Format: PaperbackChange

on 2 March 2002
This book describes the many steps from babyhood to adulthood with the baby/child taking on many different animal forms. As a mother of a 2, 6 and 8 year old I could easily relate each of my children to each animal - be it a mud covered warthog or greedy vulture. Luckily my children were able to see the funny side of it too especially as there is a lovely twist with the parents at the end.
The descriptions are very clever and the illustrations as ever with Quentin Blake are marvellous.
A great read for all ages.
on 11 August 2009
When I was a child I was read a Quentin Blake book by my parents and I loved it. The pictures were fantastic and the rhymes were superb.

Having recently found out I am a father-to-be my parents bought me this as a birthday present to read to my young one.

I love it. It is colourful and witty. It is exciting for young children and has lastability.

For people such as myself though it has some grown up jokes in it too. You can read how new baby Zagazoo goes through phases of becoming different animals as he grows up. It hilarious.

Buy the book. You wont regret it.
on 8 April 2001
One day Zagazoo is 'delivered'to parents George and Bella. Their initial delight at their new born is soon brutally terminated by the realities of parenthood. The happy gurgling baby changes into a 'huge baby vulture' and thereafter the unsuspecting parents watch in horror, bewilderment, helplessness and despair as their child undertakes a series of metamorphosis into a succession of wild, uncontrollable animals. There is ,however, a happy ending (when George and Bella are nearing their dotage) as a 'perfect young man' emerges. Better late than never!
The wild and fantastical changes made by Zagazoo have held our children enthralled. Meanwhile we too enjoy considerable empathy with George and Bella!
on 10 November 2012
Recommended to all new parents as the only baby book you will ever need. It expains child development exactly. I think we have a wart-hog, moving slowly towards hairy monster. I always give this book to new parents. Forget Dr Green, this book says it all.
on 11 January 2013
This has to be one of Quentin Blakes most famous books and it is very good too. One day when Bella and George woke up and opened the door there was a big parcel waiting for them and out jumped Zagazoo. Zagazoo was a strange baby who kept on changing into big enormous animals. You will be delighted with the way Quentin Blake has illustrated his book with such colourful pictures. I would recommend this book to other small children because it is a very funny story. I could not put the book down it's was a real page turner. Will the Zagazoo ever not changing into animals?

Sanah
on 7 December 2012
My 21mo son loves mr magnolia and all join in so I bought this as an early xmas present. I love it, its a lovely book about raising children and then how they view parents, I'm going to buy more for my new parent friends. It doesn't have the lovely toddler friendly rhyming patterns of some of blake's other books so my son hasn't fallen in love with it yet but I think this will be a good one for older kids so we will get our money's worth at some point.
on 2 March 2012
I love this book and have given it as a present to so many different people, because parents enjoy it as much as children. While your child enjoys the funny pictures and silly ideas, you can wonder to yourself about which stage your child is currently at - baby elephant? bat? strange hairy creature? A funny and sweet story about childhood and parenthood, with a fantastic twist at the end.
on 19 October 2014
I bought this after reading other recommendations by reviewers. I usually enjoy Quentin Blake books so thought it was worth trying without seeing it or reading it. I was not disappointed!! What a great read! My grandchildren were insistent that neither I nor my husband,looked or behaved like the last creatures but we found it very funny and loved sharing it.
on 8 March 2014
We had this story when our kids were little and lost the original copy but have often talked about it as our children grew up. The story line describes how a baby grows through toddlerhood, childhood, adolescence and then to an adult by using animals to depict the stages. Very clever! Definately a story for the parent as much as the child.
on 8 October 2001
This is a classic "children's" picture book which should appeal to adults just as much, if not more!! It begins with the arrival of a Zagazoo (baby) into an innocent couple's life. The Zagazoo then changes form frequently- a screaming vulture, clumsy elephant, bat and hairy monster all feature. Finally, the unsuspecting parents turn into aged pelicans just as the Zagazoo has become "normal". It's really hillarious and just the sort of quality one would expect from Quentin Blake. A great gift for anyone venturing into parenthood.