Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 May 2001
This is a lovely book with wonderful illustrations. The text builds in momentum as the train races to pick up passengers to get them to the fair on time.There was a real sense of urgency about the style of writing which had my 2.5 year old son twitching with excitement. Now that he knows the story he loves looking at the pictures and pointing out all the things he knows in the richly illustrated pages. A gem of a book...buy buy buy..I can't wait to get the others in the series.I loved the story as well and I'm 34!!
on 20 October 2000
An action packed story with fabulous illustrations which my 20 month old son will not allow us to put down. The Little Red Train has to come to the rescue when the fast train to Pebblecombe Fair breaks down, and Duffy driver gets the passengers there via a series of absolutely charming stops. At each station there are hundreds of things to look at, with locations from industrial town to farming country ending up at the seaside at Pebblecombe. The text is excellent too with lovely train noises and a building sense of excitement as Duffy makes the little red train go faster and faster. Textual and illustrative threads go right through the story which never patronises but is eminently suitable for even the youngest child. This is a lovely book to read aloud and also for child to read to themselves. We originally got it from the library but are being forced to purchase as the aforementioned 20 month old would be desolate if he could no longer read it.
on 31 March 2003
This is a fantastic book for child and adult alike.Not only do you get really involved in making all the train noises but the child can anticipate what happens next - who Duffy Driver picks up at the next station, what they are carrying etc. The illustrations are excellent and my son and I can take ages on each page talking about what we see. He gets really caught up in the story and his vocabulary has expanded as a result of all that he sees through the book. Reading is so important for young children and with books like this, it becomes a pleasure for them!
on 12 October 2009
All the Little Red Train books have served my two daughters well. The pictures, often a post modern industrial landscape are very appealing to 2 year olds. The books then remain favourites through to 5, when the children (proudly!) read them alone. A good book is an old friend: this and the other Little Red Train books remain in use two years later.
An excellent buy - Green Light, Green Light for the Little Red Train (Little Red Train Series), The race with the Swish trains Little Red Train's Race to the Finish and the Great Big Little Red Train Little Red Train: Great Big Train are, perhaps the stars of the series in the eyes of my children.
on 14 January 2011
We have a couple of these books and my 2.5 year old, train mad son loves them.

They are detailed enough not to be too babyish but not so complicated or long that they lose interest. The pictures are nice and detailed, and, if you can get over some of the factual inconsistencies (exactly how do all the passengers getting off the express train fit onto the little red train??) they are nice stories.

The CD's are great too. We listened to this one pretty much non-stop for a 9 hour car journey (seriously), it didn't drive me mad and the boy didn't get bored with it either! Richard Briars has a great voice for audio books, not annoying but not too soporific.
on 19 February 2013
These Little Red Train books are lovely, and my boy adores them. A good story for a preschool book, but its the pictures that set them apart. Beautifully detailed - always something new to spot and talk about with my son, who has to read one each night (and I mean I have to read one EVERY night!). We have the whole set and they are standing the test of time.
on 14 November 2010
Book arrived as expected in good condition. Only complaint is i selected this specific book to buy as its cover matched the other books in the series my son has and that he recognises. So i was disappointed when a different cover copy of the book arrived. Otherwise book as expected
on 16 December 2014
nice book very nice illustration. However a bit close to the thomas the tank stories for a child to differentiate. On the plus it is the human characters who feature, the trains are inanimate so in that respect we would choose benedict blathwayt anytime.
on 5 December 2010
My four year old loves trains and loves this story. We had to read it every night for over a week when he first got it and it's still a favourite of his. The other books in this series are charming too with lovely illustrations and attention to detail.
on 8 June 2013
My children loved these books and now my cousin's little boy in Australia is hooked too. The detail in the illustrations make for hours of conversation and vocabulary improvement.