4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent confidence booster for 3 year olds and up.
Alfie goes to his first birthday party - without mum! He ends up helping a little girl who's even more worried than him, and feels very proud of himself. My 3-year old daughter has asked for this every night for months! I love the just-right detail of the words and illustrations.
Published on 17 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars bernard is a dick!
Alfie goes to Bernard's birthday party, but Bernard turns out to be a total dick. However our little hero shows his class and wins the girl.
Published 13 months ago by Mr. Alec MacKnight

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent confidence booster for 3 year olds and up., 17 May 2001
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another classic story from my childhood, 17 Feb. 2010
April Slocombe (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alfie Gives A Hand (Paperback)
When I was a little girl, one of my favourite stories took place at a birthday party where a girl got upset when a bubble burst, and this is the one. As with 'Dogger,' about three illustrations in this edition don't appear in 'The Shirley Hughes Collection.' I am starting to read as many of Shriley's books as possible at the moment and this is probably the best Alfie story so far. As Alfie's boisterous best friend Bernard shows off at the paty, Alfie holds onto his blanket but will he or won't he put it down? This is a good example of Shirley's work where she expresses her characters very well. 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from Year 1 children at packmoor, 13 Nov. 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Alfie Gives A Hand (Paperback)
We like this book, beacuse we like Alfie. We did think that Bernard was mean when he popped Min's bubble and threw the crayons in the air.
We liked it when Alfie was kind to the girl. We would recommend this book to anybody. Even the teacher enjoyed reading it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfie Gives a hand, 18 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Alfie Gives A Hand (Paperback)
Really lovely book, was pleasantly surprised!! My son who has only just turned two also really enjoyed it. I think because he had only just had his 2nd bday it was fresh in his mind what happens, with party games, blowing bubbles, opening presents, party food, birthday cake etc. Very well written in a lovely traditional way... just about to buy a further 4 more of Alfies' books by Shirley Hughes!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 30 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Alfie Gives A Hand (Paperback)
When my eldest daughter was small she had a blanket just like Alfie's. The story of Alfie putting his blanket down so he could hold hands with two friends is as fresh today as it was in the 1980's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfie gives a hand, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Alfie Gives A Hand (Paperback)
Perfect condition delivered on time, What else needs saying in a busy life. I got exactly what I ordered and am very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Alfie Gives A Hand (Paperback)
Great Book, bought for Granddaughter, always love the Alfie stories, used to read them to our children as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Alfie Gives A Hand (Paperback)
Fantastic really lovely and my 2 year old is enchanted by these books. That are great for bed time reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Shirley Hughes - Best Children's Author, 9 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Alfie Gives A Hand (Paperback)
As with all books written by Shirley Hughes, this is an excellent book which my 3 year old son really enjoys having read to him time and time and time again and so does dad.

We have all the Alfie, Annie Rose and Olly & Me books and can't recommend them highly enough. Shirley Hughes's writing is funny, endearing with recognisable stories. Her wonderful illustrations are little pieces of art, each and everyone. Nobody can depict the essence of young children the way they are, like Shirley Hughes.

Shirley Hughes's Nursery collection is excellent for under 3 age group.

I would also like to recommend the Katie books (Sunflowers, Mona Lisa & the Impressionists) by James Mayhew. Because of these books my 3 year old son loves going to art galleries to see the actual pictures.

3.0 out of 5 stars bernard is a dick!, 12 Jan. 2014
Mr. Alec MacKnight (London, England) - See all my reviews

Alfie Gives A Hand
Alfie Gives A Hand by Shirley Hughes (Paperback - 5 Aug. 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01