5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Rice's best book

3.0 out of 5 stars The Feast of All Saints
Published on 21 May 2011 by Kristie Macknight

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Rice's best book, 30 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Feast Of All Saints (Paperback)
It is one of her earlier books, and lacking the usual Anne Rice supernaturalism, but also, imho, her best book. It soaks up the atmosphere of a long lost (sadly even now moreso) New Orleans with a bit of a history lesson for those unversed with that uncertain time when slavery was still going on, but the most interesting history lesson I've ever had! You get drawn into the book and it's unlikely beautiful characters. It is a book about growth and compassion and the good and bad sides of people. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion, one Anne Rice's best books, 5 Sep 2000
This review is from: The Feast Of All Saints (Paperback)
I found this book years ago, in an out of the way bookstore in Norway, long before I'd ever heard of any of Anne Rice's vampire books. Her style of writing, her character and place descriptions, and the thrilling and surprising twists in the plot, had me turning pages and being drawn into this dark, steamy, imaginary world throughout my summer vacation that year. It also gives a brilliant historic description of New Orleans at that time.
I still value it as one of my favorite books. I started reading the vampire books, but found them completely different from that first encounter with the author - as if they were written by a different person.
This is a beautifully written mystery, love story, historical novel - it has just about everything.
If given a choice of 10 books to take with me on a desert island, "The Feast of All Saints" would be among the top five.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 21 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Feast Of All Saints (Paperback)
This is Anne Rice at her exquisite best, before she drained herself dry churning out bestsellers. The characterisation is superb, the interaction between them is subtle and poignant. She shows such amazing talent for atmospheric writing, it is painful to think how bad she has become: perhaps the biggest literary disappointment of all time!
I still hold out hope that she will stop writing about supernaturalism and go back to what she does best - novel's like this, which ground her obessesions in reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sumptuous Feast, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Feast Of All Saints (Paperback)
The Feast of All Saints is a sumptuous book, full of rich descriptions that manage to capture the mood of New Orleans in the 1840s when viewed from the perspective of Marcel, a young boy of colour with a white plantation-owner father who kept Marcel's coloured mother as a mistress and his two children by her as a separate family from his white family at home. The evocative nature of the writing is the real success in this book and as the reader you feel you can imagine the oppressive heat of the young city. The French mood of the city is evident throughout and particularly well captured in the characterization of the various players in the book. It is a book that will draw you in and reward you for your perseverance, leaving you with a feeling that you knew more about New Orleans and the development of the American South than you did before you started.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alter your expectations., 27 July 2012
Mrs. D. L. Cox (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Feast Of All Saints (Paperback)
If you are looking for a book with a clearly emphasised plot-this is not the book for you.

This is a book which explores events surrounding the people of a place and time. It explores the co-existence of people of varying degrees of coloured skin and how a wavering balance is struck between slave, dark coloured,coloured but passes as white and white. And it's not at all clear.
It's an absurd system and the book shows this in a powerful way. Rather than tell us what we should think and who we should support or feel sorry for, Rice puts several very well developed characters in front of us and allows us to judge for ourselves.
I'll admit that the book took me a while to get in to. Mostly because of the lack of obvious strong plot. But events nearer the end revealed to me that somewhere along my journey I had formed an attachment and affection for several key characters.

In this book I found aspects of human nature laid bare and learned something about myself. This is a wonderful function of any book.

Aside from this..Rice has a way of describing people, places and music so that you really feel like you are there. I feel I know these people and their homes very well.

I do however question the blurb on the book saying this is gothic. In no way did I find this. Not in the sense of supernatural-though there is a small suggestion of voodoo. Nor gothic in the sense of domestic dangers for women-although these women are faced with unique marital pressures.

If you have avoided Rice's vampire books or witch books I would say that you may be missing out if you walk on by.

If you liked...
The color Purple (Alice Walker)
Wide sargasso Sea (Jean Rhys)
The long Song (Andrea Levy)
March (Geraldine Brooks)

Or enjoyed New Orleans as described by Kate Chopin (The Awakening and other stories)...

Then you will probably find something to love in this book. (or you could look at those after reading Feast of all saints) :)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Feast of All Saints, 21 May 2011
This review is from: The Feast Of All Saints (Paperback)
I have finally gotten around to reading this book by Anne Rice after having it on my shelf for a few years! As a fan of her early vampire fiction, I wasn't sure what to expect - as personally I feel that her quality of writing has deteriorated over time - for me, the later vampire novels lack a certain something that was present in the first three. This book was published in the 1980's I believe - so I was hoping it would be as good as Cry to Heaven or Interview with the vampire.

The story centres on Marcel, a young man of colour growing up in New Orleans before the civil war. As an offspring of the system of placage (where a wealthy white man kept a coloured mistress and their children as a separate family away from his recognised white family)Marcel belongs neither to the community of wealthy white plantation owners, or the that of the black slaves. He dreams of travelling to Paris and finding freedom from the restrictions of his life and community. Intertwined with his fate is that of his immediate family and friends.

The author paints a vivid and lush portrait of historical New Orleans in her typically purple prose. All is wondrous, exotic and sumptuous - from the china plate on the table to the silk dresses. And, for me - herein lies the problem - the pain, cruelty and degradation of the slave trade is glossed over somewhat. Although I understand that the characters would have different views from our modern stance, and the novel itself is not about slavery as such, it was an integral part of that society and therefore I expected perhaps a little more focus on that issue. The biggest problem for me however with this book was the real lack of action. It meanders slowly along with very little happening until the last quater of the book, and even then, there were no great plot twists or surprises.

All in all, i'm pleased I finally read the book as I knew nothing previously about the free people of colour or the system of placage, but it's not one I will be revisiting in the future as I have done some of the author's other books.

2.0 out of 5 stars what a pity, 9 May 2011
rob crawford "Rob Crawford" (Balmette Talloires, France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Feast Of All Saints (Paperback)
This book has an author of obvious talent, interesting characters and fascinating little-known history, and yet it fails. I believe that reason for this is that it reads as if it was written far far too fast, like so many books these days.

It is a story about a vanished world, that of the Gens de Coleur Libre in Pre-bellum New Orleans. The main character is a talented, blond black boy, who develops a relationship with a man, a successful author who has returned from Europe to open a school in his native city. The boy is desperate to escape from the provincial town to Paris, which his plantation-gentleman father promised to him and his concubine mother.

Is it arrogance or sloppiness that allowed Anne Rice to write this so quickly and carelessly? Was the editor scared to get her to edit it and re-write it, as she obviously did so brilliantly in her first two Vampire novels? We may never know. It is another example of what I regard as a squandered talent. I will probably not try to read any more of her books.

Of course, if you don't care how well a novel is written, and perhaps my standards are too high, the story has interesting characters in historical context, even if it devolves to melodrama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014
This review is from: The Feast Of All Saints (Paperback)
I've read this story many times & I still love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars a BIG shame, 5 Mar 2004
Ms. E. Blankson "emma_vampire" (london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Feast Of All Saints (Paperback)
All i can really say about this book is that i was really disappointed. i did not expected it to be written in the same way as her previous books however i did expect it to be exciting in its own way. the only thing this book was, was long winded. it took a long time for the story to get anywhere and when it did it passed along what had been climaxed very quickly. the book certainly did not hold the same power that anne rices previous single storys had like servant of the bones and was real disappointment and a big shame.

The Feast Of All Saints
The Feast Of All Saints by Anne Rice (Paperback - 4 Dec 1997)
6.39