4.0 out of 5 stars A good ice-breaker
Read this book with a view to introducing the subject of puberty and "hair in funny places" to my 8 year old daughter. Good for children who already know a bit about growing up but doesn't deal with everything you need to tell your children. Good for making children feel there's nothing wrong with having "hair in funny places"
Published on 2 Dec 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a very odd book!!
The style of this book.. if you don't read the words, or look too closely at the pictures, gives the impression it is geared at about 4-5 year olds. Large floppy pages, minimal and large text... like a read-along book. However, the actual content is pitched at an age group more of a ... well this is the issue, I cant work it out!

The whole book.. which I have...
Published 14 months ago by ReLovePreLoved

4.0 out of 5 stars A good ice-breaker, 2 Dec 1999
By A Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a very odd book!!, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hair In Funny Places (Paperback)

The whole book.. which I have read through 3 times, to try and put my finger on what has unsettled me, feels a bit confused. If you had a really young child going through precocious puberty, then maybe this book would be ok, but I cant help but feel it would be slightly alarming due to the content's juxtaposition to the pictures and layout. But then an older child who could handle the content maybe, would find the layout a bit babyish...??

Pg21 He soon began to take an interest in girls.

Pg22 Inside his penis, Mr Hormone was lurking with another dollop of the mixture.
(Mr and Mrs Hormone are dark,ugly, hairy monsters in the pictures)

Pg23 This made it grow big and small whenever it wanted. Then some sticky stuff actually came out. It meant one day he could be your dad!

Pg24 He wanted to kiss girls but the hormones had made him spotty and smelly.

The topic in question is clearly, for most parents, one of the parenting-rights-of-passage, not really looked forward to. I have spent many hours over the past few months researching how to go about this is the least painful way for my son, and myself. I have to say there are much better, straight forward, still amusing and light hearted, parent/child friendly books out there. ( If you are struggling, have a look at Robie H Harris, different books aimed at 4+, 7+ and 10+ ... the 4+ 'Its NOT the Stork!' is so lovely!)

The Independent and The Times gave good reviews for the book, so maybe I'm on my own with this slightly weirded-out feeling?!

Good luck!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for boys and girls alike., 9 Nov 2001
This review is from: Hair In Funny Places (Paperback)
I bought this book for my two boys (ages 7 and 8) who adore it and have bought it for a friend with girls. I remember being mortified and ashamed by what was happening to my body at puberty (we didn't talk about THAT kind of thing at home!). I wish I'd had this book then... A library isn't complete without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a lovely book which hits just the right note, 18 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Hair In Funny Places (Paperback)
I read this book with my nine year old daughter and she was very interested in it. It doesn't make you feel uncomfortable, and tells just enough for the child to take in in one go. The way the author includes a teddy takes away any fear of "leaving" childhood and becoming "like mummy". A very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hair in Funny Places, 23 Nov 2004
Amazon Customer (Heywood, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hair In Funny Places (Paperback)
We bought Dr Dog first and my son loved it so I thought I would try more by Babette Cole. Hair in funny places is wonderful. It explains things in a way that can't possibly be seen as embarrassing and has made for some interesting conversations with my 9 year old son!!!
Highly recommended for boys and girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars lighthearted way to chat about puberty, 15 Jun 2009
This review is from: Hair In Funny Places (Paperback)
I have used this book to teach a class of 10 year old boys and girls. They found it amusing and not embarrasing. It became one of the most read books in our class library.Good for talking points.

4.0 out of 5 stars a funny book for funny places, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Hair In Funny Places (Paperback)
This book is brilliant!! :)
I read this to my class of year 5's and they thought it was brilliant. It also went down as a hit with friends who come to visit, immature that we all are! :)
It's a good place to start with puberty, loads of discussion came from this book. Make sure you do follow it up with discussion as if you leave it as it is, may be a little scary!

1.0 out of 5 stars Girls' bodies aren't objects for boys to like!, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Hair In Funny Places (Paperback)
At first, this book covers the basics in a very clear, casual way. Nothing to be embarrassed of. Illustrations are quite nice (except the mr&Mrs hormones which look quite evil and scary as mentioned by another reviewer).

However, at the end of the explanation about changes females go through it says something about her loving her new body and so did the boys,the illustration is of a group of teenage boys staring at the female character in a bikini.
Then we get to the changes boys go through and as mentioned by another reviewer, that the boys is interested in girls who aren't interested in him because he's 'and smelly'.

Girls are not objects for boys to stare at, the 'need' for approval from men should not be perpetuated by a picture book, as young girls face enough of that growing up as it is.
Also I felt that the book suggested that girls can only like boys and boys can only like girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny and easy to read, 22 Oct 2008
This review is from: Hair In Funny Places (Paperback)
This is such a fun book to read with the kids and so easy to go through it. There is not need at all to stop during reading and answer questions, besides questions like: "Mom, did it happen to you too"?

My kids (not yet 8 and 10) read this almost every evening, over and over. I highly recommend it :)).

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a great book as a conversation starter, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Hair In Funny Places (Paperback)
a fun to read book, light hearted and makes 'that' conversation easier to broach.

It does not explain puberty in any detail so be prepared for question! but it's a witty and easy starting point, lots of little humerous pictures make 'changes' to your body seem normal and funny rather than scary.

My daughter has had this book for awhile and even at age 11 (where she has many better explanation books) she still likes to read this one.

Hair In Funny Places
Hair In Funny Places by Babette Cole (Paperback - 4 Oct 2001)