Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 December 2001
As with all Anne Rice novels you expect a certain quality about the story and it was there, though that was about all you got. The story begins with good intentions, the majority of the story is written about Vittorio before he was given the dark gift. It may sound bad, but it was quite refreshing for Rice to create a story away from all the vampires in the other stories, hence when Lestat mentions about the presents of others in Queen of the Damned we finally find out one of these, though the door is still open for more.
I, and most other readers would agree, that this is by no means Rice's best work, yet, a good story nonetheless. A worthwhile read for any that are interested in vampires, even if no other stories from the chronicles have been read as no prior knowledge is required to fully understand and appreciaite the story. A Good Read, but by no means the best!
on 25 April 2000
As with all Rice's novels, once begun, it's impossible to put down. Vittorio is more a recollection of the classical wonder of Renaissance Florence than simply the tale of a vampire. Rice captures the beauty of an age through the life of the vampire with astounding detail. As with "Pandora", we are entranced and transported into the history of the character, and with beautiful prose and factual evidence, the book - as with all her novels - is simply a joy to read.
on 23 April 1999
When I first saw 'Vittorio' advertised, I could not recall reading about any character of that name before in any Anne Rice chronicle. I ordered it in advance anyway; firstly out of faith in the author and secondly because of my curiosity. When it arrived the day after despatch notification, I was really intrigued with the premise of the tale. However, two days later, I can say, I've read it cover to cover, not wanting to put it down when I've had to. The book is an amazing tale with all the elements of the previous 'classic' and 'new' chronicles, with an added twist. Additionally, it could quite easily stand alone as tale in it's own right, without the existence of the previous chronicles.
The descriptions of the characters, historical period and locations are as brilliant as usual, but the tale takes in a new facet to the authors' family of vampires. Vittorio is not a member of the regular coven nor do any of the regular characters enter into the story. The tale is woven skillfully and simply around the experience of Vittorio, the events leading up to, including and just after being made a vampire. The story is so well told it leaves you wanting to know more about what happened over the last few centuries, Vittorio's feelings as the world was changing. However, the tale clearly intimates his attitude to his vampiric state. If and/or when this tale is expanded, I'll be waiting..........
on 5 March 2011
I like Anne Rice and so it was with interest that I picked up this novel. I am afraid to say that I ended up feeling confused.

Anne starts with a lusty evocation of Renaissance Florence and the first part of the novel reads like a paen to the city. The problems start with the introduction of Vittorio, the supposed author of the narrative and the subject of some disturbing adventures.

I think the main failure in the novel is the attempt to reconcile two very different story lines. One, highly metaphysical, invovlves angels above Florence and complex discussions about the problem of evil and God's foreknowledge of it. The other, more traditional to Rice, concerns the various vampire shenanigans unfolding against the backdrop of Florence.

There is a love story here, one that purports to mirror Dante's own in reverse (Vittorio's Beatrice ending up being his guide to the horrors of the vampire universe rather than the glories of heaven), but the romance fails against the backdrop of Florence and intense angelic struggles. It simply does not work. Usrula, Vittorio's vampiric love interest, comes across as formulaic and insipid, much less real or interesting than the intrepid trio of Florentine angles that dog Vittorio.

Overall, it is the love song to the city of Florence and all its turbulent ages that I really appreciated in this book. This is worth a read for this only.
on 27 April 2001
The problem I find with Anne Rice's work is that much of it refers to other novels, which does give the Vampire Chronicles depth and continuity, but can be bewildering. This particular book is an entirely independent vampire novel, which is one of it's strongest points. It has ideas not covered in Rice's other works but more importantly it contains one of her strongest invocations of a time period. If you want a book that is descriptive, with a dynamic righteous hero (in the end you'll wish he hadn't been turned) then Vittorio is the Vampire for you.
Basically a great stand-alone novel by Rice, with one of the best good vs evil themes she has written.
on 2 September 2004
As engaging as the rest of Ms. Rice's vampiric oeuvre (all of which I have read;) the only slight disappointment was the lack of a sequel. In itself it was 'long enough'; just right in fact, but as much of what made it special was the fact that it wasn't part of the 'Vampire Chronicles' with the familiar 'cast of characters' but a new and very fascinating character, and a continuation of his separate eternity would have been most enjoyable.
on 6 June 2013
First it was very boring book. I don't know why. I left it for a while away while I was in Italy. When I came back from Italy, I started reading it again and felt different spirit of this book. It became interesting to me. Of course my interest changed because I visited Florence and when I came back home, this book became easier for me to read, because I already was in that city where Vittorio was. It was easier to imagine scenes and revive my travel's memories. Of course I had just few hours in Florence, it was already evening, but I saw what made me...mad. I was crying like mad in Florence of art I saw, so I can understand why Vittorio so adored art he saw in Florence. It is very hard to describe such art, but Anne Rice did this well in this book.

Maybe some scenes were boring a little. I get bored easily if I need to read about nature, weather and something like that. But in the end of book, things changed. I was happy to read interesting tale. If I had to tell in one word what I think of this book, I would say "ARTISTIC". Rich in art, culture and history. It warmed my heart and soul.
on 20 August 2004
I've read all of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles in sequence and was dreading this, as I'd heard it concerned totally new characters - and it does, which is a good thing. The title is misleading - Vittorio narrates as a vampire, but 85% of the book is spent as a human. This is no bad thing - it makes a refreshing change of perspective as
Vittorio battles against a castle full of vampires. A shame that not much of Vittorio's 500-year existence as a vampire is chronicled, but Anne Rice seems to like missing out huge chunks of her vampires' lives in her books (Pandora and Marius books spring to mind). Well recommended though.
on 9 July 2010
Vittorio the Vampire is kind of in a new direction compared to the other novels as Vittorio himself has no knowledge of the world Lestat and Louis and Co. live in. And this is also what makes his story so compelling. It's fresh and exciting. There's a feeling of discovery and I felt a little sad for Vittorio because I knew there was a whole different world for him to discover.

I have read this book at least three times. I first read it on holiday in Italy. And there coul not have been a more perfect setting than lounging on the steps in front of a basilica on a hot italian afternoon. Just fabulous.

Captivated? I was. Rice just keeps on delivering. I would have the Vampire Chronicles go on forever. Even if Rice has to send her manuscripts from the otehr side because Vittorio is another masterpiece.

Description is sumptuous. Characters are alive and almost touchable. The story is intelligent and does cease to keep the reader interested.

I fully recommend this as part of any bookshelf.

It has the Tohru seal of approval! ^^
on 16 April 2001
after reading some of the above reviews i just had to write!i found Vittorio a brilliant piece of work,it was so moving and i was transported back in time to the florence of the de medici.the sad but compelling tale of Vittorio had me spellbound.i hope that we see more of Vittorio as i think that Lestat and louis would love him.a very moving book.