 years ago on the coast of a sparsely-settled land, where a new religion interfaces with the old, where life is so fragile before the onslaught of the weather, relationships are infused with hallucinations, & pilgrimages to the Holy Land undertaken in dire poverty & total surrender.
THE LEPER'S COMPANIONS is about a grieving woman & her travel through that hurt into healing.
A pearl of a parable that glows with authenticity, & I hope it comes into reprint so that it can thrill others as it did me. Until then go hunt up a used copy, I'm not selling mine!

The Leper's Companions
The Leper's Companions by Julia Blackburn (Paperback - 4 May 2000)